Valve cover removal.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Valve cover removal. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Something has gone wrong! V wont start unless i gas it up over 3k. Then it just dies out if ...
    V-Love is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too).

Valve cover removal.

Something has gone wrong! V wont start unless i gas it up over 3k. Then it just dies out if i take my foot off the gas. Sounds like something under the passenger valve cover. Any hints on taking them off. Couldn't find any old threads. I'm gonna attempt to diagnose the problem myself. This one is gonna cost me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

Re: Valve cover removal.

well if you ate a valve/busted a spring. youd know it.. Thow any codes? anything happen the last time it started.. like maybe a few WOT rips, banging off the rev limiter?

pull the coils then valve covers nothing to crazy

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Unplug the wires from the spark plug to the coil, then the harness to the coils.

Remove the coil packs (the whole assembly) bracket and all.

A 10 mm deep socket will do everything.

PISNUOFF Guest

The valve cover has four 8mm bolts. They are super easy to remove and you should be able to see what's wrong pretty easily.

Thanks. I have no way to read codes. I may see if NAPA has something for that. Funny thing is, I was on vacation and my MOM was driving the car. It just died on her and it sounds like something gave way. I'm gonna drop the oil and pull the valve cover. It should be a good learning experience for me. Here we go!!!

MIAdragon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none (yet)

Are you in Miami?

Took me all of 15 minutes to pull it and find a broken spring. 2nd from front of car. I have a good pic on my blackberry and computer but cant put it up. I thought it was easy to put up pics. Anyway, do you guys think I could have done more damage when I moved the car 50 feet to a parking spot and then pulled it on a flatbed? Should I investigated deeper? Do I have to change all springs and is it worth upgrading? All I have is a hundred shot of NO2. Whats the recomendations?

Found how to browse my computers pics. I have an invalid file??? Further south than Miami.

Here it is.
    Attached Images

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Assuming the springs are the stock single springs, you may have a bent valve, bent pushrod, piston damage, and/or cylinder wall damage.

If it were mine, I would pull the head with the broken spring and check for piston top or cylinder wall damage. I would plan on upgrading by replacement all of the springs on both sides as well as the pushrods. I would go back with dual springs and hardened pushrods. Finally, I would consider upgrading the timing chain to an LS2 chain.

I take that as good advice darkman. I will be making everything a little stronger. Why the timing chain? Can that be done with engine in car?
    Now, how hard is to get the head off? Any good links for this type of job?

Quote Originally Posted by V-Love View Post
    I take that as good advice darkman. I will be making everything a little stronger. Why the timing chain? Can that be done with engine in car?
    Now, how hard is to get the head off? Any good links for this type of job?
    The purpose of the timing chain upgrade is to support the stronger springs.

Pulling the head involves a fair amount of work, but it is just basic wrenching. The ls1howto dot com website has a set of instructions for an LS1 head swap that is very good.

CadiBlk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Silver '05 V

Like always, Darkman's advice is spot on. You could do the chain install with the engine in the car, but I believe the front has to come off (fascia, radiator, etc). I'm trying to find a thread, I believe a guy not too long ago posted some pics of what a valve hitting the piston was doing. He may have also upgraded to an ls3 stroked block as a result, can't remember if it was the same guy. If I find it, I'll post up.

Yeah, Pissnuoff did a sick stroker. I found this too....
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ring-pics.html

I may just put a new set of stock springs in to get going. I dont really want to mod this thing. I want to garage it and get an 09. Can I pull a pushrod to see it its bent or does that require pulling the head? After looking at that project, I was kinda hoping to avoid it. Is the spring job easy?

Found this too...
    http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=21

You do not need to pull the head to check the pushrod - just remove the rocker and the push rod can be pulled. Roll it on a flat surface to see if it is bent.

If you want to just get it running again you do need to at least verify that the valve is not bent from hitting the piston. That can be a little tricky to do without removing the head, but not impossible. It is just a matter of pulling the spring and seeing if the valve will open and close (rise and fall) smoothly. The trick comes in because you normally would remove the spring with the piston at top dead center such that the piston will not allow it to fall into the cylinder. So, after removing the valve spring, you need to turn the motor to allow the piston to retreat to check the valve movement. That can be difficult. Worst case is you drop the valve and have to pull the head anyway.

PISNUOFF Guest

Yeah, I had a couple intake valves kissing pistons. That wasn't the end of my LS2, though. If you just want to keep your motor stock, just purchase a new spring and pushrod and check to see if the valve is bent. A couple of mine hit fairly good but didn't bend.

You can remove the spark plug and try to use a 'See Snake' to look into the cylinder to see if the piston has any markings on it. I wouldn't worry too much about looking at the piston though, I would just remove the broken spring with the piston at or near top dead center (so the valve doesn't fall into the cylinder) then crank the engine by hand with the crank pulley bolt until the piston is down into the cylinder a little way. Then move the valve up and down to see if the stem is bent. It should move smoothly through the valve guide.

If you can't tell from that, you can always loosen up the intake manifold (you don't have to remove the fuel lines) and move it out of the way to look at the top of that valve from inside the intake port on the head. You could put a new spring on and squirt some gas (or WD-40 if you're worried about it evaporating) into the intake port so it puddles on the top of the valve. Let it sit for a few hours or so and see if the level went down, this would tell you if the valve isn't sealing properly also.

PISNUOFF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CadiBlk View Post
    Like always, Darkman's advice is spot on. You could do the chain install with the engine in the car, but I believe the front has to come off (fascia, radiator, etc). I'm trying to find a thread, I believe a guy not too long ago posted some pics of what a valve hitting the piston was doing. He may have also upgraded to an ls3 stroked block as a result, can't remember if it was the same guy. If I find it, I'll post up.
    You only have to remove the radiator (not the A/C condenser) to remove the crank pulley and some accessories to get the timing cover off. You can change the oil pump and timing chain from there without having to remove the fascia or anything major.

This is what it looks like when intake valves hit pistons.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.