noob here. are V shocks interchable with the standard cts?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, noob here. are V shocks interchable with the standard cts? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; tsup guys the reason i'm wondering is because KYB makes their AGX's for the V but not for the base ...
    dead civic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 SILVER CTS V

noob here. are V shocks interchable with the standard cts?

tsup guys the reason i'm wondering is because KYB makes their AGX's for the V but not for the base model. so I'm wondering if i can buy the v's AGX shocks and throw them on my standard CTS.

any input is greatly apreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Re: noob here. are V shocks interchable with the standard cts?

99% sure you can swap shocks between the V and the little CTS
    I would call KYB and ask about it though.

Actually yes, I remember some guys were selling their stock shocks to the CTS guys after upgrading.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Throw some V anti-sway bars on there, too, while you're at it.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by dead civic View Post
    tsup guys the reason i'm wondering is because KYB makes their AGX's for the V but not for the base model.
    Yes, the struts are interchangeable, but where are you seeing that KYB makes AGXs for the CTS-V? Their online catalog doesn't seem to think they do.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    99% sure you can swap shocks between the V and the little CTS
    I would call KYB and ask about it though.

Actually yes, I remember some guys were selling their stock shocks to the CTS guys after upgrading.
    tnaks for the replies guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    Yes, the struts are interchangeable, but where are you seeing that KYB makes AGXs for the CTS-V? Their online catalog doesn't seem to think they do.
    the guys at the shop kept saying they have them but for the V. so i'm assuming he was right. i hope they make them ...

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Throw some V anti-sway bars on there, too, while you're at it.
    i was just reading about that too. good upgrade

update. so after all the confusion of being told yess and no, various times. i went ahead and call KYB to ask what they made. turns out the oly shocks they make are the 'A-just' [i see were the confusion was about being adjustabel.] and they only make those for the base modles... sucks. then i called CG and turns out they still make coilover sleeves but only for the CTS V's... whitch i can still use for mine so i ordered them...i just wish someone made fully adjustable shocks

then i called CG and turns out they still make coilover sleeves but only for the CTS V's... whitch i can still use for mine
    The guys at Ground Control know very little about different applications. I used to have GC sleeves on my Legacy (actually, still have them sitting out in the garage on the struts that were on the car). For my generation of Legacy the struts were essentially identical to the Impreza, but they didn't know that rather simple detail, so they didn't know what to sell me. And then they wanted to sell me ridiculously high spring rates.

Speaking of which, what spring rates are you getting from GC?

so i ordered them...i just wish someone made fully adjustable shocks
    QA-1 does. I have no idea how much they cost, but a number of guys here have used them, typically with the GC sleeves.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    The guys at Ground Control know very little about different applications. I used to have GC sleeves on my Legacy (actually, still have them sitting out in the garage on the struts that were on the car). For my generation of Legacy the struts were essentially identical to the Impreza, but they didn't know that rather simple detail, so they didn't know what to sell me. And then they wanted to sell me ridiculously high spring rates.

Speaking of which, what spring rates are you getting from GC?

QA-1 does. I have no idea how much they cost, but a number of guys here have used them, typically with the GC sleeves.
    yeah just forund QA1's and penske making adjustable shocks yeah i meant Ground Control. cant wait to get this setup going. i'll post pics if you guys are intersted.

i'm actuall not familiar with spring rates if you have suggestions let me know other wise i'll just take what they standardly give with their sleeves.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Besides the stock springs, Ground Control kits start with 500 front/550 rear and go up from there for the Gen I CTS-V. My car has 600F/650R Eibachs as part of the GC kit, and it's noticeably firmer.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

yeah just forund QA1's and penske making adjustable shocks
    The Penskes will be $$$$, and are probably overkill unless you intend to do a lot of track and/or auto-x work.

i'm actuall not familiar with spring rates if you have suggestions let me know other wise i'll just take what they standardly give with their sleeves.
    Their standard rates might be completely unsuited to what you want to do with the car and what dampers you're using, so I would encourage you to not just take what they normally supply with their kits.

I don't know what the V6 models run from the factory, but the stock V rates are 400#/in front and rear, whether the car had the FE4 or FG2 struts. As rand said, guys have run 600/650 (and even higher) with GC sleeves on the FG2 struts. (Personally, I felt the stock setup was underdamped in rebound, so I can't imagine running spring rates that high, but others run those rates and love it.) I think the guys running QA1s run the same sort of rates. Only a couple/few guys have the Penskes, so I don't know how much real feedback you'll find on what rates work best.

If you're planning to run the GC sleeves on your stock struts, I would strongly encourage you to find out what the stock spring rates so you know where to start with your spring rate choices.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.