Mystery Mods Revealed - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Mystery Mods Revealed in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; When he says "poly" he is referring to polyurethane motor mounts, trans mount, and diff bushings. Cadillac fitted the V's ...
    c4ss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, Black

Re: Mystery Mods Revealed

When he says "poly" he is referring to polyurethane motor mounts, trans mount, and diff bushings. Cadillac fitted the V's mostly with cream puff, rubber bushings. Most V owners like to stiffen up the drivetrain a bit with these upgraded mounts. Good luck with the good find

V-Guy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V, Raven/Ebony; Harley Fatboy; Harley Ultra-Classic

Quote Originally Posted by c4ss View Post
    When he says "poly" he is referring to polyurethane motor mounts, trans mount, and diff bushings. Cadillac fitted the V's mostly with cream puff, rubber bushings. Most V owners like to stiffen up the drivetrain a bit with these upgraded mounts. Good luck with the good find
    Oustanding! Thanks!!

Zo6PwRd Guest

Ill have to agree and disagree with Darkman, before i bothered dropping 1000 on a FAST id pick up a set of pacesetter or OBX long tubes. Youll see a good gain for less money and itll sound a lot better.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Zo6PwRd View Post
    Ill have to agree and disagree with Darkman, before i bothered dropping 1000 on a FAST id pick up a set of pacesetter or OBX long tubes. Youll see a good gain for less money and itll sound a lot better.
    We may not disagree all that much. I think the current horsepower restrictions on this set up in order of magnitude/priority are as follows:

1. The stock catalytic converters.
    2. The stock intake.
    3. The stock exahaust manifold (the primaries).

Since headers would presumbly address items 1 and 3 at the same time the net gain is likely more than replacing the intake alone.

On the other hand, replacing the intake and the catalytic converters (e.g. with Random Techs or other high-flow cats) without getting headers might equal the gains of a header installation alone.

Again, fabulous information. Sounds like I have a to-do list! One question - are the catalytic converters on the GM Performance Exhaust (manufactured by Corsa) the same as the stock CCs? In other words, are they not "high-flow"? From darkman's last post, I assume they are the same as stock - or the stock converters are simply integrated into the new exhaust system when its mounted.

Thanks again, guys. This forum has been great education for me (an admitted newbie).

Guy

The Corsa, as well as other similar exhaust systems, replace the stock exhaust system downstream of the catalytic converter only and therefore retain the stock cats. Hence the nickname - "Catback."

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Take it to a dyno and see numbers and air fuel. Did it come with a handheld tuner?

Doctechx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V Black Raven w/Ebony

Good find. I am in the Indy area, and bought my 2006 V shortly before your 2007 hit the market. Did you find the car at Hare Chevrolet in Noblesville? If so, it also has the upgraded wheel package. One thing that I am very curious about is the Volant intake. I was under the impression that Volant did not make an LS2 intake for the CTS-V. I have researched this extensively, and I have only ever seen Volant for the LS6 models. Can anyone comment on this? Seems like the Volant intake tube would be an issue. Perhaps it is only a Volant box with the stock tube, or the Volant tube was modified. I can't imagine that they would change out the 90 mm TB to allow for straight bolt-up. Has anyone else been able to use the Volant intake on a LS2 V?

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I would have to say the cheater cam is great, but since you are opennin it up there are other nicer cams...Katech Spec-2, LPE GT-11, and others...I would also ask about this High performance ECM...Does he mean a tune???

Fast 90 or 92 ported would compliment your stock heads and headers are a must...

Dont forget to upgrade your clutch and brake lines...

Have a great build and if it doesnt sound right, ask questions

Quote Originally Posted by Doctechx View Post
    Good find. I am in the Indy area, and bought my 2006 V shortly before your 2007 hit the market. Did you find the car at Hare Chevrolet in Noblesville? If so, it also has the upgraded wheel package. One thing that I am very curious about is the Volant intake. I was under the impression that Volant did not make an LS2 intake for the CTS-V. I have researched this extensively, and I have only ever seen Volant for the LS6 models. Can anyone comment on this? Seems like the Volant intake tube would be an issue. Perhaps it is only a Volant box with the stock tube, or the Volant tube was modified. I can't imagine that they would change out the 90 mm TB to allow for straight bolt-up. Has anyone else been able to use the Volant intake on a LS2 V?
    A Cold Airtake Intake for the LS6 is adaptable to the LS2.

Even though the LS6 has a 78mm throttlebody and the LS2 has a 90mm throttlebody, the outside diameter of both throttle bodies is the same. So the tube fits. (I have a 90mm throttlebody on my LS6 using the stock intake tube).

The only other difference is that the LS2 intake tube has vacuum line just upstream of the throttlebody. I adapted my stock LS6 tube by simply drilling a hole and inserting a vacuum line take-off fitting just before the throttle body.

I have had the same question - I've never found a Volant that is explicitly made for the LS2. I don't actually know how the Volant was modified to fit my car, but I'm in contant contact with the gentleman who did all the mods, and I can certainly ask him that question - which I've been curious about too.

As always, darrkman's explanation makes perfect sense.

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by V-Guy View Post
    As always, darrkman's explanation makes perfect sense.
    As you'll find it usually does around here. Same OD case closed. BTW Congrats on finding out all these little niceties, I got to find out all the crap wrong with mine when I bought it! haha

Thanks! By the way, here are a couple pics. As you can see, it looks like the Volent tube was used.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    A Cold Airtake Intake for the LS6 is adaptable to the LS2.

Even though the LS6 has a 78mm throttlebody and the LS2 has a 90mm throttlebody, the outside diameter of both throttle bodies is the same. So the tube fits. (I have a 90mm throttlebody on my LS6 using the stock intake tube).

The only other difference is that the LS2 intake tube has vacuum line just upstream of the throttlebody. I adapted my stock LS6 tube by simply drilling a hole and inserting a vacuum line take-off fitting just before the throttle body.
    I just talked to Cliff, who did my mods. His reaction (very consistent with darkman):

"Tube fit no problem. Had to add a hump hose at the MAF (kept coming apart at WOT) and had to improv the breather hose."

Cliffy0503 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

V Guy, thanks for your kind words. I had so much fun working w/ that car. The prior owner never beat on the car of the line, just drove it fast, so he never had any complaints about wheel hop; now , a polly diff bushing will make a world of difference as has already been noted. Like I said, my goal was to make the car faster without having too many negative side effects on driveability. I am so glad to have been in contact with you and share some history on the car. I kind of miss it, but at least I know it is in good hands now. -Cliff

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.