CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN - Page 26
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I waited 6 weeks for my axles and drive shaft... I know the feeling...
    Skidmarcx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE!

Re: CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN

I waited 6 weeks for my axles and drive shaft... I know the feeling

jmargo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 V

Quote Originally Posted by Rwaddy420 View Post
    Well I'm still waiting I'm running out of patience
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidmarcx View Post
    I waited 6 weeks for my axles and drive shaft... I know the feeling
    That is a DSS issue. CS is at the mercy of DSS to build and ship these in a timely manner and to make matters worst DSS just moved to a new facility which i'm sure slowed some things down.

Skidmarcx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE!
    I have nothing but good things to say about Creative Steel... They were on top of things and kept me in the loop

a12ozbottle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts v
    Quote Originally Posted by runsfromdacops
    has any one with this kit noticed that the driver side axle does not sit all the way into the diff as the passenger one does. it also dosnt lock in like the other side. i think the spacer that came with the kit the sits inside the diff is not supposed to be there

am i the only one with this issue?
    I could not get either side to lock in. I removed the clips from the old axle, and put them on the new one. Not sure if this was a good idea but they locked in after that. The clips that came on the new axle do not seem big enough to catch. Had a hell of a time getting the drivers side in.

Rwaddy420 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v, 94 vw corrado, 96 jeep xj w/8in lift, and more

Ok I need help. I installed the 8.8 diff in my cts-v today and went to put the axles in and they will not clip in. I put the rear diff together myself using a stock carrier from a explorer with 31 spine spider gears. Is the irs spider gears the same as a solid rear? I've looked on the internet and they appear the same and does not state any difference. Please help

a12ozbottle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts v
    Quote Originally Posted by Rwaddy420 View Post
    Ok I need help. I installed the 8.8 diff in my cts-v today and went to put the axles in and they will not clip in. I put the rear diff together myself using a stock carrier from a explorer with 31 spine spider gears. Is the irs spider gears the same as a solid rear? I've looked on the internet and they appear the same and does not state any difference. Please help
    Read above.

Rwaddy420 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v, 94 vw corrado, 96 jeep xj w/8in lift, and more

Thanks, I already tried that.

----------

I think I need IRS 31 spline spider gears

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

If the axles are sliding in at all then you have the same (31) axle/carrier spline count. If the CV is within an 1/8" from the axle seal in the housing then the axle is inserted all the way. If the axle doesn't seem to be "locking" in when installed, take a screw driver and "open up/stretch" that retaining ring just a tad, almost an unmeasurable amount. Open it too much will make installing the axle tougher and real tough to get the axle out someday down the road.
    Call me if you still have questions, Max

----------

While I was here I thought I would bring you guys up to speed on a few things about the 8.8's.

One, if any of you guys that have our kits are having vibrations, check the clearance between the rear cover of the diff and the subframe, the location in question is where the modification we make to the covers comes closest to the subframe, just behind where the parking brake cable passes by. Not all of our cars are built the same, we modify all of the covers to the same height from the mating surface to the diff housing, I've got over a 1/4" of clearance on our car but some guys have reported clearance issues and now I've seen it first hand. We will be shortening the covers even more from now on, future 8.8 installers will never know this was ever an issue.

Two, if any of you are experiencing leaks with your 8.8, try switching to 75-140 gear lube. If not, then the 75-90 we send with the diff is still ok to use. People than spend prolonged periods on a track or the freeway that are having leaks are heating the 75-90 to the point that it is so thin that it is leaking past the seals. We have 75-90 in our car and its bone dry under there, but we spend almost no time on a freeway and the weather in Oregon rarely goes over 90 which probably helps the 75-90 not leak.

Three, we will be getting a prototype one piece carbon fiber drive shaft from the Drive Shaft Shop here real soon, I'm waiting on an email for a better time frame but two weeks or less is what I've been told.

I've got a few more things to pass along but need to go for now,

Peace, Max
    brngrhd and brngrhd like this.
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

jmargo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 V

Any updates for the center bearing bracket ?

BradCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2005 CTS-V

I want to commend Max and his team for finding out the source of the vibration on my V!!! Since GM has a wide range of tolerances on the production line, my car is one where the rear diff cover was too close to the subframe. This made a HUGE improvement and got rid of driveline vibration!

This 8.8 differential is an amazing upgrade on our V's!! As you go through turns, the rear is so well planted and you can drive MUCH close to the handling limits....as the rear steps out it is much more controlled and as you accelerate out of a turn the traction is amazing.

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by jmargo View Post
    Any updates for the center bearing bracket ?
    Addressing this question was one of the other things I wanted to pass along, but need to talk to Drive Shaft Shop before I make any promises. My fear is that ONE style/size of carrier bearing bracket will not solve the vibrations that some of the 8.8 cars are having. All of our cars are different in ways that we can't see, each responds to differently to new parts, including an 8.8 swap that does away with the rubber drive shaft coupler that is designed to absorb vibrations. My car and many others have the same carrier bearing support bracket with no vibrations at any speed.
    Let me talk to DSS after I get the new carbon fiber unit, which should ship by the end of this week (5-10-13), after we put in the new one, maybe we could send the shaft that is in my car now to someone with vibrations to see if there is an improvement.
    Hammar and Hammar like this.
    maxx@creative-steel.com

BradCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2005 CTS-V

Max and others: When I had vibration, I really thought it was the carrier bearing bracket. Now, after clearancing the rear diff cover which was rubbing the subframe, all vibrations has disappeared!!! Just my .02 cents, but for those that have vibration issues, look at the front of rear differential cover where it comes close to the subframe.....shine a flashlight up there....if the rear diff cover is too close to the subframe it can cause a vibration sound which makes you think the entire drivetrain is vibrating.

UPDATE: The carbon fiber one piece drive shaft that I will be prototyping for our 8.8 kits has shipped from the Drive Shaft Shop, should be here the first of the week. Pretty exciting stuff.
    HAMSTAR, HAMSTAR, brngrhd and 1 others like this.
    maxx@creative-steel.com

izcain is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 V

Carbon Fiber would be an awesome upgrade! I have ran carbon shafts in some other cars and they were great!

Whats going on everyone? I thought I'd fill you guys in on the carbon fiber one piece drive shaft for our 8.8 kits. I received it from the Drive Shaft Shop about three weeks ago, got it installed the two weeks ago and have been driving it with no issues or vibrations. I've only tested it up to about 80mph, but according to DSS that should be fast enough for a "general purpose" test. I have 4.10 gears in my car so the drive shaft spins a bit faster than normal at any given speed and I have no vibes to report.
    If you are interested in a CF drive shaft and you know you will be going faster than 80, remember that the CF drive shafts are made for each customer specifically; meaning at the time of purchase you will be asked what the top speed of your car will be along with gear ratio and tire size. This way DSS will have the "critical speed " of the shaft, then make the shaft that will suit your needs.
    Here are a few pictures, one of the new shaft next to my old two piece, one after install and one of the CV that they use instead of the U-joint at the front end. I should also mention that the use of the CV at the front end of the shaft leaves a mile of room from the end of a short shifter to the bar that connects the CV to the carbon fiber section of the shaft.
    Frank at the DSS also said that they can make a one piece shaft out of aluminum which will save a few bucks over CF, but also take the carrier bearing out of the equation which is a possible vibration cause.
    I'll get our website updated on the prices. Thanks for being patient on this, I knew it would come.
    DSC02972.JPG
    DSC02975.JPG
    DSC02976.JPG
    maxx@creative-steel.com

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.