CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN - Page 11
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by liqidvenom built rear v's dont do drag strips......
    shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

Re: CREATIVE STEEL: CTS-V 8.8 Rear Diff Swap BOLT IN

Quote Originally Posted by liqidvenom View Post
    built rear v's dont do drag strips...
    Rakenjevnk and Rakenjevnk like this.

RADARB8 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V TURBOCHARGED

Yeah right,,I'll spend 5 grand just to go to the grocery store

Rakenjevnk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I broke my gen 4 at the drag strip, now I have the CS rear, annnddd they shut down the local drag strip. Yay. Now i get lightning fast grocery run launches! At the drag strip I am now worried about rear control arms and associated bushings...

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by Rakenjevnk View Post
    I broke my gen 4 at the drag strip
    Hmmm didn't know anyone had broken one yet. Was it all out 5k dump abuse or moderate launching? Not that I care particularly, if mine breaks I'm going 8.8.

wcryan is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V Maggied

What exacly do you need if you buy half the kit. Like posted on their website. Just an 8.8 pumpkin with the right gears?

GeoffreySather is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-v

I bought the kit with the mounting brackets, the axles without outer CVs and the driveline for $2550 + $150 shipping.
    I got a junkyard diff from a '95 Cougar for $106, replaced all the internals (carrier, gearset and bearings) for $454 plus $135 for labor and $50 for POR-15 to get rid of that lovely cast iron rust color.
    I also had to get the rear cover hacked up and welded to fit. I have to reuse the front mount bushings from the cougar, get some lock washers and nuts for the rear bolts and longer bolts for the back cover.
    All in all I saved enough through building my own diff to get the CS motor mounts and the tranny mount, some pacesetters and some magnaflow cats. God bless the junkyard.
    Damn drivetrain should feel effin tight when I'm done.

I'm just up in the air wether or not I should get the aluminum from the cobra's or the Stainless steel. Obviously I want lighter; but is it gonna hold up?

bjohnso0 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS V

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffreySather View Post
    I bought the kit with the mounting brackets, the axles without outer CVs and the driveline for $2550 + $150 shipping.
    I got a junkyard diff from a '95 Cougar for $106, replaced all the internals (carrier, gearset and bearings) for $454 plus $135 for labor and $50 for POR-15 to get rid of that lovely cast iron rust color.
    I also had to get the rear cover hacked up and welded to fit. I have to reuse the front mount bushings from the cougar, get some lock washers and nuts for the rear bolts and longer bolts for the back cover.
    All in all I saved enough through building my own diff to get the CS motor mounts and the tranny mount, some pacesetters and some magnaflow cats. God bless the junkyard.
    Damn drivetrain should feel effin tight when I'm done.
    Now that is the smokin' deal price that the V community has been looking for all these years!!!!!!
    It cost me over $600 just to make my diff girdle. Maybe I could sell my diff with the girdle then sell the driveshaft to someone and pay for more than half of the conversion. $2700 to my door, I'll build my own diff so labor is free to me. This is definately in the future of my car!!!!!!

Max, please don't quit making these parts, it'll catch on for that price. If nobody else who does their own work jumps on this, they need a mental health exam. That price isn't much off a new stocker.

GeoffreySather is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-v

Max told me that the aluminum diffs were much thicker so they should be fine for what we have.... stock. They put up with the muscle car abuse given to them
    from the Cobra community....stock, although some like the live axle better. Speaking of, I had a Cobra fly past me the other day, took me til about 115 to pass him,
    but damn, I sure thought I wouldn't have put that much fight into it, the whine sounded pissed behind me. But back to the topic, I'm very excited about this kit, I
    was so close to replacing my loosey diff with a gen 4 and I ran into this(gen 1 at 73,000 miles, with no regard for its safety). It was going to be nearly $2500 with
    new axles , a new bushing and a new diff,most likely only to have it fail again in the future, cause I'm not necessarily gentle with my V. This was definitely a no
    brainer, not much more than a new stocker with good axles yet still costing less than two of them. If you enjoy your LS motor to the full extent, you will buy
    two... or more.

found a cobra pumpkin complete with 4.10's. $250. Very very happy that this kit is one step closer

Hendrix-Engineering is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): escalade

The cast rear is only 4 lbs heavier,no big deal but a ton quiter and stronger.I would not be afraid to use the aluminum but i prefer the cast

Hendrix, What do you think about giving the 8.8 a 4k drop in the V? Think it'll be fine?

Rakenjevnk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

That is what happens to a bitch ass Gen4 when you drop it hard at the drag strip. At least I believe it's a Gen4, if someone could confirm that from serial number please let me know...

I am unsure if anyone would be interested in this thing, If you turn the upper CV-stub that is in it the front still turns and feels nice so I presume the innards are good but I can't get that stub out...

Any ideas regarding what I should do with it? Dumpster? Someone could use the guts I presume... It was super quiet when I ran it.

IMAG0116.jpg

IMAG0114.jpg

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by Rakenjevnk View Post
    That is what happens to a bitch ass Gen4 when you drop it hard at the drag strip. At least I believe it's a Gen4, if someone could confirm that from serial number please let me know...

I am unsure if anyone would be interested in this thing, If you turn the upper CV-stub that is in it the front still turns and feels nice so I presume the innards are good but I can't get that stub out...

Any ideas regarding what I should do with it? Dumpster? Someone could use the guts I presume... It was super quiet when I ran it.
    Yep gen IV.

1st---- 10361308
    2nd---- 12378261
    3rd----- 15793756
    4th----- 25873498

Ive never seen one break in that place. You must have slammed that thing hard. But as in what to do with it. Sell the gears and dump the pumpkin

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.