V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by CADZILA The part #s for the V2 Brake Calipers in yellow are as follows: 20982719 CALIPER, FRT ...
    lunarx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Mallett 427 CTS-V, 10 E63 AMG

Re: V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars

Quote Originally Posted by CADZILA View Post
    The part #s for the V2 Brake Calipers in yellow are as follows:

20982719 CALIPER, FRT BRK (YELLOW) ("V" LOGO) 2011-2011 01 (ACDelco #172-2521) -LH

20982734 CALIPER, FRT BRK (YELLOW) ("V" LOGO) 2011-2011 01 (ACDelco #172-2522) -RH

20982644 CALIPER RR BRK (YELLOW) ("V" LOGO) 2011-2011 01 (ACDelco #172-2523) -LH

20982647 CALIPER RR BRK (YELLOW) ("V" LOGO) 2011-2011 01 (ACDelco #172-2524) -RH

I have a friend in wholesale parts at a gm dealership and he gave me a price today of

$343.92 front each

$231.33 rear each

Anyone else price these yet? Does this sound about right? .....
    Your price is good.
    It's $30 less, for the Front Calipers, than what I paid.

Only 10K miles on your V?
    Your next mod should be gas for the tank, so you can go drive it.

CADZILA is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 V

Quote Originally Posted by liqidvenom View Post
    or you can buy the calipers from a scrap yard or something for much less.
    Indeed this would be a good option if you could even find a V2 in a wrecking yard. And you would still have to paint them. (finding a Black Diamond edition V2 in a junk yard would be like finding a needle is a haystack) I did find a guy on ebay last week who had ONE front V2 caliper in silver for $150 new. Great price for a single. $200 off wholesale. So deals are out there if you look. I just posted the prices and part #s cuz I didn't see them posted anywhere else and wanted to get a feel for what this upgrade would cost total. I love this look with the yellow calipers and giant brakes

Picture_0091 (2) (800x598).jpg

but for now I will just paint mine

garrettg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V | 07 Aprilia Tuono R
    Any idea if team dyamic wheels will clear v2 calipers?

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Tapatalk

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by garrettg View Post
    Any idea if team dyamic wheels will clear v2 calipers?

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Tapatalk
    Probably. Same type of spoke depth as my TSW Nuburgrings on my V2 and they clear with plenty of room. Of course, my V2 calipers are on my V2. But I think they'd be fine...

zzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): cts v-xlr v

Hi guys,
    Update on rotors for the V2 rotor/caliper- V1 retrofit. The photo is of the rear rotors I just recieved from "Performance AFX" they are coleman rotors with a slot pattern I supplied to them.The front rotors are on there way also for the 6piston caliper. Unfortunately Racing brake dropped the ball. I called them every month from the time I started this (Last Year) they would say yes then no then maybe. At this point I said make up your mind and they could not( I guess they finally did Too Late). So thanks to "Yooper" I was put into contact with Robert Finlayson at "Performance AFX" and he said he would make them. The rear rotors are 2 piece where as the front will be floating. There will be an option for non floating/fixed for the front which will cost less.I ordered the floating where Yooper ordered the fixed, that way we can give you feed back on both. I think Yooper might have some of the new rears avail now as for the front I think they should be here this week.
    Attached Images

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

I love brake pr0n...

Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by zzilla View Post
    coleman rotors with a slot pattern I supplied to them.
    Just curious, but what is the benefit of that "grasslands" sort of pattern vs a more traditional set of single curves?

zzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): cts v-xlr v

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
    Just curious, but what is the benefit of that "grasslands" sort of pattern vs a more traditional set of single curves?
    Better degassing and more bite

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

Nice piece! Those look like the rotors on the first factory race cars.

Hi guys,
    The rear rotors are 2 piece where as the front will be floating.
    I thought 2 piece and floating were the same thing.

lunarx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Mallett 427 CTS-V, 10 E63 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by crankedupforit View Post
    Nice piece!
    Those look like the rotors on the first factory race cars.

I thought 2 piece and floating were the same thing.
    They are close but Floating allows the Disc Rotor to Expand in Radius without distorting the Hat.
    Usually this is accomplished with elongated mounting holes in the Disc and Special Attachment Hardware that provide the Disc freedom of radial movement.

Fixed has no freedom of movement at the Disk to Hat attachment point.

CADZILA is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 V

Hi guys,
    Update on rotors for the V2 rotor/caliper- V1 retrofit. The photo is of the rear rotors I just recieved from "Performance AFX" they are coleman rotors with a slot pattern I supplied to them.The front rotors are on there way also for the 6piston caliper. Unfortunately Racing brake dropped the ball. I called them every month from the time I started this (Last Year) they would say yes then no then maybe. At this point I said make up your mind and they could not( I guess they finally did Too Late). So thanks to "Yooper" I was put into contact with Robert Finlayson at "Performance AFX" and he said he would make them. The rear rotors are 2 piece where as the front will be floating. There will be an option for non floating/fixed for the front which will cost less.I ordered the floating where Yooper ordered the fixed, that way we can give you feed back on both. I think Yooper might have some of the new rears avail now as for the front I think they should be here this week.
    Is that a straight or curved vane rotor? Also, is this a racing only part or is it designed for street use? Will the parking brake still function as it was designed? Will I have to wait for the rotors to cool down before applying the parking brake? I notice that the friction area of this rotor is wider than the rear brake pads where the original rotor friction area is the same. Do you see a potential problem when the rotor wears and a ridge will develop around the inside of that friction area? Other rotors I have seen are cut down in this area to prevent this.

Black Sunshine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Really appreciate y'all's efforts. Great work. Now I've got a quick off topic ? for the brake experts.

I hit something yesterday and cut my left rear stainless braided brake line. Any suggestions on getting a single braided replacement (besides having one made)? No shops nearby to make a replacement.

yooper is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV and Caddy powered Chevy

Is that a straight or curved vane rotor? Also, is this a racing only part or is it designed for street use? Will the parking brake still function as it was designed? Will I have to wait for the rotors to cool down before applying the parking brake? I notice that the friction area of this rotor is wider than the rear brake pads where the original rotor friction area is the same. Do you see a potential problem when the rotor wears and a ridge will develop around the inside of that friction area? Other rotors I have seen are cut down in this area to prevent this.
    Not sure what you mean by straight or curved vane rotor. What would you call this? OK, did some research, the PerformanceAFX are what is know as a curved van rotor.

As to the application, I expect the 2pc rotor asssembly built with Coleman Racing rotor rings or built by Racing Brakes to be designed and assembled with quality material to withstand the severe application of running our cars on a road course to whatever our driving ability allows us. In my opinion either of these rotors will be more than adequite for street use. The key is to match up the pads for your application and driving style. You may find a brake pad that you are very comfortable with on the road course, but this pad may generate an annoying squeal with casual driving on the street because the pad in not operating in it's optimum temperature range. If you have brake cooling ducts and drive your car to the track, you could put a tennis ball or nurf ball in the ducting to restrict most of the air, therefore allowing your track pad to retain some heat while driving on the street and help eliminate some of the squealling.

Basically everything is a function of utilization. The OEM Brembo Calipers and rotors are very good, one needs to find a brake pad that matches their application and expectations. The OEM pads are an excellent street pad. IMO the OEM calipers fitted with 2pc rotors and aftermarket brake pads are not a "racing only setup". They do perform quite well on the road course but they are not the same as a racing only package. The race only package is a lot more money. The PerformanceAFX and RacingBrake 2pc rotors will be too much brake for some drivers and not enough for others. For the driving level that I am at now, I like a quality 2pc rotor with an aggressive pad that offers a heavy initial bite with good modulation and a wide temperature range. Yes these pads will squeal on the street when cold, but they and the PerformanceAFX rotors fit my application and I utilize the heck out of them.

As to the parking brake, yes it will function as a parking brake. If you need to use it as an emergency brake, no an aluminum surface with not be as effective as a steel surface.
    If you track your car you do not want to apply the parking brake after coming off the track whether it contacts steel or aluminum. IMO the aluminum hat will cool faster than steel but as far as a parking brake, it's a mute point.

As to the friction area, take a look at the OEM rotor and you will see that the factory designed friction area is wider than the pad. It is very noticable with a fairly new OEM rotor as you can see the friction area next to the pad that is not wearing. The single mock up picture can be confusing. It is the V1 steering knuckle, bearing,and OEM rotor with the V2 OEM six piston caliper mounted. The dual mock up picture show the V1 steering knuckle, Corvette bearing, and OEM V2 rotor and caliper. The friction area on the OEM V2 rotor is wider than the pad as well. I have not experienced any problems regarding this on OEM, RacingBrake,or PerformanceAFX 2pc rotors.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.