V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Does anyone know if Brembo sells a "off the shelf" 6 piston front Caliper that will bolt on? And if ...
    wraprail is offline Banned

Re: V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars

Does anyone know if Brembo sells a "off the shelf" 6 piston front Caliper that will bolt on? And if so, cost compared to the factory 2009-2011 piece?
    Another thing, will the stock V1 master cylinder work with the V2 6 piston caliper?
    What will this do to the front/rear brake bias? Will a adjustable proportioning valve be required? Is that even possible with ABS?

yooper is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV and Caddy powered Chevy

Thanks for all the questions and interest. The rotor size is 370 x 34 mm. Coleman Racing supplies their rotor rings thru their dealers who in turn build the rotors for an application. These rotors are being built by PerformanceAFX. PerformanceAFX is very well known and respected supplier of 2pc rotors to the Corvette community. You can confirm this by doing a search on the Corvette Forum which is where I found them. As a Coleman Racing Dealer they build and sell hundreds of rotors per year and probably order 50 rotors at a time.

After discussing with Luke, I approached Bob at PerformanceAFX regarding a cost effective solution for this conversion. Knowing very well that this application would be very low volume sales compared to his Corvette and Miata markets, Bob agreed to look at this based upon a minimum quanity of 5 sets. These rotors will be made to his design and spec's and I am sure that is proprietary information as would be with any manufacturer. I do know that he uses domestic steel and everything is made in the USA.

For answers to your technical questions give Bob a call at (815)254-2631. I know he is working on some different options with zzilla.

Junior1 is offline Cadillac Owners Racer
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Racecar, 2011 Escalade ESV

Yoop, Sorry I did not call, was up at Monticello. I definitely would be interested and probably for front and rears. My one holdup is to see who is tracking their V with this front brake setup. Just to see if there are any pros/cons I'm not thinking of. Also fitment with TD Wheels as well. I'm assuming they will be fine since stockers fit, but just to be sure.

I would rather a 2 piece upgrade just for the stock calipers since the brakes seem to be fine for now and do the full caliper upgrade later but I can't seem to get any info on the PFC setup another member has.
    One good thing is if the V1 and V2 Rear Calipers are the same, they can be swapped for the yellows instead of the silver, might look pretty cool all around.
    2005 cadillac cts-v.r #83 nasa st3 . 2011 escalade esv . 2011 sierra denali

yooper is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV and Caddy powered Chevy

Lunarx the rear parking brake drum is aluminum as is the hat.

Junior1 sounds good. I see crankedupforit is running TD wheels with 275 x 18 Hoosiers. I usually see him at Road America and I'm sure we could test fit a front wheel over the 6 piston calipers once they arrive.

One of the benefits of the 6 piston retro fit is more even pad wear. The V2 calipers have staggered size pistons which help reduce brake pad taper. By looking at the attached photo's you will notice the V2 caliper has the smallest piston closest to the rotor rotation and the largest piston is the last in the rotation arc.

The 6 piston caliper pads are quite a bit longer and combined with the staggered piston diameters should produce the same clamping force. With the clamping force being applied more even over a larger area I would hope pad temperatures will be somewhat lower.

As stated in another thread, the 04-07 V braking capabilities are fantastic when equipped with quality 2pc rotors and quality pads. I prefer the advantages of the V2 front brakes and think the engineers did a great job in spec'ing the front calipers.

There are 5th gen Camaro's running with the V2 calipers. Check out the thread on Camaro5 Forum.

Thanks for the visuals yooper, side by side they are night and day.
    I agree, I haven't run into any issues with my stock calipers either but I can feel the difference in brakes when I track the V2

Any track/driving experience with the V2 calipers yet on yours? Or anyone else for that matter...

Gonna check camaro5 now...

More than likely my car will go the way of dedicated track/race car (Comp License on its way), but until it gets trailered everywhere I just want to make sure it can handle the drives with no problems

Back from the camaro5 threads...
    (on a side note, its sure nice to have a decent amount of vendors designing/supporting/testing/racing new products for your car, Pfadt/Pedders/LG/etc, I'm a bit jealous)

Anyways, a quick question for you yooper...

I've got a Baer Brake setup on my Silverado and a Wilwood setup on my Escalade and never ran into any problems but I was just wondering...It seems the brake bias happened to work out perfectly for those guys. Seems like Pedders and another brake engineer crunched the numbers to really make sure all was well. Has anyone done the math to verify we're not going in the wrong direction with this?

Thanks for the help, and doing the legwork on all this too

Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by yooper View Post
    The V2 calipers have staggered size pistons which help reduce brake pad taper.
    Just FYI, the V1 front calipers also have staggered sized pistons. It's not as visually obvious as the V2 caliper, but they are.

UnsafeAtAnySpd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero

I was trying to find the yellow V2 calipers online but couldn't. Are they the same part number or different?

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Just had my V2 at VIR and the first track day with dedicated slicks and pads. The V2 brakes are amazing with 4200lbs. On 3850? egads...

blackax is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

It looks Like racing brake is make a front rotor for with the v1 hat and v2 ring :-)

CADZILA is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 V

Yes what happened to the Racing Brake upgrade rotors you all committed
    to purchasing? Same as when they did the rear rotors. When it's time to buy
    they jump ship. You know who you are......

Hang out. I'm starting to get confused here.

Are there 2 companies working on the same thing now?
    The thread started out with Racing Brake but then yooper has been saying Coleman Racing.

Who's making the hats ? Racing Brake or Coleman or both ?
    Who's making the rings ? Racing Brake or Coleman or both ?

Is the set yooper is talking about have Racing Brake hats with Coleman rings ?

Just to make sure, nobody has the 2 piece set for V1's yet except for UUC (no longer made) and Performance Friction (no info on), correct?

blackax is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Junior1 View Post
    Hang out. I'm starting to get confused here.

Are there 2 companies working on the same thing now?
    The thread started out with Racing Brake but then yooper has been saying Coleman Racing.

Who's making the hats ? Racing Brake or Coleman or both ?
    Who's making the rings ? Racing Brake or Coleman or both ?

Is the set yooper is talking about have Racing Brake hats with Coleman rings ?

Just to make sure, nobody has the 2 piece set for V1's yet except for UUC (no longer made) and Performance Friction (no info on), correct?
    Racing Brake already had a front and rear. They are taking that hat from the front and putting the v2 ring on it.

Quote Originally Posted by blackax View Post
    Racing Brake already had a front and rear. They are taking that hat from the front and putting the v2 ring on it.
    Got ya, so Racing Brake makes a 2 piece kit for stock Gen 1's as well as the upgrade to V2 calipers.

The Coleman Racing's are just for the upgrade to V2 calipers.

So there is more than one option now...

Sigfod is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Coleman racing is a pretty standard supplier for rotor rings. My other car's 2 piece rotors use Coleman rings.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.