Seriously considering converting to e85 fuel
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Seriously considering converting to e85 fuel in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; "Maggie's in the mail" Hendrix running way behind for some unknown reason. By some dumb coincidence, I live 2 miles ...
  1. #1
    leosul@verizon.net is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Western Massachusetts
    Posts
    203

    Seriously considering converting to e85 fuel

    "Maggie's in the mail" Hendrix running way behind for some unknown reason. By some dumb coincidence, I live 2 miles from one of the only e85 stations in Massachusetts. Talked with the owner-he's been there for 2 years, sells a good amount of the e85 and doesn't plan on stopping anytime soon. So I have a good source. Looks like the only other changes are tuning (big timing advance, 7-8 degrees), adequate fuel supply-I already bought the Racetronix 255LPH in-tank model and injector size. Called Hendrix today and the kit comes with 42#, Thomas says he'll see what he can do to change to 60#, but Magnuson probably won't do it. The pure HP/TQ gains just look too good to pass up, especially with the Maggie. I'd likely break 500 RWH without headers! The e85 runs much cooler, which is another benefit. It does eat up 30% more fuel than gas, but I have a Toyota Camry as my DD, so who cares? DEEDUB posted his dyno charts with e85 a couple months back on this forum and he lives in DENVER! I'm really having a hard time finding reasons why NOT to do this mod...any opinions? One more thing: if the big change is timing, could I carry one of those hand held tuning devices and just decrease the timing if I ever needed to run on premium gas fuel?
    leo

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Aurora40's Avatar
    Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    The Old Dominion
    Age
    39
    Posts
    730

    Re: Seriously considering converting to e85 fuel

    On FI, I believe the main reason to run E85 is that you can run more boost. From what I understand the MP112 would be a poor choice for lots more boost/airflow. But I'm not speaking from any experience.

  4. #3
    leosul@verizon.net is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Western Massachusetts
    Posts
    203

    Re: Seriously considering converting to e85 fuel

    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
    On FI, I believe the main reason to run E85 is that you can run more boost. From what I understand the MP112 would be a poor choice for lots more boost/airflow. But I'm not speaking from any experience.
    I will be going with an overdriven harmonic balancer Innovators West, 10% I believe. This will spin the maggie 10% faster, which brings boost to 7.5-8 range, as I'm told. Others, such as deedub have gone to e85 and picked up 40 BHP on that mod alone. Check his dyno runs from 12/09 on this forum:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...maggied-v.html
    As long as I can get at this stuff consistently, can't really see a good reason not to give it a shot. It's relatively easy to go back to gas, if need be.
    leo

  5. #4
    CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,788

    Re: Seriously considering converting to e85 fuel

    Quote Originally Posted by leosul@verizon.net View Post
    I will be going with an overdriven harmonic balancer Innovators West, 10% I believe. This will spin the maggie 10% faster, which brings boost to 7.5-8 range, as I'm told. Others, such as deedub have gone to e85 and picked up 40 BHP on that mod alone. Check his dyno runs from 12/09 on this forum:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...maggied-v.html
    As long as I can get at this stuff consistently, can't really see a good reason not to give it a shot. It's relatively easy to go back to gas, if need be.
    leo
    Nope no reason not to as long as you have consistent access to it.

    As for going back quickly, short answer no. Stoichiometric for E85 is much lower than premium so that would need switched as well as the timing. Buy yourself HP Tuners though and it won't be difficult to do. That or you could have 2 different tunes with one of these: http://www.tunedbyfrost.com/products_df01.htm

  6. #5
    leosul@verizon.net is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Western Massachusetts
    Posts
    203

    Re: Seriously considering converting to e85 fuel

    Quote Originally Posted by CancerJCC View Post
    Nope no reason not to as long as you have consistent access to it.

    As for going back quickly, short answer no. Stoichiometric for E85 is much lower than premium so that would need switched as well as the timing. Buy yourself HP Tuners though and it won't be difficult to do. That or you could have 2 different tunes with one of these: http://www.tunedbyfrost.com/products_df01.htm
    That "Tuned by Frost" looks like the perfect solution for my project-they even specifically mention e85 tunes in their write up. I looks like this gizmo would allow me to have both the gas and e85 tunes at my fingertips for around $450, or the price of a cheap laptop. Thanks for the link. Couple people have also mentioned "HP Tuners" not sure what that is, but I will check that out too.

  7. #6
    DMM's Avatar
    DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Age
    37
    Posts
    388

    Re: Seriously considering converting to e85 fuel

    I think you are getting way too involved with this. If memory serves correct, I think I am right there with another E85 guy at 487 whp with just a Maggie, 1 7/8" headers, and maybe a cam from the previous owner. I would get your Maggie on there before you decide to limit yourself to the E85.

    It is going to get really old trying not to drive out of range of your only E85 station, especially if you lose power as a result of it. I would use that money and get a cam kit so I always had the power no matter where I drive.

    I finally decided on a new Blower cam so that will be done by this time next month, hoping to get to that magical 500 whp.

    Edit: One last thing, when I got my Maggie kit from Hendrix in August, it came with 60 lb injectors.

  8. #7
    leosul@verizon.net is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Western Massachusetts
    Posts
    203

    Re: Seriously considering converting to e85 fuel

    Quote Originally Posted by DMM View Post
    I think you are getting way too involved with this. If memory serves correct, I think I am right there with another E85 guy at 487 whp with just a Maggie, 1 7/8" headers, and maybe a cam from the previous owner. I would get your Maggie on there before you decide to limit yourself to the E85.

    It is going to get really old trying not to drive out of range of your only E85 station, especially if you lose power as a result of it. I would use that money and get a cam kit so I always had the power no matter where I drive.

    I finally decided on a new Blower cam so that will be done by this time next month, hoping to get to that magical 500 whp.

    Edit: One last thing, when I got my Maggie kit from Hendrix in August, it came with 60 lb injectors.
    Thomas from Hendrix just called "no way on the 60#s, Magnuson refuses to stock any longer." Aint that a shame! Especially since they run about $400/set. See the Tuned by Frost link http://www.tunedbyfrost.com/products_df01.htm that cancer forwarded to me. Basically a computer that stores multiple tunes, say e85 and 93 octane (which is already 10% ethanol in most states anyway!) You just push one button to switch over. This would allow the V to run on either fuel. The e-85 "tune" is basically just a big timing advance like 8-9 degrees. As long as I have the pump and injectors to support the 30% increase in consumption, should be a viable method?

  9. #8
    CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,788

    Re: Seriously considering converting to e85 fuel

    Quote Originally Posted by leosul@verizon.net View Post
    Thomas from Hendrix just called "no way on the 60#s, Magnuson refuses to stock any longer." Aint that a shame! Especially since they run about $400/set. See the Tuned by Frost link http://www.tunedbyfrost.com/products_df01.htm that cancer forwarded to me. Basically a computer that stores multiple tunes, say e85 and 93 octane (which is already 10% ethanol in most states anyway!) You just push one button to switch over. This would allow the V to run on either fuel. The e-85 "tune" is basically just a big timing advance like 8-9 degrees. As long as I have the pump and injectors to support the 30% increase in consumption, should be a viable method?
    I think what DMM is getting at is that you should get your Maggie on there first and enjoy it for a bit. THEN if you are craving more power go ahead and convert to E-85. The link that I posted is essentially running "2 PCM's". I have no experience with them but recall the discussion brought up about them being useful for E-85 applications. You should definetely give them a call though as "Frost" is quite a knowledgeable tuner and could give you the down and dirty details if you wanna go that route.

    HP Tuners is hardware and software that allows you to "tune" the PCM. It is the suite that the pros use to tune your car with. That said if you don't have a LOT of time and rather have the money to have someone else do it I would go that route. There are a bajillion (yes that many) tables that our cars use and learning how they each function and what to do with them takes a LOT of time. Not to discourage you but the price tag is high if you aren't going to be tuning your own stuff and rather just want mess around with it. IMHO if you have the money just get dyno tuned by a pro and get yourself a wb, fuel pressure, and boost gauge and call it a day. (I "tune" with HP Tuners but its a PITA sometimes and I only do so because my initial tune would have cost me nearly the suite price by the time I factored in towing and tuning and downtime of my dd). Hope that helps, again I don't wanna discourage you just trying to help you out. If you got the bills though you will never learn so much as using HP Tuners yourself...

  10. #9
    CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,788

    Re: Seriously considering converting to e85 fuel

    Oh and BTW call Magnuson directly as a LOT of us got 60lb. injectors directly from Magnuson. They might not be stocking them now but I would push for them rather than waste the money spent on 42's. Perhaps tell them 42's will do you no good and you want their price reduced from the kit? G/L.

  11. #10
    Twitch's Avatar
    Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,988

    Re: Seriously considering converting to e85 fuel

    oops

  12. #11
    Twitch's Avatar
    Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,988

    Re: Seriously considering converting to e85 fuel

    FWIW I also think it's a bad idea to go E85 if you only have one gas station. After it all adds up, you'll be pissed you can't go 100 miles from home without leaving all that power behind.

    And an overdrive pulley should get you about 10 psi without headers.

    With Meth, I've had it at 26* timing with no knock. Did not test the limit because until I get it on a dyno, I wont know if I'm still making power at 26*.

  13. #12
    Castro's Avatar
    Castro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    PA
    Age
    31
    Posts
    445

    Re: Seriously considering converting to e85 fuel

    Or get a custom fuel cell that fills your spare tire area for extra range...

  14. #13
    dre2013 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '04 Cobra, '00 TA
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Age
    32
    Posts
    23

    Re: Seriously considering converting to e85 fuel

    there are huge gains to be had with e85. on my dsm by just adding a tad more boost and an e85 tune i gained 46whp. its a little harder to start on the really cold mornings but other than that no problems. if its not your DD i'd go for it

  15. #14
    zinner's Avatar
    zinner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V / 2010 SRX 2.8T
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    290

    Re: Seriously considering converting to e85 fuel

    Just remember this. The *only* E85 station in the entire state. If your CTS isn't the daily driver it might be ok but still risky. I would only switch if it was a track vehicle or there were more stations than 1 in the area.

  16. #15
    thebigjimsho's Avatar
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In the barrel of a gun...
    Posts
    49,300

    Re: Seriously considering converting to e85 fuel

    Great, let's just keep driving the price of corn up. Buy a cam.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting