V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars - Page 9
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 244
Like Tree24Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by CadzillaTN I wonder if V1 can attain sub-100 ft braking from 60mph with these? Not really relevant ...
  1. #121
    Aurora40's Avatar
    Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    The Old Dominion
    Age
    39
    Posts
    730

    Re: V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars

    Quote Originally Posted by CadzillaTN View Post
    I wonder if V1 can attain sub-100 ft braking from 60mph with these?

    Not really relevant from a purchasing perspective but would be a cool fact considering the benchmarks out there...
    You can't brake harder than your tires. Hit the brakes on full some time at 60mph (or any speed). You will engage the ABS easily. You need more tire to brake shorter, not more rotor. More brake helps with repeated stops, and could possibly help as you get even more tire (though I'd think the stockers could still lock up some pretty serious rubber).

  2. #122
    zzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): cts v-xlr v
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    158

    Re: V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars

    "GROUP BUY"

    This group buy needs only 5 orders for these prices. IT IS ONLY GOOD FOR TWO WEEKS FROM THIS POSTING DATE.
    Also "WC" pattern is the only pattern avail for this buy.

    Pricing is as follows:

    Non Floating (Fixed) Rotors $400.00ea($480.00ea after group buy expires)

    Floating Rotors $540.00ea ($600.00ea after group buy expires)

    Replacment rings Not AVAIL FOR GROUP BUY

    Replacment Floating rotors $385.00ea

    Replacment Fixed rotors $280.00ea

    Bolt kit includes 12bolts,washers,jet nuts $40.00ea


    Call Bob at "PERFORMANCE AFX" (815) 254-2631 TO ORDER. Bob is a racer not some company who doesn't use what they sell.


    PHOTO ATTACHED IS OF MY FLOATING VERSION
    Attached Images
    yooper and yooper like this.

  3. #123
    soflarick's Avatar
    soflarick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    626

    Re: V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars

    What is the brake pedal feeling with the V2 rotors considering you're still using the V1 master cylinder and V1 rear brakes? Softer, firmer, modulation easier/more difficult?

    Luke has the best price on the calipers right now?

    What's the weight difference between the V1 and V2 calipers?

    What's the weight difference between the V1 2-piece rotors and the V2 2-piece rotors?

    Thanks

  4. #124
    yooper's Avatar
    yooper is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV and Caddy powered Chevy
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    575

    Re: V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars

    I have not driven my V much since the update because I have a track alignment and slicks on the car. Hope to give her a good workout this weekend. The little I have driven, you can't tell the difference under normal driving conditions. More to come.

    I will weigh the rotors next Tue as I'm out of town now.

    Quote Originally Posted by soflarick View Post
    What is the brake pedal feeling with the V2 rotors considering you're still using the V1 master cylinder and V1 rear brakes? Softer, firmer, modulation easier/more difficult?

    Luke has the best price on the calipers right now?

    What's the weight difference between the V1 and V2 calipers?

    What's the weight difference between the V1 2-piece rotors and the V2 2-piece rotors?

    Thanks

  5. #125
    soflarick's Avatar
    soflarick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    626

    Re: V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars

    Thanks for the info. Keep us posted. I'd like to get the info to my questions before the GP date expires. Good luck with your testing.

  6. #126
    AAIIIC's Avatar
    AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Where the Navy takes me...
    Posts
    3,638

    Re: V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars

    Quote Originally Posted by zzilla View Post
    Replacment rings Not AVAIL FOR GROUP BUY

    Replacment Floating rotors $385.00ea

    Replacment Fixed rotors $280.00ea
    I assume you meant replacement hats are not avail? Because the rotors are the rings, and you've got replacement rotors listed.

  7. #127
    AAIIIC's Avatar
    AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Where the Navy takes me...
    Posts
    3,638

    Re: V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars

    Can one of you with V2 calipers tell us what the piston diameters actually are? Or maybe someone (Darkman?) has the specs from the FSM?

  8. #128
    Aurora40's Avatar
    Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    The Old Dominion
    Age
    39
    Posts
    730

    Re: V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars

    Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    Can one of you with V2 calipers tell us what the piston diameters actually are? Or maybe someone (Darkman?) has the specs from the FSM?
    I'm not 100% positive, but click the "Design" tab here:
    http://www.pixelmotion.com/customers/brembo-cadillac/

    Sounds like from the model name they are 30mm, 34mm and 38mm?

  9. #129
    zzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): cts v-xlr v
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    158

    Re: V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars

    Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    I assume you meant replacement hats are not avail? Because the rotors are the rings, and you've got replacement rotors listed.
    Hats are always avail From Bob at Performance Fx, he makes the hats in house

  10. #130
    zzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): cts v-xlr v
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    158

    Re: V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars

    Quote Originally Posted by soflarick View Post
    What is the brake pedal feeling with the V2 rotors considering you're still using the V1 master cylinder and V1 rear brakes? Softer, firmer, modulation easier/more difficult?

    Luke has the best price on the calipers right now?

    What's the weight difference between the V1 and V2 calipers?

    What's the weight difference between the V1 2-piece rotors and the V2 2-piece rotors?

    Thanks

    As far as I know Luke at Lindsey Cadillac allways have good prices, tell him you are a forum member

    Do not know the weight difference of the calipers My V1's are still on the car now

    The new Rotors are 21lbs front 18lbs rear and 9lbs for the 6piston caliper

    V1 rotors are Still on the car

  11. #131
    AAIIIC's Avatar
    AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Where the Navy takes me...
    Posts
    3,638

    Re: V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
    I'm not 100% positive, but click the "Design" tab here:
    http://www.pixelmotion.com/customers/brembo-cadillac/

    Sounds like from the model name they are 30mm, 34mm and 38mm?
    Yeah, I think you're right. Thanks for the link.

    Quote Originally Posted by zzilla View Post
    Hats are always avail From Bob at Performance Fx, he makes the hats in house
    Gotcha. I just misread your post earlier.

  12. #132
    AAIIIC's Avatar
    AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Where the Navy takes me...
    Posts
    3,638

    Re: V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars

    OK, some brake math:

    V1 setup: 40 & 44mm pistons, 355mm rotor diameter, pad height ~61mm
    V2 setup, 30, 34 & 38mm pistons, 370mm rotor diameter, pad height ~65mm

    V1 caliper piston area = 5554.3mm^2
    V2 caliper piston area = 5497.8mm^2

    The V2 setup will require slightly less pedal movement to generate the same clamping force. (Since the piston area is a wee bit smaller, the master cylinder has to move a little bit less to push enough fluid to make the pistons move a certain distance. Less master cylinder movement = less pedal movement.) The effect should be barely perceptible (if at all), I would think.

    V1 rotor effective radius ~157.5mm
    V2 rotor effective radius ~163.5mm
    The effective radius isn't quite in the center of the pad - it's a bit closer to the outer edge of the rotor. Somewhere there's a formula for the effective radius, but I wasn't able to find it during a quick search, so I just assumed it's 2/3 of the pad height. Close enough for government work. I also assumed the outer edge of the pad is right on the outer edge of the rotor, which isn't quite true, but again, close enough for government work.

    End result is a ~2.75% shift in brake bias to the front. That, too, should be barely perceptible. If you assume the effective radius is at the center of the pad height, then that drops to 2.3% shift to the front. The actual number is probably somewhere in between.

    So, the 6-pot calipers should work just fine with the V1 master cylinder, and won't throw the car's brake bias all out of whack.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

  13. #133
    thebigjimsho's Avatar
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In the barrel of a gun...
    Posts
    49,414

    Re: V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars

    He's killing me with science!

  14. #134
    tweeter81's Avatar
    tweeter81 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Gillette, WY
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,622

    Re: V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars

    Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    OK, some brake math:

    V1 setup: 40 & 44mm pistons, 355mm rotor diameter, pad height ~61mm
    V2 setup, 30, 34 & 38mm pistons, 370mm rotor diameter, pad height ~65mm

    V1 caliper piston area = 5554.3mm^2
    V2 caliper piston area = 5497.8mm^2

    The V2 setup will require slightly less pedal movement to generate the same clamping force. (Since the piston area is a wee bit smaller, the master cylinder has to move a little bit less to push enough fluid to make the pistons move a certain distance. Less master cylinder movement = less pedal movement.) The effect should be barely perceptible (if at all), I would think.

    V1 rotor effective radius ~157.5mm
    V2 rotor effective radius ~163.5mm
    The effective radius isn't quite in the center of the pad - it's a bit closer to the outer edge of the rotor. Somewhere there's a formula for the effective radius, but I wasn't able to find it during a quick search, so I just assumed it's 2/3 of the pad height. Close enough for government work. I also assumed the outer edge of the pad is right on the outer edge of the rotor, which isn't quite true, but again, close enough for government work.

    End result is a ~2.75% shift in brake bias to the front. That, too, should be barely perceptible. If you assume the effective radius is at the center of the pad height, then that drops to 2.3% shift to the front. The actual number is probably somewhere in between.

    So, the 6-pot calipers should work just fine with the V1 master cylinder, and won't throw the car's brake bias all out of whack.
    Good work!!!

  15. #135
    Junior1's Avatar
    Junior1 is offline Cadillac Owners Racer
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Racecar, 2011 Escalade ESV
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    About to pass you...
    Posts
    1,209

    Re: V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars

    carry the one, solve for X...


    wait...


    what...

    j/k good to know
    2005 cadillac cts-v.r #83 nasa st3 . 2011 escalade esv . 2011 sierra denali

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting