Brake Lines
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Brake Lines in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; ...
    branland is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V SC

Brake Lines

I finally got around to replacing the rear driverís side break line. I had replaced all the rubber lines with braided lines about 6 months ago. When I lowered the car the rear drivers side line failed. So I replaced it with a stock line and set out to figure out why it failed. Typically braided lines should last the life of your vehicle.

I jacked up the front of the car and crawled under and took a picture of the rear line.

Since I lowered the car, the distance between the caliper and the attach point on the frame increased causing the line to be under tension. When I replaced it with the braided line, which will not flex, it eventually failed. Here is what the braided line looked like when the car was off the ground. (caliper closer to the attach point)

So I took the stock line off and had a new braided line made that was 3 inches longer. When I put the car back down on the ground there was enough slack in the line to account for suspension movement.

There has been some discussion on this forum and the other about whether installing braided lines makes a difference. I would say that there is very little difference between a new braided line and a new rubber line. But after about 5 years or 50k miles the rubber line will start to expand under pressure. Whether we all can distinguish the difference (especially if you bleed you brakes often) is another matter.

So if you have a V1 and have 2 piece rotors or pads or dot4 fluid, the braided lines would be a good addition to the package. If for no other reason than, these lines will last the life of the vehicle.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cam3439 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Re: Brake Lines

So, is that the only line that needed replacing? What brake lines did you upgrade to? I plan to put some on and also lower the car, and would like not to run into the same problem. What company made your custom line?

I had mine made at Western Hose and Gasket here in San Diego. But any place that makes brakes lines will make a braided one if you bring in the stock on and tell them to make one just like it 3 inches longer.

Here's what was on my receipt:

BRQ ASSY 1.5 1/8" ID SS BRADED HOSE - Clear Jacket w/ PRINT --CPLD-- Gray braided hose Insert (for DOT Hoses) -- BY-- Fitting - Banjo 10x13 mm --WITH-- fitting - Female 7/16x24NS (Alt HFIF24) Done brakequip

It was 3 inches longer than stock about 17" long. It was about $45.

edit. The passenger side rear has slack but probably has some tension during suspension travel. I don't think it will fail although it could probably stand to be an inch longer.

Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

It's interesting you say braided will last the life of the vehicle, but rubber won't. I bet there are millions of vehicles out there that have run the course of their life with the stock brake lines still in-tact. I bet very few cars have piled on serious mileage with braided lines by comparison.

In your specific case, have you thought about zip-tieing the line to the shock boot? Just to make sure it never gets stuck under it again? That picture seems to be at ride-height, where there is plenty of overlap of the line. But what about if the suspension is fully extended? Does it get close enough that it might get stuck again?

Also, your picture of the stock line, that thing looks like it is completely stretched! Is that just an illusion, or are the lines really short?

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
    It's interesting you say braided will last the life of the vehicle, but rubber won't. I bet there are millions of vehicles out there that have run the course of their life with the stock brake lines still in-tact. I bet very few cars have piled on serious mileage with braided lines by comparison.

In your specific case, have you thought about zip-tieing the line to the shock boot? Just to make sure it never gets stuck under it again? That picture seems to be at ride-height, where there is plenty of overlap of the line. But what about if the suspension is fully extended? Does it get close enough that it might get stuck again?

Also, your picture of the stock line, that thing looks like it is completely stretched! Is that just an illusion, or are the lines really short?
    The rubber lines will last, but not without expanding under pressure over time. I have the stock lines in my Mountaineer that has over 165k on it and the brakes work fine. My go kart has all braided lines and they fine too. Are we all in tune with our cars enough to feel a difference if braided lines are the only change? I don't know.

The braided line that failed didn't get sucked under anything, it failed at the angled fitting on the caliper. There was too much tension on the line. The stock line in the picture is stretched and is under tension at my ride hide. I gets worse during suspension travel. I have GC at the minimum ride height and QA1's.

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Odd. How does lowering tighten up the slack? Seems like it would bring these components closer together, not farther apart.

Seems like that stock line was installed incorrectly to be that tight. Had they been removed? The connection point bolt could have been flipped..

I just installed a gc kit and in the rear it is all the way down. Don't have my qa1s on yet but don't think that matters. It looks as if it could only tighten up if the car was airborne.

When I got that kit from UUC, they said to install that line up and over. If you install it the other way it may get pinched, if that's not the case, if you install it the other way it probably won't be under tension. Mine have all been replaced and I thought I remember it being up and over when I removed it. If everyone is installing it the other way with no issues, maybe I misunderstood.

Maybe someone who has never replaced theirs can take a look.

The attach point to the caliper is above the frame point when the suspension is extended. When you put the car back on the ground the wheel goes higher into the wheel well making the distance greater.

Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by branland View Post
    The braided line that failed didn't get sucked under anything, it failed at the angled fitting on the caliper. There was too much tension on the line. The stock line in the picture is stretched and is under tension at my ride hide. I gets worse during suspension travel. I have GC at the minimum ride height and QA1's.
    Ah, interesting. In the picture, there is sort of a wear mark on the shock body, and in the "short" braided picture, the brake line seems to get close to the shock there. I figured the line got caught between the shock body and the shock boot/dust cover or something, causing it to either abrade or get pulled.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.