Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Seriously considering converting to e85 fuel

5K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  thebigjimsho 
#1 · (Edited)
"Maggie's in the mail" Hendrix running way behind for some unknown reason. By some dumb coincidence, I live 2 miles from one of the only e85 stations in Massachusetts. Talked with the owner-he's been there for 2 years, sells a good amount of the e85 and doesn't plan on stopping anytime soon. So I have a good source. Looks like the only other changes are tuning (big timing advance, 7-8 degrees), adequate fuel supply-I already bought the Racetronix 255LPH in-tank model and injector size. Called Hendrix today and the kit comes with 42#, Thomas says he'll see what he can do to change to 60#, but Magnuson probably won't do it. The pure HP/TQ gains just look too good to pass up, especially with the Maggie. I'd likely break 500 RWH without headers! The e85 runs much cooler, which is another benefit. It does eat up 30% more fuel than gas, but I have a Toyota Camry as my DD, so who cares? DEEDUB posted his dyno charts with e85 a couple months back on this forum and he lives in DENVER! I'm really having a hard time finding reasons why NOT to do this mod...any opinions? One more thing: if the big change is timing, could I carry one of those hand held tuning devices and just decrease the timing if I ever needed to run on premium gas fuel?
leo

#3 ·
I will be going with an overdriven harmonic balancer Innovators West, 10% I believe. This will spin the maggie 10% faster, which brings boost to 7.5-8 range, as I'm told. Others, such as deedub have gone to e85 and picked up 40 BHP on that mod alone. Check his dyno runs from 12/09 on this forum:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...formance/188369-e85-conversion-maggied-v.html
As long as I can get at this stuff consistently, can't really see a good reason not to give it a shot. It's relatively easy to go back to gas, if need be.
leo

#6 ·
I think you are getting way too involved with this. If memory serves correct, I think I am right there with another E85 guy at 487 whp with just a Maggie, 1 7/8" headers, and maybe a cam from the previous owner. I would get your Maggie on there before you decide to limit yourself to the E85.

It is going to get really old trying not to drive out of range of your only E85 station, especially if you lose power as a result of it. I would use that money and get a cam kit so I always had the power no matter where I drive.

I finally decided on a new Blower cam so that will be done by this time next month, hoping to get to that magical 500 whp.

Edit: One last thing, when I got my Maggie kit from Hendrix in August, it came with 60 lb injectors.

#7 ·
Thomas from Hendrix just called "no way on the 60#s, Magnuson refuses to stock any longer." Aint that a shame! Especially since they run about $400/set. See the Tuned by Frost link http://www.tunedbyfrost.com/products_df01.htm that cancer forwarded to me. Basically a computer that stores multiple tunes, say e85 and 93 octane (which is already 10% ethanol in most states anyway!) You just push one button to switch over. This would allow the V to run on either fuel. The e-85 "tune" is basically just a big timing advance like 8-9 degrees. As long as I have the pump and injectors to support the 30% increase in consumption, should be a viable method?

#9 ·
Oh and BTW call Magnuson directly as a LOT of us got 60lb. injectors directly from Magnuson. They might not be stocking them now but I would push for them rather than waste the money spent on 42's. Perhaps tell them 42's will do you no good and you want their price reduced from the kit? G/L.

#17 ·
CAlled: Still "no!" and Thomas getting testy about "messing with his thing." He apparently has some kind of inside set up that is rigid because of the price discount. My friend just bought the MP 112 kit directly from Magnuson (yes, it can be done) and his came with a nice little hand held tuner worth $300. I'm told I will not be getting one of those, just a plain box that only holds the stock tune for the MP 112 kit. Thomas has agreed to "credit" me $200 if I chose to delete the standard 42# injectors. I'm told these can sell for $300 new on Ebay. So, as usual, one gets what one pays for.

#10 ·
oops

#11 ·
FWIW I also think it's a bad idea to go E85 if you only have one gas station. After it all adds up, you'll be pissed you can't go 100 miles from home without leaving all that power behind.

And an overdrive pulley should get you about 10 psi without headers.

With Meth, I've had it at 26* timing with no knock. Did not test the limit because until I get it on a dyno, I wont know if I'm still making power at 26*.

#13 ·
there are huge gains to be had with e85. on my dsm by just adding a tad more boost and an e85 tune i gained 46whp. its a little harder to start on the really cold mornings but other than that no problems. if its not your DD i'd go for it

#19 ·
Sure, corn is real cheap way out west here in Easthampton! I'm trying to tune for gas and e85, store tunes separately. Need bigger pump to supply e85 to motor (got Racetronix 255 in-tank model) need bigger injectors to supply more fuel (got Bosch 62#, 650 ccs from Fiveo) now Frost tuning is telling me the pump is too small and I need larger fuel rails and something called a fuel regulator. There are 2 other guys on this forum running e85 with only the bigger pump and injectors, not reporting any issues (unless you call +50 RWHP an issue!)

Another question: do you see any real difference in running smaller diameter headers? I watched some Kooks 1 7/8 long tubes being installed on an LS6 brand new out of the crate yesterday. Touching in several locations, including the steering shaft. They are wrapped in tape. I'm thinking "why not go with the skinnies if clearances are that tight?"
leo

#16 ·
+1 for going one step at a time. The maggie will put a sufficiently broad smile on your face as is especially with that overdrive pulley. If after a few hundred miles or a couple of tanks of gas you want more, then look at the next step. You could always add, say, a 50 shot with a lot less fuss.

#18 ·
Hey, corn is cheap out here in the wild west! How about dual set up: one tune for the E85, one tune for the 93 ocatane petrol. Frost performance makes a dual flash computer that replaces stock, basically just an A-B switch. He's telling me that my Racetronix 255 in-tank and Bosch 62 lb/650 cc injectors STILL wont push enough fuel for the E85. Claims I still need larger fuel rails and something called a "fuel regulator" that I've never heard of. There are several people on this forum running e85 with significant HP/TQ gains shown on the dyno. They, too have increased fuel pump output and injector size.
On another matter-what's your take on header diameter size? I observed a Kooks long tube install 1 7/8 on a brand new Maggied LS6 crate motor yesterday. Installer griping about close clearances, as in touching the steering shaft. He asked me "please get the narrower version if you hire me for your build!" The Kooks he installed were already wrapped in the glass tape, which also makes them thicker. Any difference with widerr VS narrower?
leo

#25 ·
Hey leosul your inbox is full so I can't reply to your message

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.