Shifter/Shifting Issues!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Shifter/Shifting Issues! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hello Guys, great forum and excellent info. I rarely post but read all the time. I need help....I have posted ...
    Izzmeister is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Shifter/Shifting Issues!

Hello Guys, great forum and excellent info. I rarely post but read all the time. I need help....I have posted something similar before but here goes.
    2007 CTS-V Black on Black
    Mods: HID 6k fogs and headlamps, Katch shifter/lindsay bushings, Eibachs with MM plates, poor-man's magnaflow(no-cats), nitto invos, LEDs everywhere, lingenfelter CAI...misc stuff.

Issue: Shifting is very difficult, I have to fight the shifter to get into gears especially 1st gear. I have checked just about everything, when the retaining nut on the bottom pivot that connects to the selector rod is tight it gets a little better for a few days but still is too difficult to shift and gets worse. I have checked everything twice in the car and will probably be dropping the tranny soon to see whats wrong.
    The bushing in the shifter bottom are stock and in good shape, the shifter is installed correctly and has been lubed at the pivot ball. I have noticed that when its cold out the car shifts a little better and in warm weather it really is difficult to shift. It feels like it gets stuck halfway like it has a rough spot. I have no choice but to check the rods connecting to the tranny and their bushings, etc. I have also drained the tranny fluid and re-filled with dex/mer as specified in the manual. Don't know why my car shifts so horribly. I have driven other Vs with the same shifter and it was an absolute joy to shift. Mine is rough and notchy all the time.

If anyone knows what I can look for at the tranny level please let me know. Im guessing it has to be the tranny forks or the bushings that connect to it.

Thanks Guys....btw my V did 352-HP/354-TQ at the wheels on a real dyno after the tune with the above mentioned mods...I have a dyno sheet and video of the car making the run if u guys want to see...I also have some pics of the car...nothing special but she's mine....lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Houdini is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MT, 2007 CTS-V (Sold)

Re: Shifter/Shifting Issues!

You've probably checked already but how was clutch fluid? Does it need to be changed or does the clutch need to be bled? What about your motor mounts? When mine were shot shifting got horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Houdini View Post
    You've probably checked already but how was clutch fluid? Does it need to be changed or does the clutch need to be bled? What about your motor mounts? When mine were shot shifting got horrible.
    Motor mount are creative steel and in good shape. Clutch fluid reservoir was empty but I filled it. The clutch engages well though, even when the car is off and I engage the clutch the shifting is just as bad. I think I am going to have to bring the tranny down and check that selector rod. It's the only thing I have not checked yet. I can feel that it binds before getting into gear fully and then snaps in gear.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Even though you topped off your hydraulic clutch fluid, the cheap (and smart) thing to do is bleed it and then top it off again with fresh fluid.

If that doesn't work, then we can take the next step.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

PISNUOFF Guest

Seems to me like you have an issue with the shift rod that goes into the top of the trans. Also, you may want to check and see if the center shift rod is hitting the boss that sticks out about 2" from the top/rear of the trans.

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    Seems to me like you have an issue with the shift rod that goes into the top of the trans. Also, you may want to check and see if the center shift rod is hitting the boss that sticks out about 2" from the top/rear of the trans.
    You know come to think of it when I was installing the Katech thru the top my stock shifter while connected fell on the driveshaft a few times pretty hard and dented the crap out of the rod. Maybe it changed the linkage geometry or even moved/damaed the pin that goes connected to the top of the trans. Can I buy just that linkage?

PISNUOFF Guest

I don't think you can buy just that linkage. Denting it upwards wouldn't harm the way it shifts, only where in the boot each gear is located. If you don't feel like the shifter stalk is hitting inside the cabin then you are OK. I also find it hard to believe that it hit hard enough to bend that rod, it's pretty sturdy.

PISNUOFF Guest

I think your issue is right here or under the cover right on top of this picture.

I'm going to just take it to the dealer and let them figure it out. I do not know what would break or go wrong there. I live in florida, weather is warm 95% of the year. These past 2 weeks have been pretty cold...30s 40s and 50s. The colder it is the better the shifting, don't know what the correlation is. @pisnuoff....what do u think the exact problem is? Inside the tranny? Or maybe the linkage bushing is shot? Suggestions before I take it to the dealer....

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Izzmeister View Post
    I'm going to just take it to the dealer and let them figure it out. I do not know what would break or go wrong there. I live in florida, weather is warm 95% of the year. These past 2 weeks have been pretty cold...30s 40s and 50s. The colder it is the better the shifting, don't know what the correlation is. @pisnuoff....what do u think the exact problem is? Inside the tranny? Or maybe the linkage bushing is shot? Suggestions before I take it to the dealer....
    No real suggestions, but one heads up - the first item on the transmission troubleshooting protocol (GM Service Manual) is to flush and bleed the clutch hydraulics. Many dealers, and other shops for that matter, will not even investigate other possible causes unless and until they are allowed to flush and bleed the system. So if you run into that, it does not necessarily mean they are out to get you.

Got it Darkman, Thanks everyone

PISNUOFF Guest

I can't give a good, educated guess without seeing/hearing/feeling exactly what it's doing. That being said, my gut feeling is that it's related to the trans itself.

lonestranger is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 V -Blk/Blk/Blk Corsa exhaust, UCC, K&N, Kooks Headers,

Maybe the battery in the Dewalt is low??? Just a thought!! (Grin!!!)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.