ls6 mods
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, ls6 mods in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; i have 05 v. i have done monster clutch and flywheel, headers no cats x pipe. next big step is ...
    CAMRO69-CADILLAC05 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

ls6 mods

i have 05 v. i have done monster clutch and flywheel, headers no cats x pipe. next big step is a cam which i havent decided what would be best to go with and push rods, lifters, springs, timing chain. id also like to port and polish my heads, intake and tb. then tune it. just wondering what kinda power i could make with this doing big cam. advice? suggestion?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: ls6 mods

Although dyno numbers vary a lot, a medium cam and a goog tune should get in the vicinty of 410 rwhp to 425 rwhp depending on the cam. As you mentioned, the cam requires (for reliabilty reasons) supporting mods including hardened pushrods, upgraded timing chain (LS2 chain is the economical standard upgrade), valve springs, valve seals, locks & retainers, and optional oil pump upgrade (Melling 10296 is a good choice).

Bigger cams at this stage do not translate into more horespower because of the stock compression ratio, and stock head flows.

Adding heads can you another 30-50 rwhp depending on the type of heads.

Getting north of 450 rwhp on LS6 cubic inches gets expensive and requires a good intake such as a FAST 102 and upgraded throttlebody. It can also require a cam selection that requires you to "flycut" the pistons.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Replace the valve springs and stick a maggie on it. IMO.

All that stuff you mentioned won't give you the "WHOO HOO'S" as will a maggie.

Like owning your own SIX FLAG's ride.

The only V that impressed me that wasn't FI was Ernies, and he has a C5R block(427)!.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Although dyno numbers vary a lot, a medium cam and a goog tune should get in the vicinty of 410 rwhp to 425 rwhp depending on the cam. As you mentioned, the cam requires (for reliabilty reasons) supporting mods including hardened pushrods, upgraded timing chain (LS2 chain is the economical standard upgrade), valve springs, valve seals, locks & retainers, and optional oil pump upgrade (Melling 10296 is a good choice).

Bigger cams at this stage do not translate into more horespower because of the stock compression ratio, and stock head flows.

Adding heads can you another 30-50 rwhp depending on the type of heads.

Getting north of 450 rwhp on LS6 cubic inches gets expensive and requires a good intake such as a FAST 102 and upgraded throttlebody. It can also require a cam selection that requires you to "flycut" the pistons.

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    Replace the valve springs and stick a maggie on it. IMO.

All that stuff you mentioned won't give you the "WHO HOO'S" as will a maggie.

Like owning your own SIX FLAG's ride.

The only V that impressed me that wasn't FI was Ernies, and he has a C5R block(427)!.
    I mean
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

PISNUOFF Guest

I disagree. If you get the right cam, you will have the same 'thrills'. My cammed LS2 was way more fun, and faster, than the two maggied V's I've driven. Plus, the cammed idle is pretty awesome too.

No way will a cam make the same HP.

If you bore the motor (LS6 's can't be) to 402, and forge the crap out of it, cam the crap out of it and make it breath better, then maybe it will be fun, but when you total it up, you have torn apart a running motor and spent more then a maggie would have cost.

I suspect that there's a cam out there (and associated goodies e.g. headers, beefed-up valvetrain components, maybe heads, maybe intake manifold, maybe TB, etc) somewhere that might allow an LS6 to approach the peak hp of your every-day maggied LS6, but that's just it: peak hp. But, there's so-o much more RPM operating range where a maggie provides much more torque.

Of course, at the drap strip, that would possibly mean a tight race between the two. On the street, it's hats off to the maggie.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

lunarx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Mallett 427 CTS-V, 10 E63 AMG

Heavy and Rand are right.
    It's hard to beat Maggie Torque with a cam and head upgrade.
    Mostly because the factory intake and your bottom end are RPM limited.
    It's easy to see how a Maggie improves intake flow and compensates for RPM limitations.

Per my original build with a Ported Fast-78 Intake & Ported LS6 heads my 427 block made 468 WHP on a DynoMite (499 on a JynoJet).
    Under the 2nd build with Ported LS7 Intake/Heads it made 522WHP on the same DynoMite.

The point bieng that the LS6 setup needed a 427 block to beat the LS6 Maggie.
    Even then, it was limited by the LS6 top end.

These guys are just trying to help you spend your money wisely by pointing out that a Maggie will give you remarkable Torque & HP gins with your existing engine.

Nothing wrong with swapping your heads/cam/intake, as you will get solid gains (just not Maggie level gains).
    If you don't like FI, for the money, a built LS3 crate engine might be better for you.
    That gets you Maggie like power NA for now, with the option to add more power via FI later.

Good luck with whatever you do and please keep us posted.

PISNUOFF Guest

Everybody has their favorite. My cammed LS2 put down 25 more rwTQ and only 25 less peak rwHp than Randy's car. The torque curve was also very high and flat. I did also have just about every other supporting mod to go along with that, though. If I had it to do over, I'd probably just go with a Maggie simply because it's easier and cheaper.

My NA 418 LS3 is putting down 513 rwHp and 478 rwTQ. I'm not sure how that is comparable to 'Maggie like power'. A completely forged LS3 stroker is going to cost way more than a Maggie for an LS6.

A lot of it is personal choice. Many guys like pure NA and feel that FI is sort of like cheating.

As a reformed raffle operator, I have to plead the fifth.

FI is the same as NA.

Just like driving a few thousand feet below sea level (all the time)....

CAMRO69-CADILLAC05 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

thanks for all the opinions. i think first off im gonna find a cam ect and port and polish my heads and then look for a maggie just gotta find a good deal on one

Quote Originally Posted by CAMRO69-CADILLAC05 View Post
    thanks for all the opinions. ...
    Poor guy. Bet that's the last time he comes to all of us for anything.

z28dogg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ctsv

I love the way people look at me when they hear the rumble from my cam and 410rwhp isnt bad from a cam,intakemani,tb,and exhaust. compared to the over 5k in a maggie for peaky 480rwhp, right? Don't get me wrong i would love a supercharger just not the current option made for our car. I feel it's highly underpowered compared to tvs/kennebells/prochargers.....etc. If I could find a good deal on a used one i would probably swap the cam and intakemani for it, so at the end of the day it's really up to what you want to spend.

I don't know where you get "peaky" from.

As for calling attention to your V, just try a B&B full up exhaust, no cats and an X pipe.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.