Help needed on axle install
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Help needed on axle install in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I am in the process of installing the gforce axles and need some guidance. I started on the passenger side ...
    garrettg is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Help needed on axle install

I am in the process of installing the gforce axles and need some guidance. I started on the passenger side loosely following the writeup posted on a thread. I have the stock axle disconnected from the diff side and sitting below it. I also have the hub/knuckle disconnected from everything expect the upper a-arm ball joint. The issue is I can't seem to get the axle free from the hub. I have tried to hit it with a rubber mallet and dead blow hammer. I have tried using axle pullers from autozone/advanced auto and the flange is too short so I can't get it locked down on the studs or get the thread started in the middle. They have one with an extended flange but the studs get in the way of getting that in place as well. How are people getting the axle freed up from the hub and out of the car? I have read several posts were pisnuoff says don't disconnect the upper a-arm to pull the axle from the diff which I agree no problem there, but can't seem to free it up from the hub itself. I do have the axle nut off but unable to push it through. I also tried the 3 bolts holding the hub to the knuckle but the axle joint is preventing fully removing those as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

branland is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V SC

Re: Help needed on axle install

I used a big washer. Worked like a charm.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...s-learned.html

Did you disconnect the A-arm ball joint then to pull the whole thing out? I understand the concept of using the axle weight inside of a metal bar but I can't get it away from the car.

The problem is I can't seem to get that upper a-arm ball joint loose nor can I get the hub bolts loose, nor can I hammer the axle through so it all sitting together on the car. Any suggestions welcomed, I even tried an small air hammer on the axle itself based on a G8 owner thread but no luck with that either.

I did disconnect the A-arm Joint. I removed the bolt then hit it a few times with a dead blow hammer and it pushed through. I used my impact gun to remove Hub bolts.

So let me see if I have this right, you removed the nut from the upper a-arm then hit the upper a-arm bolt with a dead blow hammer from underneath to disconnect it? After that was done you pulled the entire rear knuckle with axle attached off the car. While off the car then you loosed the 3 hub bolts using an impact? Does that all sound right. Sorry been fighting this since Sunday and can't get my upper a-arm bolt to budge at all.

Are the u-joints perhaps larger on the 06-07 V, I don't see how the hub bolts can be removed with the axle attached on the car as the bolts quickly run into the u-joint when backing them out. There is also no way to get a socket on the lower again due to the space taken up by the u-joint.

I put the whole thing back together tried a pry the a-arm ball joint again no luck just won't budge. Thinking I should just take it to the pros on this one since I can't free the axle or the knuckle to get the thing off the car.

Found this trick posted on another forum and it helped big time.
    "What I did (and ewill3rd does) was use a 1/2" extension for a socket wrench BACKWARDS (so the opening was facing the threads/nut. I loosened (not removed yet) the nut and then put the extension on the nut and hit the ext. with a hammer. One good crack and the Ball Joint popped loose."

I took a 1/2inch impact extension and 4 pound hammer and finally popped that thing. Now the fun begins as I have the axle and knuckle still attached but out of the car.

I removed the big axle bolt with a 33mm socket while still in the car. I thought I removed the A-arm too. But I see you've got it out now. Good luck.

branland thanks for responding have a few more questions if you don't mind.

Sounds like then you took the axle with knuckle off the car then? If so how did you separate the outer cv joint and knuckle or did you just leave that together, or did you remove the knuckle while the axle was still connected to the diff? Trying to figure out the best way to move forward from here and if I really need to disconnect the knuckle or just leave it on the outer cv joint and focus on getting the axle replaced within the cv joints at this point.

Decided to let the dealer mess with it. I am not sure how people are getting the hub and axle apart without using this part or a much bigger hammer than I was willing to hit it with.

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-6290-Front.../dp/B0002SRGXO

I tried different hammers and even dropping the entire thing 4 foot on itself hub side down with a socket fixed to the axle nut taking the impact hoping to push the axle spline through the hub. It just wouldn't bust for whatever reason. I was not able to fully support the entire axle hub side up in my garage to really pound straight down on it which was a suggestion.

Castro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

I had a very similar experience and ended up taking the whole assembly to a garage to get it apart. Soaked in PB blaster overnight, airhammer attacks, soaked overnight AGAIN, more airhammer time and it finally let go. Make sure you put a little antiseize on the splines when you put her back in. Good luck, I definitely feel your pain on this one.

Good to know I am not the only one. The gforce axles are great once installed!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.