Brake fluid weep from bleeder after track day?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Brake fluid weep from bleeder after track day? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I noticed after my last track event at Sebring that on the front calipers there is a small line of ...
    smbstyle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Brake fluid weep from bleeder after track day?

I noticed after my last track event at Sebring that on the front calipers there is a small line of dried up fluid that came from the bleeder valve (looks to have seeped through the threads, not the valve itself). The pedal was firm the entire time on track and still is, I found no noticeable drop in fluid in the reservior. Is this normal, or should I be worried about this at all? One thing is I think I had the system a tad overfilled...so I wonder if this was normal since the fluid has to escape somewhere....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Re: Brake fluid weep from bleeder after track day?

Quote Originally Posted by smbstyle View Post
    I noticed after my last track event at Sebring that on the front calipers there is a small line of dried up fluid that came from the bleeder valve (looks to have seeped through the threads, not the valve itself). The pedal was firm the entire time on track and still is, I found no noticeable drop in fluid in the reservior. Is this normal, or should I be worried about this at all? One thing is I think I had the system a tad overfilled...so I wonder if this was normal since the fluid has to escape somewhere....
    No a brake fluid leak isn't normal. Now I don't track so others may tell you they have experienced something similar but it definitely shouldn't be happening. Hydraulics are a closed system and that means a leak is no bueno!

BTW Not sure if you know (not trying to insult your intelligence just a heads up) that brake fluid will ruin your caliper paint. Mine is from the previous owner dripping it down the side.

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

mine does it also. Ive done lots of track days with it. My front calipers are about pure gold in color.

Quote Originally Posted by odla View Post
    mine does it also. Ive done lots of track days with it. My front calipers are about pure gold in color.
    that is comforting, im glad im not the only one!

Im not going to worry too much about it just for the fact that theres no drop in pedal pressure and air isnt getting into the system; if i feel like its getting worse i'll just replace the bleeder screws.

nikon is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05' CTS-V

Happened on one of my fronts after a track day...no issues since....however I've only tracked it once, brakes are too damn expensive to do it all the time.

so I'm taking this as a fairly normal occurrence for track days with the CTS-V?

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

i have quite a few days at the track. Mine have done it since day one at the track. i flush the fluid every 4th track day. I'm just running rbf 600. cheaper than the srf. Helped turn my front calipers gold.

I just did a spot check bleed last night on one of the calipers, and it is pure fluid coming out, not a single bubble of air.

Here is my take on what is happening; with our cars being as heavy as they are, these calipers are getting extremely hot under hard braking (as seen by the calipers changing colors). This, in turn, is causing a very slight expansion in the metal caliper, thus allowing a small amount of fluid to pass through the threads of the bleeder. This is why you will only see this happen at the track, not on the street or auto-x. it only happens under extreme temps. thats my logical reasoning for it.

PISNUOFF Guest

Mine have always done it on the track also. Mine tend to come out of the bleeder valve itself, though (not the threads). I get some seapage from my rears on occasion also. I tried tightening the valves a little more and all that got me was one stuck in a caliper. I just chalk it up to one of the V's idiosyncrasies and live with it.

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by CancerJCC View Post
    No a brake fluid leak isn't normal. Now I don't track so others may tell you they have experienced something similar but it definitely shouldn't be happening. Hydraulics are a closed system and that means a leak is no bueno!

BTW Not sure if you know (not trying to insult your intelligence just a heads up) that brake fluid will ruin your caliper paint. Mine is from the previous owner dripping it down the side.

Quote Originally Posted by CadzillaTN View Post
    PIC
    Yep! Too bad mine isn't even bubbled but completely gone.....and on the front!

AndrewANZEsuspension is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Hey guys, the fluid you see is not too abnormal. Sometimes it just wicks up from the threads after bleeding and sometimes it is leftover in the top of the bleeder. You will get less if you very thoroughly clean the calipers after bleeding but even then it may not totally go away. Be careful not to strip or damage the bleeder threads in the caliper as this will make the problem worse.

Andrew
    ANZE Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewANZEsuspension View Post
    Hey guys, the fluid you see is not too abnormal. Sometimes it just wicks up from the threads after bleeding and sometimes it is leftover in the top of the bleeder. You will get less if you very thoroughly clean the calipers after bleeding but even then it may not totally go away. Be careful not to strip or damage the bleeder threads in the caliper as this will make the problem worse.

Andrew
    ANZE Suspension
    Who are you?

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Leaks are not normal.
    When you bleed the brakes do two things.

1. Torque the bleeders, yes that's right use a torque wrench and tighten them properly. These are much pickier than other cars. The spec is 124 lb. in. (that's inches.. not feet)
    2. Clean off all residual brake fluid, water works great.

Otherwise they will
    1. leak
    2. ruin the paint

Quote Originally Posted by CancerJCC View Post
    Who are you?
    did you see the thread about the Penske coilovers that guy has, zzilla? ANZE suspension is the company that builds the coilovers using the Penske shocks for our cars...

...i need to give him a call.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.