CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN - Page 14
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 393
Like Tree36Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by ichpen I'd be very interested in what you used to build your 8.8. I'm looking at this ...
  1. #196
    GeoffreySather is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-v
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    31
    Posts
    15

    Re: CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN

    Quote Originally Posted by ichpen View Post
    I'd be very interested in what you used to build your 8.8. I'm looking at this myself and leaning toward a wavetrack diff. Just completely lost when it comes to the rear.
    I used the Ford Racing M-4204-F318 carrier (Limited slip with carbon fiber clutches, 31 spline), the Ford Racing M-4209-88373 gears (3.73) and Koyo bearings.
    I pulled the diff from a 1995 Cougar and ended up with the rear cover from the CS kit.

  2. #197
    shadybx7's Avatar
    shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,483

    Re: CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN

    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffreySather View Post
    I used the Ford Racing M-4204-F318 carrier (Limited slip with carbon fiber clutches, 31 spline), the Ford Racing M-4209-88373 gears (3.73) and Koyo bearings.
    I pulled the diff from a 1995 Cougar and ended up with the rear cover from the CS kit.
    thanks for the pt# im trying to spec out if its worth sourcing my own iron diff for the swap or just buying it from CS.. how much did you end up spending?

    Any in car vids of you rowing through the gears? 75% of the reason i want a new rear is to get rid of the clunking drivetain.. I mean almost every shift from 1-2-3-4 will produce some pinnion lash.i know i could go aftermarket but seems to me that hard aftermarket a dif bushing make the this cts diff go pop...

  3. #198
    GeoffreySather is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-v
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    31
    Posts
    15

    Re: CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN

    Oh, and I had to replace the plate that the driveline connects to, the cougars was a smaller one.
    I have an Excel sheet I made with all the costs at home, I'll get back to you on the exact price of the diff.
    But my guess is between $700 to $850 on the diff with parts and labor.
    Closer to $700 though cause I bought two sets of gears and I had to buy another rear cover.
    shadybx7 and shadybx7 like this.

  4. #199
    a12ozbottle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts v
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6

    Re: CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN

    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffreySather View Post
    Oh, and I had to replace the plate that the driveline connects to, the cougars was a smaller one.
    I have an Excel sheet I made with all the costs at home, I'll get back to you on the exact price of the diff.
    But my guess is between $700 to $850 on the diff with parts and labor.
    Closer to $700 though cause I bought two sets of gears and I had to buy another rear cover.

    Ordered mine...worried about the diff cover now. Have an aluminum housing with the HD cover.

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffreySather View Post
    Oh, and I had to replace the plate that the driveline connects to, the cougars was a smaller one.
    I have an Excel sheet I made with all the costs at home, I'll get back to you on the exact price of the diff.
    But my guess is between $700 to $850 on the diff with parts and labor.
    Closer to $700 though cause I bought two sets of gears and I had to buy another rear cover.
    How much did you spend on hardware, bolts...etc?

  5. #200
    ichpen's Avatar
    ichpen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,383

    Re: CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN

    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffreySather View Post
    Oh, and I had to replace the plate that the driveline connects to, the cougars was a smaller one.
    I have an Excel sheet I made with all the costs at home, I'll get back to you on the exact price of the diff.
    But my guess is between $700 to $850 on the diff with parts and labor.
    Closer to $700 though cause I bought two sets of gears and I had to buy another rear cover.
    I'd be interested in the spreadsheet, I can put it up for all to see if you have issues sharing it. Congrats on figuring out a viable budget diff options btw, much appreciate the info.

  6. #201
    GeoffreySather is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-v
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    31
    Posts
    15

    Re: CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN

    Quote Originally Posted by ichpen View Post
    I'd be interested in the spreadsheet, I can put it up for all to see if you have issues sharing it. Congrats on figuring out a viable budget diff options btw, much appreciate the info.
    Okay I lied, it would've been about $839 assembled without a new flange...

    Rusty Ol' Ford 8.8" $106
    Carrier $219
    Gears and bearings $235
    Diff Assembly $135
    Por-15 and paint $51
    Rear cover weld $32
    Bolts nuts and washers $6
    Diff bushings $33
    Ford Racing Gears(2nd set) $140
    New Rear cover $100
    I do not know the cost of the flange as it was included in the install price.....
    Total cost for me $1,057
    As you can see some of the costs were not necessary, so hopefully this can save you guys some money.
    But shit I could rebuild this thing for $500, lot's better than a $1700 stock replacement

  7. #202
    ichpen's Avatar
    ichpen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,383

    Re: CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN

    Thanks for that.

    Rusty TBird 8.8 in the basement.... ermmm, ok, let's see if we can get a wavetrac in there. Maybe I should just call Max at this point.

  8. #203
    wcryan is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V Maggied
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Escondido, CA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,065

    Re: CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN

    wavetrac? I keep hearing these different terms with these diff's. What do they all mean?

  9. #204
    ichpen's Avatar
    ichpen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,383

    Re: CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN

    Quote Originally Posted by wcryan View Post
    wavetrac? I keep hearing these different terms with these diff's. What do they all mean?
    No kidding, I'm still edumicating myself on this.

    Here's a writeup. http://www.wavetrac.net/technical.htm.

    Basically from what I gather it's the cream of the crop of carriers. It's torque biasing with with 'wave' profile gears that come into play at zero torque conditions.

    In reality from what I hear, it's good for exit speeds or the transition from decel to accel which in more traditional diffs i.e. truetrac has a delay.

    It's very popular with the M3 crowd (their boards are lit up with people doing a swap).

    Down side is it costs an arm and a leg. Twice the cost of a posi/truetrac at least. Is it really needed for us? Probably not. Do I want it? Yep.

  10. #205
    shadybx7's Avatar
    shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,483

    Re: CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN

    iron seems like the way to go.. the New ATS has a Iron pumpkin, different sized axles, and dual front diff mounts.. im glad somthing good came of this V1 experiment that doesnt cost 60k new


    this is what i have been reading:
    https://www.brutespeed.com/rear_end_information.htm

  11. #206
    ichpen's Avatar
    ichpen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,383

    Re: CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN

    Good article except wavetrac is no only available for 9", you can get it in 31 and 33 spline 8.8s from Moser.

  12. #207
    GeoffreySather is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-v
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    31
    Posts
    15

    Re: CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN

    Quote Originally Posted by ichpen View Post
    No kidding, I'm still edumicating myself on this.

    Here's a writeup. http://www.wavetrac.net/technical.htm.

    Basically from what I gather it's the cream of the crop of carriers. It's torque biasing with with 'wave' profile gears that come into play at zero torque conditions.

    In reality from what I hear, it's good for exit speeds or the transition from decel to accel which in more traditional diffs i.e. truetrac has a delay.

    It's very popular with the M3 crowd (their boards are lit up with people doing a swap).

    Down side is it costs an arm and a leg. Twice the cost of a posi/truetrac at least. Is it really needed for us? Probably not. Do I want it? Yep.


    Yeah...... you're nuts....

  13. #208
    wcryan is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V Maggied
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Escondido, CA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,065

    Re: CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN

    so if you buy an 8.8 kit and put a cobra rear end in it, it wont be posi? Sorry if thats a dumb question. I'm just a little confused

  14. #209
    ichpen's Avatar
    ichpen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,383

    Re: CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN

    Quote Originally Posted by wcryan View Post
    so if you buy an 8.8 kit and put a cobra rear end in it, it wont be posi? Sorry if thats a dumb question. I'm just a little confused
    From loose understanding the Cobra's came with posi from the factory. I'd say whatever you buy you should spend the time to rebuild it or freshen it up as clutch packs tend to wear out on the posi units.

  15. #210
    soulja's Avatar
    soulja is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Sedan 6MT, (Sold) 05 Maggie & 8.8 V1.
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Belleville, Mi.
    Age
    36
    Posts
    511

    Re: CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN

    I am really interested in this conversion. I have read through the thread. Just to be clear, the 8.8 differential is either from the older Thunderbirds or older Mustang Cobras?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting