V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars - Page 15
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by Jeff James OK, Just to get this right. V2-V1 Buy V2 rotors and redrill HubCenter & Studs, ...
    garrettg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Re: V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff James View Post
    OK, Just to get this right. V2-V1 Buy V2 rotors and redrill HubCenter & Studs, Buy V2 Yellow Front Calipers & bolts, Redrill Mounting holes in Upright, Buy V2 Rear calipers (Yellow) and mount directly as replacement without changing rotor??? Does this pretty much cover it? This is Waaayyy too easy if true. It makes this an affordable upgrade without all the Racing stuff. Makes a street car much better on a Track day and still a great DD. Someone Please acknowledge!!

----------

Oh Yeah, These fit with OE 18" wheels,right?????????
    They should fit over stock wheels fine, team dynamics wheels I have not heard yet but if the v2 calipers are any wider than the v1 then I would doubt it without a spacer up front as they barely clear the v1 calipers.

AAIIIC - Are you going to re-drill a 2nd one and give it a go or starting to have some doubts? Luke from Lindsay had posted a new rotor provider for 2 piece fronts for both v1 and v2 perhaps he could cook something up for people doing the v2 caliper on the v1 and not wanting to spend a grand on rotors.

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

OK, Just to get this right. V2-V1 Buy V2 rotors and redrill HubCenter & Studs, Buy V2 Yellow Front Calipers & bolts, Redrill Mounting holes in Upright, Buy V2 Rear calipers (Yellow) and mount directly as replacement without changing rotor??? Does this pretty much cover it? This is Waaayyy too easy if true. It makes this an affordable upgrade without all the Racing stuff.
    Yes, that is correct. It's still not exactly cheap, but the OEM rotors are a heckuva lot cheaper than the 2-piece aftermarket ones.

Somewhere in this thread or one of the other threads I'm pretty sure there are pics with these mounted with OEM wheels, and I know there are pics with the TD wheels (I made sure my TD wheels would fit before I committed to this course of action).

Quote Originally Posted by garrettg View Post
    AAIIIC - Are you going to re-drill a 2nd one and give it a go or starting to have some doubts?
    I will definitely be drilling the 2nd rotor, might even get to it this weekend. I will most likely also end up with a set of the RB rings to go on the V1 RB hats I've already got. My V1 rotor rings are pretty much toast, so they were due for replacement anyway.

Jeff James is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 V1

It's me again!! Collecting pieces and need to know if my existing braided hoses will work with the V2 calipers? Thanks Guys, You are the best source for info(good and Bad) out there. However the good always outweighs the bad.

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    I will definitely be drilling the 2nd rotor, might even get to it this weekend. I will most likely also end up with a set of the RB rings to go on the V1 RB hats I've already got. My V1 rotor rings are pretty much toast, so they were due for replacement anyway.
    So, a month and a half later I wandered out to the garage to do some clean-up and on a whim pulled out the second rotor. This time I used a 1/2" Unibit that I remembered I had and found that worked quite a bit better on the two holes that overlap the original V2 holes. I also ended up with a tighter fit for the studs in the holes, as I didn't use the bigger 9/16" bit - I just used the 1/2" Unibit, then did some additional clearancing as necessary with the Dremel and a round file.

On the first overlapping hole I tried to go a bit too fast, and the Unibit did catch the edge and try to twist out. However, it still got me pretty close to a completed hole - better than I had managed on rotor #1 when I screwed up the second overlapping hole. So, I figured it couldn't hurt to try the Unibit again on the second overlapping hole on rotor #2, and I found that if I went a bit slower and let the bit do the work it didn't try to jump out. With that bit of knowledge I went back at the first hole again and was able to drill it the rest of the way.

The car is off being tuned right now, so now complete install yet. I still need to drill the front knuckles for the bigger caliper mounting bolts, then I'll be good to go.

It's me again!! Collecting pieces and need to know if my existing braided hoses will work with the V2 calipers? Thanks Guys, You are the best source for info(good and Bad) out there. However the good always outweighs the bad.
    They should work fine. I don't plan on swapping mine out.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Sigfod is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Any Picts?

Looks about like the last one I did.

Once I get the car back from the tuner and have a chance to get everything installed I'll post up some pics.

soflarick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

You going to have the old holes welded, and the rotors rebalanced?

Quote Originally Posted by soflarick View Post
    You going to have the old holes welded, and the rotors rebalanced?
    Nah.

A couple pics to compare the second rotor:

... to the first one:

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

reviving a dead thread. But I'm just curious if anyone has photos of the front v2 calipers and where you have to re-drill for it to bolt on?

After being away from my car for a few months, I'll finally be picking it up tomorrow. I plan to install the V2 brakes this weekend using the rotors I re-drilled. In the near future I'll pick up some RB rotor rings for my existing rotor hats for track use.

Quote Originally Posted by OneFast V View Post
    reviving a dead thread. But I'm just curious if anyone has photos of the front v2 calipers and where you have to re-drill for it to bolt on?
    It's just the mounting holes for the caliper, so there's really nothing to show.

After being away from my car for a few months, I'll finally be picking it up tomorrow. I plan to install the V2 brakes this weekend using the rotors I re-drilled. In the near future I'll pick up some RB rotor rings for my existing rotor hats for track use.

It's just the mounting holes for the caliper, so there's really nothing to show.
    Is it enlarging the hole or redrilling the positions? Is it necessary to redrill both holes or only one? I'm just trying to get an idea. Maybe maching up a v2 rotor would help.

The V2 caliper uses 14mm mounting bolts, while the V1 caliper uses 12mm mounting bolts. The bolt spacing is the same, so you just have to drill out the mounting holes in the knuckle.

The V2 caliper uses 14mm mounting bolts, while the V1 caliper uses 12mm mounting bolts. The bolt spacing is the same, so you just have to drill out the mounting holes in the knuckle.
    Okay that makes much more sense.

I finally got around to finishing the job with the re-drilled OEM rotors. At some point in the near future I'll be buying a pair of V2 rotor rings from Racing Brake to put on the RB hats that I've already got, but that can wait for now.

Here's a shot from the back with my cooling duct spindle plate installed.

With that gap in between the center hat and the rotor ring I don't know how effective the spindle plate really is - seems like the forced air has too much of a path to escape.

Caliper installed:

And with the 19" Linea Corse wheel installed:

I need to wash the car so I can get a good profile shot to show off the yellow calipers on the Stealth Grey car.

No real change in feel with just street pads installed. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how they do on track. With the much bigger pads (~50% larger) and beefier rotors I think they should hold up better to my apparently abusive braking style.
    Junior1, Junior1, yooper and 1 others like this.

A variety of updates since the last time I posted:

- I finally had a chance to get the V2 setup on track. Unfortunately, I only got 1 good session in before the alternator crapped out on me and I had to swap cars and finish the event in my Subaru. For that 1 session, though, the brakes felt frickin' great!

- I just discovered that Centric is now making a V2 front rotor - PN 12062128, only $84 thru rockauto.com. That's a helluva lot cheaper than the OEM rotors. I was worried that an aftermarket option might not become available because of the design of the V2 rotor (cast iron ring cast around an aluminum center section), so I'm very happy to see I was wrong.

- I've verified that the 18x8.5" Rota Torques will clear these brakes. The Rotas are currently my cool weather setup w/all-seasons on 'em, and I put them on the car this week.

- This probably won't affect most folks, but the Racing Brake center hats are thinner than the OEM center hats. As a result, you lose a couple millimeters of caliper clearance (to the back of the wheel spokes) when you install the RB rotors. So, if you're running a set of wheels with tight caliper clearance (like the used set of CCWs I bought and ran for 1 session on track), you might find that you can't run the fancy 2-piece rotors because the ~2.5mm of clearance just became ~0.5mm. Fortunately, it is not an issue with the Team Dynamics track wheels.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.