Advice on Lingenfelter conversion please
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Advice on Lingenfelter conversion please in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I have an 06 V with 3800 miles recently purchased. Just spoke to Tim at Lingenfelter about having them do ...
    leosul@verizon.net is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V

Advice on Lingenfelter conversion please

I have an 06 V with 3800 miles recently purchased. Just spoke to Tim at Lingenfelter about having them do the Maggie special

http://www.lingenfelter.com/engine-p...-m112-supercha

I really wanted the Edelbrock E-Force, but they advise against this. They are right now fitting one to a C-5 Vette and labor charges are already "significantly over original estimate." They have agreed to give me the latest Magnusson product done in powder coat black-I think it is a #119 which makes about 10% more RWHP than the older 112 for the same price. They will also install my UUC shifter and G Force axles for $400 additional labor. If I drive the car to them (Massachusetts to Fort Wayne Indiana) and leave it, they will try to arrange with one coming out by transport and would be 1/2 price shipping. ALSO, if they ship back to me I beat the 7% sales tax (over $700). I would actually love to drive it home, but the discount is just too juicy!

Salesman claims "Lingenfelter conversions add to retail value of the vehicle" Anyone know this claim to be true? They are also advising AGAINST modifying the original exhaust system, due to problems with hi-flow cats. "Not worth it for what you are gaining" I'm being told.

Has anyone done business with these folks? I know the reputation is very good and they individually fine tune the Maggie to specific vehicle, including chassis dyno and road testing. They warranty the entire engine for 3 yrs/36,000 miles. All said and done going to set me back about $11 K.
    leo

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Re: Advice on Lingenfelter conversion please

Lingenfelter does quality work and I would trust their opinions. And if you've got money to burn, I'd do it...

The warranty notwithstanding, you can get a Maggie installed for less.

Also spoke with Behe in Maryland ("do you know bigjim?) and basically they will do the same thing and I get a set of Kooks, hi flow cats and midpipe for about the same price. Just don't get that big Lingenfelter decal on my windshield! Also spoke with Redline in Albany who sides with Lingenfelter by claiming "you don't really need exhaust work with the Maggie." Waiting on a price from those guys. Busy day! Today's my birthday and ex wifes and ex kids be damned-I'm gettin' a freakin' supercharger on my (like) new Caddy!! Big Jim-if you don't mind I would like your phone # use email leosul@verizon.net

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Behe did the work on my '09V. They've done a lot of work on Maggies and claim that by not overworking it, they can get good power and no heat soak. On my '09, we did an LPE 10% overdrive pulley, LPE intake tube, Kooks headers and a tune and got an extra 65-70hp/tq and I can track it all day long with no heat soak.

And Behe is full of true enthusiasts. They'll tune anything and have no big egos. Just results. They hosted a cookout for the V guys about a year and a half ago and were enthusiastic of our Vs...

Yeah, sounds good! I went out for a while and they left message "Only Lingenfelter can sell and install a Magnuson 1900." That's the latest model Gen5 for the LS2 motor. I found this Maggie in their catalogue listed for sale, so Im wonderin what that is all about? I'll have to call em back tomorrow because I did get a good feeling over the phone...

Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

My two cents from someone who's only supercharged car came from GM that way. But the beauty of it on a V, in my opinion, would be that you could get big power without any real changes to the nature of the car. Headers, etc will certainly add more power, but the car will be louder, rougher, etc. Just dropping a blower on, you'd still have gobs of power in a quiet, civilized car.

Also, the TVS1900 is a Gen 6 blower. The MP112 is a Gen 5. The difference is bigger than the difference between the Gen 3 and Gen 5 blowers was. Though that doesn't make the Gen 5 stuff bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
    My two cents from someone who's only supercharged car came from GM that way. But the beauty of it on a V, in my opinion, would be that you could get big power without any real changes to the nature of the car. Headers, etc will certainly add more power, but the car will be louder, rougher, etc. Just dropping a blower on, you'd still have gobs of power in a quiet, civilized car.

Also, the TVS1900 is a Gen 6 blower. The MP112 is a Gen 5. The difference is bigger than the difference between the Gen 3 and Gen 5 blowers was. Though that doesn't make the Gen 5 stuff bad.
    Problem is going to be getting someone to INSTALL the TVS 1900, other than Lingenfelter, that is. Looks like there is some "slight modification to firewall" involved. The research demonstrates that an LS2 with a TVS 1900 will put up numbers almost identical to a Gen II CTS-V. The new Vs use a 2300 model designed by Magnuson, that is a poor match for an LS2 or LS6 due to compression ratio issues, although I'm sure it's more complicated than that! Or, just buy a 2009 or newer CTS-V and leave it alone...but what fun would that be?

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Do you hang a blank canvas?

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by leosul@verizon.net View Post
    ... a #119 which makes about 10% more RWHP than the older 112 for the same price. They will also install my UUC shifter and G Force axles for $400 additional labor. ...

Salesman claims "Lingenfelter conversions add to retail value of the vehicle" Anyone know this claim to be true? They are also advising AGAINST modifying the original exhaust system, due to problems with hi-flow cats. "Not worth it for what you are gaining" I'm being told. ...
    If a MP112 provides about 120 hp (+ or -), their claim then is that the TVS1900 provides about 10% more or about 12 more hp. Adding headers (which they seem to advise against) would more than make up for that. Plus, I know of no problems with hi-flow cats.

The $400 in labor to install the axles and the shifter seems a bit high by ~50% or so, IMHO. That should take only about 3 hours total.

As far as adding value to your car, reminds me of selling a house I had with a swimming pool. The worst thing is that it narrowed the potential market by 90%, and the value added was about ten cents on the dollar.

The big positive is that Lingenfelter warranty. However, to take care of an issue if one came up, you'd have to either drive to Indiana (assuming it was capable of it) or trailer it there.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

ichpen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

So they can fit in a 1900 under the stock hood? I'm impressed. Just looked them up. Custom strut tower brace.

looks like "must slightly modify cowl area, modify existing tower brace" (glad i didn't bite on one of those carbon fiber $$$ jobs!) This quoted from East Coast Supercharging located in New Jersey and recommended by someone else either in this or the LS1 forum. They seemed very confident and actually claim "we can put anything on any engine as long is you're willing to pay for it!" People have bought and paid for the 2300 on LS2 engines, even though ill advised...

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Sorry guys, but i even understand that fair you may get away with a cheap install, but you get exactly that...LPE are Pros, and that price is quite fair...

The 1900 will give more than 10%...My friend here started off of the 112, and noticed it lacks above 5000rpm...The 1900 is a great upgrade where you will have plenty of power across the board and you can upgrade it further than the 112 could eva go...

Lets not forget the torque gains as well...

Get the 1900 and love the performance it will bring you...

Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

FYI, if you look at Lingenfelter's website and compare the MP112 on the LS6 V to the TVS1900 on the LS2, it is about a 50whp difference. 10% of the total power, not 10% of the increase. Whether that's generally true for end-users, I don't know. Though 450whp from an MP112 seems to be common. Lingenfelter is showing about 500whp from the TVS.

To the OP, GM puts a TVS1900 on the V2, not a 2300. The ZR1 has a 2300. As far as a 2300 being "recommended", that is what the Edelbrock E-force unit is. It's a TVS2300. I hope they make a V1 kit at some point, it really is an interesting design.

Quote Originally Posted by Naf View Post
    Sorry guys, but i even understand that fair you may get away with a cheap install, but you get exactly that...LPE are Pros, and that price is quite fair...

The 1900 will give more than 10%...My friend here started off of the 112, and noticed it lacks above 5000rpm...The 1900 is a great upgrade where you will have plenty of power across the board and you can upgrade it further than the 112 could eva go...

Lets not forget the torque gains as well...

Get the 1900 and love the performance it will bring you...
    Yes, I am stuck on the 1900. Spoke with East Coast Supercharging in NJ yesterday and they said "we have done at least a dozen 1900s on Gen 1 CTS-Vs." Involves some slight modification to the cowl area and not a big deal. As noted, I got this essentially brand new 06 with 3800 miles for 26 grand, so spending a little more for something much better is the way to go, at least that's my philosophy. The big question now seems to be headers or no headers. Is it worth the extra 2 thou to pick up at best 30 HP? Plus they are louder and change the character of the car, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
    FYI, if you look at Lingenfelter's website and compare the MP112 on the LS6 V to the TVS1900 on the LS2, it is about a 50whp difference. 10% of the total power, not 10% of the increase. Whether that's generally true for end-users, I don't know. Though 450whp from an MP112 seems to be common. Lingenfelter is showing about 500whp from the TVS.

To the OP, GM puts a TVS1900 on the V2, not a 2300. The ZR1 has a 2300. As far as a 2300 being "recommended", that is what the Edelbrock E-force unit is. It's a TVS2300. I hope they make a V1 kit at some point, it really is an interesting design.
    I started out lusting for the Edelbrock and several shops have said "sure we can do that for you." It is not advised on a Gen 1 CTS-V, though due to the extra work involved in making it fit. Apparently most of its blower section is identical to the 1900, I'm told. I just love the way it LOOKS! Mike at East Coast Supercharging told me a story about someone who did install one at home on a V and ended up bringing it in to them to fix-mucho dinero!! I'm quite certain I'll be going with the 1900 at this point but the big question is to header or not to header! Thanks for the clarification.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.