Plugs, Wires, Oil, and Oil Filter - Which ones...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Plugs, Wires, Oil, and Oil Filter - Which ones... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Bought my 07 V last fall, drove it for a month then stored for winter. Dealer had changed oil. Car ...
    SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Plugs, Wires, Oil, and Oil Filter - Which ones...

Bought my 07 V last fall, drove it for a month then stored for winter. Dealer had changed oil. Car has 68,000 miles, "highway" corporate leased car.

When I get it out I want to change, Plugs, Wires, Oil, and Filter.

Should I use Mobil 1 Full synthetic, Amsoil, or Royal Purple for oil ?

What oil filter do you recommend ?

I've been told to go with NGK plugs, if you agree, which ones ? Stock AC Delco ?

And Plug wires ? ... no clue which to choose.

Any other maintenance recommended before I get her out ?

Any input is much appreciated. If you have a suggestion not on this list let me hear it. If there is a debate vs cost and which is best, give me both ideas, I'll decide.

Thanks
    Brandon

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CI-V-IL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Raven Black CTS-V

Re: Plugs, Wires, Oil, and Oil Filter - Which ones...

Congrats on the purchase. I'm in the same boat in regards to the storage! Sooooo ready for it to warm up.

It seems that everyone has their own "favorite" oil. I personally run mobil 1 synthetic (do they make any other kind?) and usually opt for the AC delco filter.

There was a thread on another forum where a member tested 8-10 different types of plug wires, measuring their resistance. The msd wires had the least resistance, but you have to keep in mind that the spark is only traveling a few inches....not a few feet as it would in other setups. So you probably wont see any power difference between different brands of wires (speculative). I picked up a set of msd wires from my local auto parts store for $65 bucks. I did like the 45 degree spark plug boots. They definitely work in keeping the wire away from the header but I couldnt run the stock heat sheilds with them.

As for the plugs, a large percentage of users on another forum run NGK TR55's. I picked up a set but havent driven the car yet. So the verdict is still out. They were fairly cheap...maybe around $1.50 to $1.80 each?

If you are changing fluids, might as well check on the trans fluid and rear diff fluid as well. Maybe look through your service records (if any) to see when they were changed last. Also, for peace of mind, top off any fluids that may be low: brake, power steering, coolant, clutch (brake fluid as well). Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

By the way, V-Guy is putting together an indy meet in April. There is a thread on here somewhere with attendees. You arent far and should attend!

V-Guy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V, Raven/Ebony; Harley Fatboy; Harley Ultra-Classic

I'm leaning heavily toward switching to all Amsoil fluids, but you certainly can't go wrong with Mobil 1 oil (which I'm running now) - as well as the rest of CI-V-IL's recommendations!

And he's right - you should definitely come to the Indy "V" meet on April 16! Check out http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...pril-16-a.html

tweeter81 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

I run Royal Purple in everything but the differential, and then I used Amsoil in that. I have heard that under track conditions Amsoil will actually keep the oil temps cooler than Mobil 1.

SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Indy meet sounds interesting, might need to stop by =)
    Curious to the NGK TR55's if that is what is recommended, then I'll go with them, but why are they so cheap. I know... I should appreciate a good deal... anyways... my 99 STS with Northstar engine, if I recall right, the stock Platinum Delco plugs costed me like 6 or 7 a plug.

I've got a feeling I'm gonna go with the Mobil 1 Full Synthetic, just need to find a filter.

I also found a set of 8.5mm plug wires on GForce's website... same guys making the axles to cure the wheel hop, $105 any feedback there?

Thanks again.

Stepside is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor

Just remember . . those of us with an '07 have a 22mm oil filter & limited choices as oposed to '04-'06 have 13/16ths oil filter.

CI-V-IL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Raven Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by SevillianSTS View Post
    Indy meet sounds interesting, might need to stop by =)
    Curious to the NGK TR55's if that is what is recommended, then I'll go with them, but why are they so cheap. I know... I should appreciate a good deal... anyways... my 99 STS with Northstar engine, if I recall right, the stock Platinum Delco plugs costed me like 6 or 7 a plug.

I've got a feeling I'm gonna go with the Mobil 1 Full Synthetic, just need to find a filter.

I also found a set of 8.5mm plug wires on GForce's website... same guys making the axles to cure the wheel hop, $105 any feedback there?

Thanks again.
    You can pay more for platinum/iridium NGK TR55's if you want! Just depends how often you want to change your plugs and what your setup is.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Assuming this car is just seeing street use, then I vote for ... whatever brand you think has the prettiest colors on the bottle/box. It's not really going to matter one way or another.

I use whatever synthetic oil is on sale when I go to Advance Auto. They always have a "buy 5qts of oil + a filter for $26.99" type deal going. The filter they pair up with the synthetic oil deal is one of the good filters - Bosch, Mobil1, K&N - and I just grab a couple extra quarts of oil.

My plugs and wires were replaced when I had headers installed. I honestly don't even remember what I used, or if I just let the dealer install what they normally install.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Doctechx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V Black Raven w/Ebony

Threads rating the best fluids to use are some of the most heated and debated in many of the forums. Everyone has a favorite it seems. I have been using Mobile 1 to date, as the auto parts store in my area runs frequent specials. However, based on my research I am planning to switch to Amsoil. I am going to place a large order including their Dot 4 Brake (i.e. clutch) fluid, Severe Gear differential, and Torque Drive transmission fluid. There is an member (C66?) that had his used Amsoil oil tested after each change, and he posted the results. You can find it with a search. By the way, I didn't realize there were so many V1 owners in Indy area. There are significant discounts, if fluids are ordered in bulk. Would anyone be interested in bulk ordering some Amsoil fluids with me? If three of us ordered together we could get a really good deal.

I Forgot to mention that as you are from Northern Indiana, you will definitely want to hook up with Jesse at Wait4Me. He's right in your area, and is a excellent tuner for a very reasonable price.

C66 Racing is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V (sold)

I got very low wear results in my 06 using AMSOIL:
    Cadillac CTS-V Used Oil Analysis – Mobil 1 5w30 vs AMSOIL 0w30

For those interested in trying AMSOIL, please drop me a PM so I can ensure you get dealer wholesale pricing, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program

Quote Originally Posted by SevillianSTS View Post

Thanks again.
    Gforce was great to deal with when I bought my axles from Chris there. They made a shipping mistake when they sent them to me, but they fixed it immediately and made it up to me very nicely! I would definitely do business with them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctechx View Post
    I Forgot to mention that as you are from Northern Indiana, you will definitely want to hook up with Jesse at Wait4Me. He's right in your area, and is a excellent tuner for a very reasonable price.
    I agree!! Jesse is going to tune my car as soon as he gets back from overseas (he just left on a trip to Dubai and London). He also made me a great deal on some B&B headers and B&B "touring" exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by C66 Racing View Post
    I got very low wear results in my 06 using AMSOIL:
    Cadillac CTS-V Used Oil Analysis – Mobil 1 5w30 vs AMSOIL 0w30

For those interested in trying AMSOIL, please drop me a PM so I can ensure you get dealer wholesale pricing, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program
    Ha Ha... That's what I get for trying to remember forum names without looking them up. Sorry for the mistake. I will edit my post.

Quote Originally Posted by V-Guy View Post
    I agree!! Jesse is going to tune my car as soon as he gets back from overseas (he just left on a trip to Dubai and London). He also made me a great deal on some B&B headers and B&B "touring" exhaust.
    Are you planning to have him do the install and tune, or are you going to tackle the install yourself? I would advise you to have him do a cam, but I know your already running a Cheatr. Maybe you should have him CNC port your heads prior to the tune.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.