For those road course guys living in warm climate areas... switch to 10w30?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, For those road course guys living in warm climate areas... switch to 10w30? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I have talked to a few people recently, including a few DE instructors as well as a guy from AMSOIL, ...
    smbstyle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

For those road course guys living in warm climate areas... switch to 10w30?

I have talked to a few people recently, including a few DE instructors as well as a guy from AMSOIL, and they all have told me that since I live in FL and the temp rarely, if ever, gets below 40*, and because I am getting into DEs, that I should think about switching from 5w30 to 10w30. Has anyone heard anything on switching from 5w30 to 10w30, or changing the viscosity in general for running at the track?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PISNUOFF Guest

Re: For those road course guys living in warm climate areas... switch to 10w30?

I switched to Amsoil AMO (high Zinc) 10w40 for track days. I just run that all the time now.

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    I switched to Amsoil AMO (high Zinc) 10w40 for track days. I just run that all the time now.
    wow, 10w40? Awesome, I will be adding that to the list!!

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

how much benefit does it give you? smbstyle which tracks do you go to?

Quote Originally Posted by odla View Post
    how much benefit does it give you? smbstyle which tracks do you go to?
    Sebring. from what i've been told it should help with high oil temps and overall protection from a higher viscosity oil when at the track.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

I've run a variety of things at the track. Running M1 5W-30 seemed to result in high aluminum in my oil analysis, so I started running higher viscosities for track events. For most of the events in 2010 I ran either M1 15W-50 or a mix of M1 5W-40 TDT (Turbo Diesel Truck) or High Mileage 10W-40 and 15W-50. I've considered running Rotella T6 synthetic, as I've heard good things about it, but haven't tried it.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

If you know you're going to be running in warm temps, go higher. Anyone run 20W-50?

ichpen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Hang on, there's something I'm not getting here. In this day and age of multi-viscosity oil I really don't see how 5w-30 would be better than 10w-30 at the track. The 5w designation essentially translates into thinner oil when cold i.e. below 30F. Once the car warms up the oil thickens to 30 if you can take that as a measurement. At the track your car will be hot. Again I could be missing the point here.

Now a lot of racing guys do move to a 15w-50 or 20w-50.

PISNUOFF Guest

^^^^Yeah, that's why I went up to ...W40. I ran 20W50 a couple times last year but due to bearing clearances (which ultimately determines the proper viscosity) I was worried about the 50 being too thick to properly lubricate them. I still have to pull apart my LS2 and look at them. They were making a little noise at the end.

ichpen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

True. Generally speaking the thicker the better when you're beating up the car provided your clearances are sufficient. This helps ensure oil stability and pressure under sustained heavy load but will in theory sap a little power due increased friction. Newer race built cars are now moving in the opposite direction to very thin oil and tight bearing clearances to reduce friction. Something like 0w-20 or 5w-20.

10w-30 is recommended for warm climates year round. 5w-30 for colder climates. Personally unless you're doing an 8 hour stint at the track every other weekend and you've reworked your motor I'd steer clear of 50 weight oils. But you're going to get a lot of opinions on this.

The important thing to note is if you're going by standards the viscosity of 5w-30 vs 10w-30 oil should in theory be exactly the same at 200F+ temperatures.

v-sam is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

I use Castrol 20w-50 for track days only. I did find this link from the AMSOIL website:

http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/...SOIL%20UOA.htm

Keep in mind everyone has an opinion on which oil to run....
    2005 CTS-V:Ground Control 650/700|FG2|Corsa|UUC Shifter and Shift Knob, Brake Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|Eibach Sway Bars|Kooks 1.75 Coated and High Flow Cats|Upper Control Arms|Front and Rear Strut Brace|Power Steering Cooler|Oil Cooler|LED Lights|ARP Wheel Studs|Corner Weighted|Stealth V Tune

Stepside is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor

Well . . . since i have a LS2 . . . i use . . . ~TRUCK OIL!~

nikon is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05' CTS-V

I only run 10-30...check your manual, it says in higher climates run 10-30, although it does say you can continue using 5-30...your choice.

PISNUOFF Guest

The OP is asking about oil for track usage. The manual doesn't take into consideration the sustained high rpms and elevated oil temps.

AndrewANZEsuspension is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Part of the issue is the 10w-30 has fewer modifiers than the 5w-30. The base stock of the 10w-30 is closer to 30w so it needs fewer modifiers than the base stock of the 5w-30.

In my previous job which was all Porsche track cars we used 15w-50 and 20w-50 in the older engines with larger clearances and especially the older turbo engines. We always used race oil (not street oil) and it was carefully lifed (6 track days for N/A cars and 4 track days for turbos.

Before I moved to ANZE Suspenesion we were running the newer N/A cars with Motul 300V 5w-40 and the turbo cars with Motul 300V 15w-50. Using the Motul 300V race oil we found a small drop in temp but a significant improvement in oil consumption across the whole customer fleet. This oil is not great for street use because it does not have all the same detergents as street oil but it was perfect for track car applications.

Andrew
    ANZE Suspension

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.