V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars - Page 13
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Looks kinda like a V1 caliper, but yeller. If I could figure out where in the garage I've hidden the ...
    AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Re: V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars

Looks kinda like a V1 caliper, but yeller.

If I could figure out where in the garage I've hidden the damn splinedrive lugnut key , I'd take a picture with the wheel installed.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Some d00d in V2 showed pics of his deep blue Vagon with black rims and yellow calipers. It really popped! I have no doubt it will on yours as well...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Got the front calipers and pin kits from Luke yesterday.

With all the talk of doing 2-piece rotors, can someone refresh my memory if re-drilling the factory V2 rotors was discussed and determined to not be feasible for some reason? It would be nice to be able to buy rotors for ~$225 or so to use on the street and swap the 2-piece rotors and track pads on just for the track (which is what I've always done with the stock setup). It seems to me that if Racing Brake is able to put V2 rotor rings on the original V1 hats (which I already have) using their center mount style rings, then the hat offset of the V1 and V2 brakes must be essentially the same. Based on that assumption, it seems like a re-drilled V2 rotor should work on the V1 w/V2 calipers.

soflarick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

I'd contact RB to find out if the V2 ring has an offset compared to the V1 ring.

I'm going to stop in on Luke in the morning to measure a V2 rotor myself. He's got 'em in stock, so this should be quick and easy. I will post back with my findings.

Sexy...

soflarick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

I wonder if the V2 front and rear hubs fit the V1????? Would require a wheel change, but the wheel options improve and front brake rotor cost goes down.

What lug nuts are holding the rotor down?
    slowwrx likes this.

Hat offset is the same. The center bore, however, is not - the V2 is ~65mm vs ~70mm for the V1. I went ahead and bought 1 rotor, anyway, and I'm going to check with a machine shop to see how much it would cost to have the rotor re-drilled and the bore enlarged. If it was just re-drilling, I think I could do it myself, but enlarging the center bore isn't something I'm equipped to do.

Off to the machine shop! (Same place that welded up my modified C5 brake cooling spindle plates - he remembered me when I called. )

Keep us abreast! A breast?

The machine shop is going to enlarge the center bore, and then I'm going to (try to) re-drill the bolt pattern. Having him do the new bolt pattern was going to be quite a bit more expensive, and I think I can do it myself without too much trouble. The center section of the V2 rotor is aluminum, so I think with a couple of good drill bits I'll be good to go. Famous last words?

It's kind of a small, old school machine shop, so a more up-to-date place might have quoted me something more reasonable to re-drill the bolt pattern. I'll probably look into that for future reference once this set is done. I should have the rotors back this week, but I'm traveling during the 3-day weekend, so I don't know when I'll get them drilled.

serik is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts-v

i dunno if this has been discussed but have you guys looked into using a regualr cts hub 2004-7 and using the new v's disc and brake calipers?

Not the same bolt pattern - CTS is 5x115mm, V2 is 5x4.75".

Quote Originally Posted by soflarick View Post
    I wonder if the V2 front and rear hubs fit the V1?????
    Looking at SKF's website, it appears the dimensions all match. However, the images they show for the V2 hubs don't show any provision for ABS. The pic of the Timken wheel bearing for the V2 on rockauto.com is the same. Just based on that (and not having ever actually seen the V2's brake/bearing/ABS setup) it appears the V2 uses wheel speed sensors that are separate from the hub, so that's a definite stumbling block there.

Quote Originally Posted by soflarick View Post
    What lug nuts are holding the rotor down?
    McGard Splinedrives, which I now have on all 3 of my cars. They're black chrome (as opposed to being painted black, like cheaper lug nuts), so the finish seems to hold up really well.

I got the rotors back from the machine shop this morning with the center bore enlarged. Now I just need to drill the bolt pattern. I gave the guy at the machine shop one of my old front hubs to use to test fitment; he cleaned it up and popped the studs out (so the 5-bolt rotor could slip onto the hub pilot without the 6-lug studs in the way), so I have that as a handy guide for setting up the bolt pattern. I'm heading out of town for the long weekend, so that task will probably wait a while; update to follow at some later date.

jweymar is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Eforce LS3 V

Quote Originally Posted by yooper View Post
    I agree, well said, and the pads run cooler. I had no heat cracks in the pads aftet three aggressive track days compared to the same pad compound, track, and driving style. The only difference was going from Bridgestone RE-11 to the conti/hoosier in 273/35/18 and the SKF racing hubs.

I started out using my same braking points and quite frankly, I could have parked the car. Eventually moved down to 150' and less in the highest braking zones. Ran the first day with out brake cooling ducts as seen in pictures. Installed my brake cooling ducts for the second day at Road America and pissed off a lot of BMW and Porsche owners.

Even got in some trail braking. Ran with traction control off and the ABS never kicked in. The V2 calipers fitted with Cobalt Racing XR1 pads on the front and rear were very consistant and I could have pushed them harder had I not wore out the tires. Autobahn has 20 turns per lap.

The attached pictures were taken during the last sessions of each day.
    Where do you get the Cobalt Racing XR1 Pads?

yooper is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV and Caddy powered Chevy

Quote Originally Posted by jweymar View Post
    Where do you get the Cobalt Racing XR1 Pads?
    pm sent.
    PerformanceAFX

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.