V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars - Page 12
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Really? I find the stock pads in the V2 to be lacking a bit....
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Re: V2 rotor/caliper retrofit for V1 cars

Really? I find the stock pads in the V2 to be lacking a bit.

lunarx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Mallett 427 CTS-V, 10 E63 AMG

Lacking?
    Compared to what and for what use?
    I feel that for a 100% streetable pad they hold their own fairly well on track.

What would you run if you could only run 1 pad (on a V2) for everything?
    (not our case but a good question to put the goodness of factory pads in perspective)
    05 Mallett [M]/RPM CTS-V: 522WHP 487WTQ (DYNOmite) | 427 C5R Block | P&P LS7 Heads | Dry Sump Oil sys (12qt) | [M] Oi1 Cooler | Aeromotive 340 FP | LPE CAI | SW 1-3/4" Headars | RT Hi Flow Cats | B&B 3" Exhuast | ACT Twin Disk Clutch | UUC Shifter | RPM Trans Level-V Build | MN6 Geer Ratio Conv | Cryo Treated Diff | GM T2 Diff Cooler | [M] Anti Wheel Hop Kit | FG2 Shocks | SS Brake Limes | Slotted Cryo Rotars | [M] Modified Front Spindles | 275-35-19 PS2 F&R | [M] 19x9 Billet Whels F&R |

soflarick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

I chose to stick with RB pads ET500 and ET800, so I won't have to worry about conflicting pad compounds. There may be "better" track pads out there, but I'm on street tires and still driving novice. ET500s on the street, then swap to the 800s for events. Haven't driven on the 800s yet.

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

I had a set of ET500 or ET800 and i managed to destroy a set at my last track day. Ive always been a big RB fan but those pads failed me on the track.

I felt the stock pads to be a bit soft under hard braking. They left a soft pedal and stopping distances seemed a bit longer than when running Hawks. I run Hawk DTC-30 pads for the street and auto-x. I've run it on the track and it works very well. But someone said if you get them too hot, the pads effectiveness falls off. I didn't see that at Summit Point so I doubt you'd ever see that on the street.

But the DTC-30 has excellent bite, even when cold, and gives good feedback. I've run them the past 2 summers(April to November) and still have them on now. And the stopping distances are noticeably better than stock...

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

I then run Hawk DTC-70 for the front pads, DTC-60 for the rear when on the track now...
    lunarx and lunarx like this.

Can't fault a guy for running DTC-30 on the street.
    No argument on those performing better than the stock pads.

How is rotor wear and squeeking in street use?

Also, can you get DTC-30 for the rear calipers?

---------- Post added 12-08-11 at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-07-11 at 11:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by liqidvenom View Post
    I had a set of ET500 or ET800 and i managed to destroy a set at my last track day. Ive always been a big RB fan but those pads failed me on the track.
    Which ones died at the track, ET-500 or ET-800?

There is a big price difference between those 2 pads.
    I would not be a bit surprized if the ET-500's died.
    However, if you stepped up for the much more expensive ET-800's and they let you down, that would be interesting news.
    05 Mallett [M]/RPM CTS-V: 522WHP 487WTQ (DYNOmite) | 427 C5R Block | P&P LS7 Heads | Dry Sump Oil sys (12qt) | [M] Oi1 Cooler | Aeromotive 340 FP | LPE CAI | SW 1-3/4" Headars | RT Hi Flow Cats | B&B 3" Exhuast | ACT Twin Disk Clutch | UUC Shifter | RPM Trans Level-V Build | MN6 Geer Ratio Conv | Cryo Treated Diff | GM T2 Diff Cooler | [M] Anti Wheel Hop Kit | FG2 Shocks | SS Brake Limes | Slotted Cryo Rotars | [M] Modified Front Spindles | 275-35-19 PS2 F&R | [M] 19x9 Billet Whels F&R |

Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    And the stopping distances are noticeably better than stock...
    You couldn't lock the brakes up with the stock pads?

Quote Originally Posted by liqidvenom View Post
    Destroy a set of which? On which side of the car? Based on the user comments elsewhere, the 800s are not full track pads, but an excellent performing track/street pad. The 500s are not a track pad. RB and user comments both confirm this. RB told me the 800s work well as an HPDE/OT pad on street tires, but they will not survive with a more experienced driver and/or track tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
    You couldn't lock the brakes up with the stock pads?
    I found it difficult to induce ABS with the stock pads. A bit easier to do with the DTC-30s. But with the big Michelins(and now Kumhos) on the V2, it's not like I'm locking them up on every hard braking zone...

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by lunarx View Post
    Can't fault a guy for running DTC-30 on the street.
    No argument on those performing better than the stock pads.

How is rotor wear and squeeking in street use?

Also, can you get DTC-30 for the rear calipers?
    I'm at 35k miles running DTC-30s for all but about 10k of those miles. Still on stock rotors although I noticed tiny cracks in the center of my front rotors. Don't really know what directly to attribute that to being that I've tracked it with track pads, but at least I know they won't kill the rotors overnight.

Squealing, yeah it's there. Which is annoying because my DTC-70s and DTC-60s have an embedded backing surface which results in little to no squeal. The DTC-30s that I have don't. Although, my DTC-30s were bought very early as Hawk was rushing to get the pads out for the V2 application. The pad sizes existed before, but the depths were wrong. I believe the GT-R pads had more pad material than ours do. So maybe DTC-30s available now have that backing on it.

Dust is also heavier but it's not out of control if you drive normally. Get on them and they'll dust like a track pad should...

You might have me convinced to try DTC-30 as an all-around pad, if offered in an embedded backing surface version.
    I didn't see DTC-30 listed for the rear calipers (on the Hawk website).

They would not crack your rotors with street use just grind them down.
    If you got 30K on your rotors, then no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by lunarx View Post
    You might have me convinced to try DTC-30 as an all-around pad, if offered in an embedded backing surface version.
    I didn't see DTC-30 listed for the rear calipers (on the Hawk website).

They would not crack your rotors with street use just grind them down.
    If you got 30K on your rotors, then no worries.
    I get my pads from these guys...

http://bigbrakeparts.net/searchResul...0Series%20Only

That is an informative site. I've used raceshopper in the past. Their prices are extremely competitive, and they have good knowledge of pads and pad materials.

Quote Originally Posted by soflarick View Post
    That is an informative site. I've used raceshopper in the past. Their prices are extremely competitive, and they have good knowledge of pads and pad materials.
    They're local to me, too, so that's nice...

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by CadzillaTN View Post
    Someone order the yellow ones!
    Almost a year later, I'm finally moving that way. I picked up a pair of yellow rear calipers from Luke @ Lindsay today to see if they were the same as the V1 rear calipers (other than the color, of course). As far as I can tell, they are.

A while back in another brake thread, lunarx said he had been told the silver V2 rear calipers were a different part number than the silver V1 rear calipers. I was pretty sure the rotors were the same (other than the bolt pattern), and the caliper body was the same, but there could have been some other changes (mounting bolt spacing, mounting bolt diameter, etc). That made me worry that if the silver ones weren't the same, then my plan of going with the yellow ones wouldn't work out, unless I went through the added trouble of sending my stock rear calipers off to be powdercoated to match the yellow fronts.

Turns out, that isn't necessary - the V2 calipers appear to be the same, and bolt up just fine. I have one side already installed and will do the other side later. I'll also go ahead and get the fronts, too, now that I know the yellow will work out OK.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Poast em up, pics!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.