CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN - Page 17
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; And maybe the DS adapter piece also in case some of us want the new DSS CF shafts or something ...
    ichpen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN

And maybe the DS adapter piece also in case some of us want the new DSS CF shafts or something fancier.

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

I will get on it
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

killernoodle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V --- the RED one :)

I love that you're splitting this kit up into it's component parts
    So if I wanted just the driveshaft, axles, and inner stubs, would that come out to $2550 (SKU 78) - $600 (SKU 96) = $1950? I already made a ridiculously strong set of brackets from a ballistic fabrications 8.8 cover and a bunch of steel I have lying around and have a few 8.8s lying around. Also, can you quote me on stronger outer stubs? Lastly, what can you do for me if I need the driveshaft 3/4" shorter between the carrier bearing and the transmission?

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

The outer CV are $375, no problem on the shorter DS. The $1950 for the axles and DS is correct.
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

Quote Originally Posted by MotorMounts View Post
    I will get on it
    Nicely done Max.

Bionic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

I was under the car about to use the Creative Steel bushing tool to install my new pinion bushing when I noticed an issue. Holy crap my differential case is cracked right on the part that surrounds the bushing. Looks like I was one hard throttle launch away from rear end explosion. Looks like the new pinion bushing and bushing block are getting returned with the tool and a new 8.8" Diff needs to be ordered. I have to say Kristie at Creative Steel has been super helpful and I can't thank Creative Steel enough for getting this kit put together and available for us. Not having to worry about my rear differential in the future will be soooooo nice!

54inches is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 V

What would I do?.......

Part of my delay on getting back to this topic is frustration.

I put together a kit that was a $4225 Bolt-in option.

I said in my first post that it would be a good idea to put the money from the drive shaft adapter in to a new drive shaft. I built the drive shaft adapter for MY car to push along the R&D of the project, not because it was the best option, it was the best option AT THE TIME.

It is hard on my brain to defend all of my thoughts, all of what I say, and the methods that I use to build my products.

#1, "I want to get my own diff, how much would that cost" Now I need to dissect the kit and price each part individually and the solve the customers problems before they even happen. Example: Everybody knows that the factory carrier that comes in the T-Birds and Mark8's is a 28 spline unit.....right. If I send that customer 31 spline axles........guess what, customer is pissed because he is greasy, under his car, his fancy new parts don't fit each other and now he needs Bob to give him a ride to work tomorrow, so he can call call me on his lunch hour to ask how I'M going to fix the problem. After the phone call.....he gets on the forum to announce how disappointed he is.
    Just so everyone knows, the newer Cobra Mustangs (99-04 I believe) have a 31 spline carrier. I don't know if all the external dimension are the same as the older units or if those carriers accept aftermarket gears. Very important to know both.

Little things like....

#2, "How are the tubes welded to the rear bracket, do they pass through or just surface welded" ? What.......? Now I need to qualify how the brackets are assembled. There is more to ask if you want to know how well those "tubes" are stuck to the bracket/plates.
    Here it is: The base plates and the bosses are A36 material. The base plates are .375" thick and the bosses are 1.375" OD with a .562" ID which gives roughly a .400" thick wall. The bosses are weld prepped 1/4" on the end that mates to the plate. The welding process is known as "Spray Transfer". The machine voltage is set at 30 volts, the welding wire is .035 ER70S-6 and is fed at 600 inches per minute. The shielding gas is 90-10 Argon/CO2 the regulator is set at 25 CFM. The bosses are through bolted to the base plates to maintain location during the welding process. Call any local fab shop, repeat all that crap, see if they think those tubes are on there well enough. I forgot to answer the question.......Only surface welded.

#3, "A TrueTrac is a torsion type unit and doesn't need friction modifier". I am sorry.... the recommended oil from the gear manufacturer had the additive in there, I used a different brand but added it anyway to be safe . It was $15. My bad.

It also seems that the use of a used 8.8 housing has left the door open to devalue this diff replacement option. I have never been afraid of "used", especially on durable goods. Who would be afraid of a set of used wheels, most of the equipment is my shop was used. Go to craigslist.com, you'll see lots of used stuff that still has value. Bottom line, a differential housing doesn't wear our driving the kids back and forth to school. Hey, you don't even need to re-bore it out to reuse it.

I'm gonna go for now, this is starting to feel like politics and I'm not running for office. My car needs sub-frame bushings and my lathe doesn't make my brain hurt.
    Honestly, I am not sure how you maintained your sanity, during the barrage of idiocy and repetitive questions.

Ok, for you guys out there that want to supply your own diff I will sell just the brackets for $600 + shipping. I have a pretty good feeling that that number won't make everyone that reads it happy. If you are one of those unhappy readers please feel free to dismantle your car or buy an extra sub-frame as I did to mock-up the 8.8 installation. If you are one of those that feel that is a fair price, thank you for appreciating the many hours that have gone in to the R&D to make it a reality.

Another note to the "unhappy readers" that are thinking of tackling this project on their own. At the very least you now know for sure that the project can be done, it will fit.

Operators are standing by, Have a good day to all. Max
    That is great customer service right there. He listens and responds.

Quote Originally Posted by a12ozbottle View Post
    Kristie from Creative Steel sent me this fastener list, since there is no hardware if you don't buy the pumpkin from them. Not sure if everything in the list is required.
    That's sweet thanks!

I am going to acquire your own diff and save up the money and buy this stuff piece-mail.

Thank you for stepping up!!!!! I have already bought a few of your products!

jmargo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 V

Have you thought of offering a less expensive limited slip option for us cheapskates ?

soulja is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Sedan 6MT, (Sold) 05 Maggie & 8.8 V1.

Ordered the Partial Kit today! Can't wait to install it!

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

sounds cool. do you already have a diff in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by jmargo View Post
    Have you thought of offering a less expensive limited slip option for us cheapskates ?
    Don't think there's much cheaper than an eaton truetrac unless you go back to regular ford clutch based one and then you're basically back to potentially similar issues as ours if your car is overpowered or you abuse it regularly.

Personally had a change of heart and will be going to order the whole kit from Max. I spent ages researching the parts but honestly too much of a headache piecing this together.

Rakenjevnk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

The kit was built solid, looks great, and customer service (Max and Kristie) are the best. If you wanna hoon a caddy get the kit.

Quote Originally Posted by liqidvenom View Post
    sounds cool. do you already have a diff in mind?
    I have already purchased a Cobra Diff with 3.73 gears in it.

Heads up. If you are thinking of ordering, there is currently a 3-4 week wait for the driveshaft and axles from DSS.

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

hopefully thats from people buy the kits.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.