V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Thanks Yooper for helping out we are working night and day here to get this car done. "Cadzila" If I ...
    zzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): cts v-xlr v

Re: V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars

Thanks Yooper for helping out we are working night and day here to get this car done. "Cadzila" If I may add if you look at the rotor photo I had posted you will see the depth of the slots somewhat .First you cannot turn slotted rotors although some do to extend the life of the rotor HIGHLY not sugggested.If you end up putting a grove in the rotor you will have to replace the ring although highly unlikley. Performance rotors are meant for performance not for 80,000 miles longevity.Hope this helps gotta go. Back to the fabrication shop........

CADZILA is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 V

Quote Originally Posted by yooper View Post
    As to the friction area, take a look at the OEM rotor and you will see that the factory designed friction area is wider than the pad. It is very noticable with a fairly new OEM rotor as you can see the friction area next to the pad that is not wearing. The single mock up picture can be confusing. It is the V1 steering knuckle, bearing,and OEM rotor with the V2 OEM six piston caliper mounted. The dual mock up picture show the V1 steering knuckle, Corvette bearing, and OEM V2 rotor and caliper. The friction area on the OEM V2 rotor is wider than the pad as well. I have not experienced any problems regarding this on OEM, RacingBrake,or PerformanceAFX 2pc rotors.
    I was refering to the rear rotors, not the front. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

CADZILA is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 V

Quote Originally Posted by zzilla View Post
    Thanks Yooper for helping out we are working night and day here to get this car done. "Cadzila" If I may add if you look at the rotor photo I had posted you will see the depth of the slots somewhat .First you cannot turn slotted rotors although some do to extend the life of the rotor HIGHLY not sugggested.If you end up putting a grove in the rotor you will have to replace the ring although highly unlikley. Performance rotors are meant for performance not for 80,000 miles longevity.Hope this helps gotta go. Back to the fabrication shop........
    Thanks for the info and for putting up with my scarcasm.
    Look forward to seeing your car when finished. From what I have gathered reading on this fourm, it's gona be a bitchen ride. Later

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by CADZILA View Post
    Is that a straight or curved vane rotor? Also, is this a racing only part or is it designed for street use? Will the parking brake still function as it was designed? Will I have to wait for the rotors to cool down before applying the parking brake? I notice that the friction area of this rotor is wider than the rear brake pads where the original rotor friction area is the same. Do you see a potential problem when the rotor wears and a ridge will develop around the inside of that friction area? Other rotors I have seen are cut down in this area to prevent this.
    You only worry about a parking brake issue after a track session. No tracks I know of have any major hills. Non issue. On the street? Even in Vegas you won't be getting your rotors hot enough.

rangerrob is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 Black Diamond CTS-V

The part #s for the V2 Brake Calipers in yellow are as follows:

20982719 CALIPER, FRT BRK (YELLOW) ("V" LOGO) 2011-2011 01 (ACDelco #172-2521) -LH

20982734 CALIPER, FRT BRK (YELLOW) ("V" LOGO) 2011-2011 01 (ACDelco #172-2522) -RH

20982644 CALIPER RR BRK (YELLOW) ("V" LOGO) 2011-2011 01 (ACDelco #172-2523) -LH

20982647 CALIPER RR BRK (YELLOW) ("V" LOGO) 2011-2011 01 (ACDelco #172-2524) -RH

I have a friend in wholesale parts at a gm dealership and he gave me a price today of

$343.92 front each

$231.33 rear each

Anyone else price these yet? Does this sound about right? My local dealer gave me a retail price of around $650 each for fronts and
    around $400 each for the rears.
    So thats $1200.00 ish for calipers, wholesale and around $2000 is for rotors so at around $3200 this aint no lowbuck upgrade. On the
    other hand, you do get alot for your money when you compare this to a big brake upgrade for some other car in the same class. Here
    you get Racing Brake/Brembo for front AND rear for about the same price as just the fronts from someone else. But the stock brakes
    on our cars are dam good as is. In my case, my car only has 10,000 on the odometer and still has the pads it left the factory with
    over 7 years ago so a $8 can of yellow paint will do for now. But if I hit another Keno jackpot.....

Attachment 79051
    i plugged those part #s for the yellow calipers into gmpartsdirect.com and they came out to be $318.90 for the fronts, and $214.51 for the rears... they usually apply a handling fee, which ups the price a tad bit (usually find that # during checkout). although I have not had a good past purchasing experience with them, i.e. the same day i purchased some parts from their site, my cc was stolen and used in the dominican republic, and i was double charged upfront... it was eventually fixed, but their customer service was a pita.

yooper is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV and Caddy powered Chevy

Same whether front or rear
    I was refering to the rear rotors, not the front. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Eh, that douche is gone. You're talking to air...

10 4

zzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): cts v-xlr v

After over a year worth of work They are finally here!!!!!!

These are the rotors for the V2 caliper upgrade. The one you see in the photo(#1 photo) is the floating hat version. They will be avail in fixed as "Yooper" has ordered the fixed ones so we can give you feedback on both.The cost for the floating hat with Slot pattern shown will be $600.00 each. I will get the fixed cost soon. You may order these now but I would wait untill one of us "Yooper" or myself can give you guys some feed back on the complete install. I will speak to Bob @ "Performance AFX" to see if a group buy will be avail. The rears ( subsequent photos 2-3) are avail now with the straight slot and the pattern you see here. Go to "Performance AFX" rotor thread to see pricing. If you can't wait for these Contact Bob Finlayson@"Performance AFX" (815)254-2631.

Again let me give a huge Kudos!!! to "Yooper" for putting me in contact with Bob
    Attached Images

Fixed mount 2pc rotor for V2 caliper on V1. Hope they fit. j/k

Thanks Bob and the guys at PerformanceAFX
    whisler151 and whisler151 like this.

They fit and they work, and boy do they work! After proper bedding in of the rotors, we did a few comparison panic stops from 80 and 100 against an 08 Corvette convertable with the stability control turned off. (Hope my wife doesn't read this-her car)

The V was equiped with Bridgstone RE-11 tires in OEM size, PerformanceAFX 2pc fixed mount rotors, V2 calipers loaded with Cobalt Racing XR1 pads, while the Vette had OEM run craps and OEM brakes. The V consistently stopped in a little over half the distance of the Vette, even after switching drivers. I know, we should have used a Z06.

The real test will be at the road courses. I expect lower brake temperature and more even pad wear due to the Six piston calipers and the size and shape of the aftermarket pads. The pads are stated as 17.5mm in total width with a variance of .25mm either way. If you receive Four pads that are 17.75mm width each you may have to remove some material to fit. If you are not a DIYer, have your Cobalt dealer measure them before they ship.

Because these properly vented Coleman Racing rings throw so much air, I will probably tape off my brake ducts for the October track days up north.

The OEM V2 caliper mounting bolts work fine with Bob's rotors. I had to double up on the inner copper washer where the V1 UUC brake lines bolt to the caliper. See attached picture for brake line to caliper housing clearance.

Check with Bob at PerformanceAFX for a pad reccomendation to fit your application.

Thanks Bob

Junior1 is offline Cadillac Owners Racer
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Racecar, 2011 Escalade ESV

This is just great news for V1 guys and just in time for my build

2 piece setup for stock brakes is one thing, but a 2 piece setup WITH upgraded V2 calipers is above and beyond...

yooper, zzilla, and Bob @ AFX
    2005 cadillac cts-v.r #83 nasa st3 . 2011 escalade esv . 2011 sierra denali

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

yooper, you got any access to a Team Dynamics wheel? I guess I don't have any reason to think they would not fit, but I'd hate to spend the $$$ and then find out they don't.

Yes, Crankedupforit has them with 275/35/18's and we usually meet up at the track. I am sure we can test fit for clearance.
    Cranked are you attending the Badger Bimmer Event at RA?

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    yooper, you got any access to a Team Dynamics wheel? I guess I don't have any reason to think they would not fit, but I'd hate to spend the $$$ and then find out they don't.

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

Quote Originally Posted by yooper View Post
    Yes, Crankedupforit has them with 275/35/18's and we usually meet up at the track. I am sure we can test fit for clearance.
    Cranked are you attending the Badger Bimmer Event at RA?
    I was too late signing up for Badger Bimmer event but I'm with MVP on October 14th and 15th. Be happy to help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.