Mystery Mods Revealed
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Mystery Mods Revealed in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; As I have mentioned briefly in the "appearance mod" furum, I recently purchased a 2007 CTS-V that I knew very ...
    V-Guy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V, Raven/Ebony; Harley Fatboy; Harley Ultra-Classic

Mystery Mods Revealed

As I have mentioned briefly in the "appearance mod" furum, I recently purchased a 2007 CTS-V that I knew very little about (except what was on the CarFax) when I bought it. I bought the car from a dealership near Indy - and the dealer had acquired it at auction. When I popped the lid at the lot, I could see that the prior owner had installed a Volent cold air induction system - so I asked the salesman about modifications. He just gave me a confused look, looked at his computer printout and said "as far as I know the car is all original equipment."

Upon driving it, I was extremely impressed with the performance, but I had only driven one other V before - and that was in 2005 - so I didn't have a baseline to compare it with. The CarFax indicated that it had been leased to one individual near Toledo and remained with him until the end of his lease, when he turned it in to his dealer and they sent it to auction. That made me very curious about the Volent - who would spend that kind of money on a leased car? The owner had also opted for the carbon fiber engine cover and strut brace, so I knew he didn't mind spending some money. Since the service record on the CarFax looked great, I decided to take a risk and buy the car. Of course, I've been VERY interested in finding out whether anything else has been modified.

Today, I found the prior owner's name written on the inside of the first page of the owner's manual, so I looked up a number for him in whitepages.com and gave him a call. He was actually very pleasant and seemed very enthused about talking about his former car. Interestingly, he is now leasing a new V coupe. He was running late to a meeting, so he gave me the number of his mechanic and told me to call him so he could tell me about "all the mods." Needless to say, I couldn't wait to talk to the guy!

The call with the mechanic was awesome. He was even more enthused to talk about the car than the owner, and he gave me a lot of detail about mods that I had no idea I had - and they all sound pretty good. But because I am a complete newbie to the CTS-V - as well as someone who is generally useless under the hood - I'd love to hear your impressions on this package and hear some suggestions on where I might want to go next.

My mods:

Thunder Racing "LS2 Cheatr" cam
    GM performance exhaust (manufactured by Corsa)
    Patriot LS Series Gold valve springs, with .629 in. of lift
    High performance ECM (he couldn't remember the specifics, but promised to get back to me)
    Upgraded GM performance rotors - drilled and slotted
    K-Tec Racing shifter, in 1-piece billet aluminum
    Volent cold air induction system

So what do you guys think of this package? And what do you think the next step should be? Headers? Blower? (Not that I could afford either right now - but I could start saving my pennies.) The smartest thing would probably be to just leave the car alone and enjoy driving it, but it's a lot of fun to consider the possibilities.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Guy

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Houdini is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MT, 2007 CTS-V (Sold)

Re: Mystery Mods Revealed

I'd say you got a nice setup.... what a lucky find. I wonder if they did any head work on it. You could go headers if you don't mind the noise. For now you should just drive it and have fun. They are awesome cars.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

That is SWEET! Big time score right thurr. Call the guy again and see if(and I'm sure he was) here at some point...

wcryan is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V Maggied

how many miles on the car?

Stepside is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor

Ask the mechanic, how many miles were on car when he put the cam in it.
    If he is within a practical driving distance, then you could have him service the car.
    A picture of the engine please.

Never mind on the picture . . just saw it in the appearance section.

Baltimore07V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

I'd leave it alone for a bit and enjoy the car. Ultimately you'd want to look at getting anti-hop axles, maybe some sways, and exhaust headers. Those are the easy ones to get. Oh, and give Luke @ Lindsay a call for steel braided brake lines. Just had mine done. Worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by wcryan View Post
    how many miles on the car?
    56K when I bought it in November.

Quote Originally Posted by Stepside View Post
    Ask the mechanic, how many miles were on car when he put the cam in it.
    If he is within a practical driving distance, then you could have him service the car.
    A picture of the engine please.

Never mind on the picture . . just saw it in the appearance section.
    That's a great question. I got the impression that the cam was put in after the car was a couple years old, but I'll send the mechanic a text and ask for specifics. He's in Toledo and I'm in Indy, so it's a bit of a haul, but not prohibitive.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Damn, you definitely lucked out with that find!

As the others said, enjoy what you've got for now. Drive it and figure out where you think it needs improvement after you've had it a while longer, then go from there.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

R3LF-13 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

what do you guys think of this package? And what do you think the next step should be?
    ...a driving school and a few trackdays. the weak link is you!

--your smart ass son.

Quote Originally Posted by R3LF-13 View Post
    ...a driving school and a few trackdays. the weak link is you!

--your smart ass son.
    Tru dat!!! ;-)

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Thunder Racing’s listing of that cam says: "LS2 CheaTR - 215/230 .629/.592 117 LSA. Off Idle-6800 RPM Power Band. Broad power range. Works well with stock exhaust manifolds and catalytic converters. Stock like idle.”

GM made the power produced by the LS2 used in the 2006-2007 V roughly equal to that of the LS6 used in earlier Vs (2004-2005) primarily by giving the LS2 a smaller camshaft and a less efficient intake manifold.

Since your V already has upgraded the camshaft, the next logical step is to upgrade the intake manifold.

I would recommend the FAST 102. Upgrading to a FAST 102 is particularly attractive to the LS2 owner, as opposed to the LS6 owner because: (a) it is a much larger improvement over stock than for the LS6; (b) the LS2 fuel rails can be used on the FAST 102 (the LS6 fuel rails cannot); and (c) the LS2 90mm throttlebody is a direct bolt-on to the FAST 102 (LS6 owners have to buy a new throttlebody and wiring harness).

Finally, to really get the most from the cam (and intake) you will need to at least replace the stock catalytic converters with high flow aftermarket units. Even larger gains would come from exhaust headers with high flow cats.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Thunder Racing’s listing of that cam says: "LS2 CheaTR - 215/230 .629/.592 117 LSA. Off Idle-6800 RPM Power Band. Broad power range. Works well with stock exhaust manifolds and catalytic converters. Stock like idle.”

GM made the power produced by the LS2 used in the 2006-2007 V roughly equal to that of the LS6 used in earlier Vs (2004-2005) primarily by giving the LS2 a smaller camshaft and a less efficient intake manifold.

Since your V already has upgraded the camshaft, the next logical step is to upgrade the intake manifold.

I would recommend the FAST 102. Upgrading to a FAST 102 is particularly attractive to the LS2 owner, as opposed to the LS6 owner because: (a) it is a much larger improvement over stock than for the LS6; (b) the LS2 fuel rails can be used on the FAST 102 (the LS6 fuel rails cannot); and (c) the LS2 90mm throttlebody is a direct bolt-on to the FAST 102 (LS6 owners have to buy a new throttlebody and wiring harness).

Finally, to really get the most from the cam (and intake) you will need to at least replace the stock catalytic converters with high flow aftermarket units. Even larger gains would come from exhaust headers with high flow cats.
    Darkman - this is fantastic information, and exactly the kind of input I was looking for. Thanks so much!!

Guy

BirdmanTamu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Wow. I can't believe one would put that type of modification(s) into a lease vehicle.

Sounds like you got one hell of a deal and possibly some more mods yet to be discovered. If it's not clunking after 50K miles there's prolly some poly in there too. Also if it's not hopping you might have some axles already installed. If not, that's where I'd spend first with this car.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdmanTamu View Post
    Wow. I can't believe one would put that type of modification(s) into a lease vehicle.

Sounds like you got one hell of a deal and possibly some more mods yet to be discovered. If it's not clunking after 50K miles there's prolly some poly in there too. Also if it's not hopping you might have some axles already installed. If not, that's where I'd spend first with this car.
    Actually, it's got a lot of wheel hop, so the upgraded axles are very high on my list! And forgive me a stupid newbie question, but what do you mean by "poly"??

Thanks for your help!!

Guy

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.