Valve cover removal. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Valve cover removal. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Good stuff darkman and PISINUOFF.......nothing else to add here besides to the OP: I would upgrade to dual coiled springs ...
    lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Re: Valve cover removal.

Good stuff darkman and PISINUOFF.......nothing else to add here besides to the OP:

I would upgrade to dual coiled springs since you are shooting nitrous.

V-Love is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too). 2004 DTS.

So if I want to change all my springs, I have to do each set when piston is at top so valves don't fall into cylinders? I don't want that! I can just use wrench to crank motor from the front, correct? Does anyone know a dual spring set that matches stock ones? I'm fully mechanical but this will be the furthest Ive gone into a motor. So, i apologize if Im asking real basic questions.
    I can't just remove all the rockers like in the link from LS1Tech and then start pulling out push rods? That would drop a bunch of valves down into cylinders?

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

You need an adapter that screws into the spark plug hole and attaches to an air compressor.

That keeps the valves "up" so you can replace the springs (one set at a time).

Other wise, you drop valves into the cylinder.

PISNUOFF Guest

You can remove all the rockers at the same time and pull out the push rods. It's recommended that the lifters are on the cam base circle when you torque them back down.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

There are 2 methods for doing valve springs with the heads on -

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

When do you think you will be doing this? Maybe i could come by and help if im in town? Im out on a bizz trip right now.

Hopefully within a week.Looking for parts now. I'm just gonna change the one depending what a set costs. I would go dual spring for safety if they were the same tolerences as stockers. But I doubt Luke will have them. I don't want to be messing with it too much cause I can see how you will just want to keep doing more and more. No $$$ is my problem. I can barely afford a spring.

Anyone know stock part #'s?

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

GM Performance 12586484 - Summit Racing sells them for about $10.00 each or GM Performance 12499224 at $70.00 for a set.

Luke sent me one shipped for around 10 bucks. I pulled the spark plug and put a friends leak down test adapter in it place. You have to do that blind(by feel). Either I got lucky or its not that hard cause it screwed in nice. Then, I just hooked that up to my refrigeration guages and up to a tank of nitrogen. I pumped it up with pressure but it didn't hold at all. I used a 24 mm socket (3/8 drive with a piece of pipe on handle for leverage) on the crank shaft and turned it clockwise(in neutral) untill it started to hold pressure. It still leaked out pretty fast so I just left it pumping with about 60lbs pressure.
    I used a spring tool that just compresses the spring and doesnt bolt to engine. Once i got the spring off, I carefully pushed down on my valve and you could hear the nitrogen escaping. I pulled it back up and it clicked in place. I was confident it wasn't going to move if I was careful. So, new spring on, spring cap on, dab of grease on locks, compress, locks stick nicely, decompress. Looks sweet!
    Then, I just put my pushrod in and bolted on my rocker. I heard you may have to shim them? I didn't. Just bolted everything back up, put the battery in and started her up. It seems fine although I havent run it hard.

Sorry I have no pics of this. I lost my phone in the bay. Just wanted to let you know how it worked out and thank you guys for all the help. This forum makes owning a V way better of an experience. Doing that work on my own motor was awesome. I see how you guys all get hooked.

PISNUOFF Guest

Awesome.

WesH8398 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V
    Good thread to read. The guys around here really are awesome.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.