Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Brake fluid weep from bleeder after track day?

4K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  crankedupforit 
#1 ·
I noticed after my last track event at Sebring that on the front calipers there is a small line of dried up fluid that came from the bleeder valve (looks to have seeped through the threads, not the valve itself). The pedal was firm the entire time on track and still is, I found no noticeable drop in fluid in the reservior. Is this normal, or should I be worried about this at all? One thing is I think I had the system a tad overfilled...so I wonder if this was normal since the fluid has to escape somewhere....

#2 ·
No a brake fluid leak isn't normal. Now I don't track so others may tell you they have experienced something similar but it definitely shouldn't be happening. Hydraulics are a closed system and that means a leak is no bueno!

BTW Not sure if you know (not trying to insult your intelligence just a heads up) that brake fluid will ruin your caliper paint. Mine is from the previous owner dripping it down the side. :(

#4 ·
that is comforting, im glad im not the only one!

Im not going to worry too much about it just for the fact that theres no drop in pedal pressure and air isnt getting into the system; if i feel like its getting worse i'll just replace the bleeder screws.

#8 ·
I just did a spot check bleed last night on one of the calipers, and it is pure fluid coming out, not a single bubble of air.

Here is my take on what is happening; with our cars being as heavy as they are, these calipers are getting extremely hot under hard braking (as seen by the calipers changing colors). This, in turn, is causing a very slight expansion in the metal caliper, thus allowing a small amount of fluid to pass through the threads of the bleeder. This is why you will only see this happen at the track, not on the street or auto-x. it only happens under extreme temps. thats my logical reasoning for it.

G
#9 ·
Mine have always done it on the track also. Mine tend to come out of the bleeder valve itself, though (not the threads). I get some seapage from my rears on occasion also. I tried tightening the valves a little more and all that got me was one stuck in a caliper. I just chalk it up to one of the V's idiosyncrasies and live with it.

#12 ·
Hey guys, the fluid you see is not too abnormal. Sometimes it just wicks up from the threads after bleeding and sometimes it is leftover in the top of the bleeder. You will get less if you very thoroughly clean the calipers after bleeding but even then it may not totally go away. Be careful not to strip or damage the bleeder threads in the caliper as this will make the problem worse.

Andrew
ANZE Suspension

#13 ·
Who are you?

#14 ·
Leaks are not normal.
When you bleed the brakes do two things.

1. Torque the bleeders, yes that's right use a torque wrench and tighten them properly. These are much pickier than other cars. The spec is 124 lb. in. (that's inches.. not feet)
2. Clean off all residual brake fluid, water works great.

Otherwise they will
1. leak
2. ruin the paint

#19 ·
Mine does it too. I agree with Odla. Just keep it fresh and bled. You should see no problems from the brakes. One of the best things on our cars. Track days rule. Sebring is my favorite. Challenging with lots of different types of turns.

#22 ·
Ditto!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.