Install instructions for Z06 end links & MM spacers?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Install instructions for Z06 end links & MM spacers? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I'm just preparing for the spring time, where I have a set of H&R springs, MM spacers, and Z06 end ...
    WesH8398 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Install instructions for Z06 end links & MM spacers?

I'm just preparing for the spring time, where I have a set of H&R springs, MM spacers, and Z06 end links to install (as well as my new Linea Corse Venetto wheels )
    I'm going to use the FAQ article on GC install for the springs, but I can't really find a how-to on the end links. I thought I'd come across something for the MM spacers before, but I can't find that right now either. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Install instructions for Z06 end links & MM spacers?

See attached.

Do not install the shorter end links until after the car is lowered or they will snap like twigs the instant you lower the car off the jack.

jmpumford is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Maggied CTS-V

If I recall correctly from my KW install, the Vette endlinks are 12mm vs. the Caddy's 10mm ones so you will have to do some drilling. If you don't want to drill it out (I didn't) get an adjustable set made for the V (like powergrid). Also, they are shorter so you might be putting some load (either way) on your sways when the car is neutral which isn't good. Another reason the adjustable ones are nice.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

^^^ Yeah that. You'll need a 15/32" dia drill bit to enlarge those holes to accept the endlinks.

I don't know about anybody else, but I had a dickens of a time getting those darn Z06 endlinks to go on. I lifted the car, I lowered the car, I lifted, I lowered, and cussed and FINALLY got them into the hole. To this day, I don't what the heck I did to get them in. Seems to me, tbjs had someone put his in and had a similar experience. 'Twas a brief tour through Mod Hell ... for sure.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

yooper is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV and Caddy powered Chevy

thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    ^^^ Yeah that. You'll need a 15/32" dia drill bit to enlarge those holes to accept the endlinks.

I don't know about anybody else, but I had a dickens of a time getting those darn Z06 endlinks to go on. I lifted the car, I lowered the car, I lifted, I lowered, and cussed and FINALLY got them into the hole. To this day, I don't what the heck I did to get them in. Seems to me, tbjs had someone put his in and had a similar experience. 'Twas a brief tour through Mod Hell ... for sure.
    What in particular was causing the fuss?

Also, thanks Darkman.

Quote Originally Posted by WesH8398 View Post
    What in particular was causing the fuss? ...
    As I recall (it's been 3-1/2 years), the stud on the endlink wouldn't quite line up with the hole in the lower control arm. It was so-o close, but no matter which way I turned the steering or compressed the front suspension, it just seemed to be off by that same amount. Not sure if it was me doing it wrong or just that that's the way you had to do it. I'm sure it was me, but am still holding out hope that others will exonerate me.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

What in particular was causing the fuss?

Also, thanks Darkman.
    Generally speaking, when you are removing/installing the end link fasteners you must position the suspension such that the sway bar is completely "unloaded." For example, if you jack up one side of the car, but not the other, the sway bar is at max stress. If I recall correctly, you can get the sway bar unloaded by having both wheels on Rhino ramps, or both whees airborne, but it has been awhile since I did anything with the end links.

jmpumford is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Maggied CTS-V

From talking with the guys that did my corner balancing, the goal is to have the sways completely unloaded when the car is neutral but all the weight is on the wheels to mimic what the car would be like going in a straight line (I think I stated correctly). So you would need rhino ramps or a lift I would assume but not jack stands. The holes should line up perfectly with out compressing/decompressing anything and then the end links just go right in. After my suspension installation the stock length was perfect but I was still afraid of them breaking. So, I bought a pair of z06 links but they are quite a bit shorter than the stock ones (beefier though) so I decided not to put them in because in my mind, that would have induced preload. I know this isn't optimal, but I have no idea how much difference that would make on handling, maybe very little at all but I just didn't want to do it. Also, I would think that would throw off weight distribution and so the balance.

If you're willing to spend the money (I'm not until my stockers break) these seem to be the best option because they are stronger than stock but you can get them the correct length to avoid preload. http://www.powergridinc.com/

Again, I'm no expert, all I did was install my KWs, adjust the height close to where I wanted and then took it to some pros to dial it in.

So the end link can be installed with the suspension fully loaded? I wouldn't have thought of that, so very nice to know. Could it be uninstalled similarly? Also, what about the spring situation with regards to the end links? Which springs do I need to have installed for the uninstall of OEM end links and install of Z06 ones? Reason I ask is because everyone says to have the lowering springs installed before you install the Z06 links. Wouldn't this make the removal of the OEM links problematic?

So the end link can be installed with the suspension fully loaded? I wouldn't have thought of that, so very nice to know. Could it be uninstalled similarly? Also, what about the spring situation with regards to the end links? Which springs do I need to have installed for the uninstall of OEM end links and install of Z06 ones? Reason I ask is because everyone says to have the lowering springs installed before you install the Z06 links. Wouldn't this make the removal of the OEM links problematic?
    The answer to your first question is yes. When the suspension is loaded - the end links should not be under significant load. Remember the purpose of the sway bar is to transfer load, like from a bump, incurred on side of the car to the other side of the car. So sway bars get loaded by one-sided events, but should not react to events striking both sides of the car at the same time. (And yes, this is an oversimplification).

The other thing that is useful to know/remember is that car is completely driveable with the sway bar installed and the end links completely removed. This allows you to play it safely by: (a) disconnecting the end links; (b) installing the lowering springs and even test driving them; and then (c) installing the new end links as a separate third step.

nikon is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05' CTS-V

I had the same problem installing the end links, I ended up unbolting the bar from its mounts installing both links then bolted the bar back on. That whole operation took the longest of the whole lowering the car procedure. What a pita.

Quote Originally Posted by nikon View Post
    I had the same problem installing the end links, I ended up unbolting the bar from its mounts installing both links then bolted the bar back on. That whole operation took the longest of the whole lowering the car procedure. What a pita.
    Thanks, nikon. I'm exonerated!

Thanks guys. So that's the way to go about this then? Remove links first, on ramps, then do my spring install, then install z06 links, on ramps again, once H&R springs are on. Right? Appreciate the advice.

CadiBlk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Silver '05 V

Directly from the How To Sticky at the top of all the forums. PM Lolly for the pics.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...all-rotor.html

On some of another forums I'm on, when you start a new thread after you input text into the thread title box, it forces a search. The search results then pop up in the text box where you type what you are wanting to discuss. I feel it really helps. Also it makes you confirm that you realize that you are replying to a thread that is over a year old.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.