Installed Pacesetter Headers
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Installed Pacesetter Headers in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; First off, I apologize for not jumping on the OBX bandwagon. I went with the pacesetter coated longtubes on the ...
    CI-V-IL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Raven Black CTS-V

Installed Pacesetter Headers

First off, I apologize for not jumping on the OBX bandwagon. I went with the pacesetter coated longtubes on the V. I must say, this was a much more labor-intensive job than I every predicted it to be. I also went ahead and installed new NGK TR55 plugs and MSD wires. I wanted something that would bolt directly up to my B&B catback without cutting it up. I ordered the headers and flanges from amazon.com. They classified for supersaver (free) shipping, so I got them both for $448 shipped to my door. I spent a little extra for the header wrap and silicone spray. I know they are ceramic and I didnt really need to wrap them, but I would rather see header wrap than discolored ceramic headers. I plan on deciding on a cam in the near future, and will wait to tune and dyno until the cam is installed. Not much to see, but here are the pics: (Sorry, no pre-install pics)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Re: Installed Pacesetter Headers

Congrats on the install, I bet a lot of that time was getting the headers and cat back lined up etc. Also you might want to at least grab a wait4me PCM for $160 until you get your cam installed and dyno tuned. Without a tune you aren't going to be running very good unless of course your "near future" is very near future.

Quote Originally Posted by CancerJCC View Post
    Congrats on the install, I bet a lot of that time was getting the headers and cat back lined up etc. Also you might want to at least grab a wait4me PCM for $160 until you get your cam installed and dyno tuned. Without a tune you aren't going to be running very good unless of course your "near future" is very near future.
    Yeah, turns out the slip-on flanges arent quite so "slip-on". Luckily I had an exhaust pipe expander in the garage. I just stretched it out a bit more so that it would slip over. Once that was finished it was just a matter of tapping the flanges with a hammer to rotate them into place. I also spent a good 15 mintutes wiggling the exhaust around to get it to align correctly. Other than that, I also spent a lot of time getting the plug wires off. Sounds strange but they were really stuck on there. When it got down to the last 2 or 3, I started holding the boot with a pair of needle nose pliars and prying against them with a long screw driver. There was just a lot of little tedious inconviniences that happened along the way.

As for the tune, I hope to get the cam in with my tax return. Seeing as how indiana is covered in 3" of ice and my driveway is at a 30 degree incline, the V will not be leaving the garage for a while. If the ice does melt and I decide to take it out, the pcm should correct itself a little bit...not perfect but will do until I can get the cam in.

On a side note, these are my first wrapped headers. Has anyone else experienced the nasty smoke that comes from either the wrap or the silicone spray on initial start up? I'm hoping this will go away after the first drive.

V-Guy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V, Raven/Ebony; Harley Fatboy; Harley Ultra-Classic

Quote Originally Posted by CI-V-IL View Post
    First off, I apologize for not jumping on the OBX bandwagon. I went with the pacesetter coated longtubes on the V. I must say, this was a much more labor-intensive job than I every predicted it to be. I also went ahead and installed new NGK TR55 plugs and MSD wires. I wanted something that would bolt directly up to my B&B catback without cutting it up. I ordered the headers and flanges from amazon.com. They classified for supersaver (free) shipping, so I got them both for $448 shipped to my door. I spent a little extra for the header wrap and silicone spray. I know they are ceramic and I didnt really need to wrap them, but I would rather see header wrap than discolored ceramic headers. I plan on deciding on a cam in the near future, and will wait to tune and dyno until the cam is installed. Not much to see, but here are the pics: (Sorry, no pre-install pics)
    Congrats on the install!! It'll be great to compare our cars when we get together for the Indy meet in April!! I'm running a Thunder Racing LS2 CheaTR cam and I'll have my B&B headers and exhaust installed and get a tune from Jesse at Wait4me this month. We'll have very similar setups!

Quote Originally Posted by V-Guy View Post
    Congrats on the install!! It'll be great to compare our cars when we get together for the Indy meet in April!! I'm running a Thunder Racing LS2 CheaTR cam and I'll have my B&B headers and exhaust installed and get a tune from Jesse at Wait4me this month. We'll have very similar setups!
    Did you decide on the resonator or x-pipe? I love this B&B exhaust, I just wish it was a little louder!

Did you decide on the resonator or x-pipe? I love this B&B exhaust, I just wish it was a little louder!
    Yeah, I'm going with the resonators. I know I'm sacrificing a couple of horses, but I'm trying to keep the decibels down a little - probably a sign of my rapidly advancing old age!! Plus Jesse said that this setup (headers/no cats/resonators) has a really deep and smooth tone to it, and still has a pretty impressive "note."

I was surprised how quiet it was with the headers and touring system. A little louder in the higher rpms, but idle was almost identical. I'm on the look out for an x-pipe center section. If you see one let me know.

I was surprised how quiet it was with the headers and touring system. A little louder in the higher rpms, but idle was almost identical. I'm on the look out for an x-pipe center section. If you see one let me know.
    I will!! To me, if I can get a 10% HP increase from the B&B headers and exhaust, yet keep the sound relatively close to what it is now, I'll be thrilled.

Congrats again on the header install!!

CAMRO69-CADILLAC05 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

i did pacesetters without wrap of amazon same as yours and they bolted right up i welded in my x-pipe and extended exhaust enough to take the cats out and then put cherry bombs on the back with tips. i wasnt sure about the cherry bombs but the guy i bought em said they would be same as flowmasters when you were on it and quieter just driving. after driving it i like the sound. its pretty quiet just cruising but when ya mash on it it is sounds different then everything else. also with the headers it is a world of difference on the way it pulls and i dont have a tune

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Will it be worth it to get these headers with a stock exhaust? Will it work with a stock exhaust?

Quote Originally Posted by odla View Post
    Will it be worth it to get these headers with a stock exhaust? Will it work with a stock exhaust?
    I guess I'm not sure what you mean by, will it be worth it? Yes, It will bolt up to your stock exhaust. Should provide a few more ponies and a better exhaust note.
    Scott2012 and Scott2012 like this.

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

I'm surprised to see a vibration dampener bolted on the side of those headers, especially when the more expensive ones like Kooks don't have it. Nice.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

BirdmanTamu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by The Tony Show View Post
    I'm surprised to see a vibration dampener bolted on the side of those headers, especially when the more expensive ones like Kooks don't have it. Nice.
    Is that what that is? I thought it was some sort of band clamp between the header collector and exhaust mating flange.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdmanTamu View Post
    Is that what that is? I thought it was some sort of band clamp between the header collector and exhaust mating flange.
    Its a bandclamp holding the header to the flange.

EdmundGTP is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Looks like those band clamps could be torqued down tighter. I've used them a few times and every time I do I hit them with an impact gun until those crescent shaped pieces fully seat into the troughs on that center block. The other thing I typically do with those is coat the inside of the band with a layer of high temp copper RTV compound before torquing them down.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.