Tremec Transmission Freshened @ 172K - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Tremec Transmission Freshened @ 172K in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Gene, Was the 3.42 rear end you had put in from RPM a 2006 or newer version? The '04-07 V's ...
    cts-v ls6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Re: Tremec Transmission Freshened @ 172K

Gene,

Was the 3.42 rear end you had put in from RPM a 2006 or newer version? The '04-07 V's didn't have an automatic trans available and that's an auto trans ratio. Just wondering. I have an '06 rear in my '04V and would like that ratio for better mileage if it's available.

Thanks,

Jack

V-Guy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V, Raven/Ebony; Harley Fatboy; Harley Ultra-Classic

What a great story!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Sunshine View Post
    Can tell the car is getting close to 200K miles.

Had the transmission pop out of 2nd and 4th gears after a gear change a couple times. Wrote it off as laziness in not "planting" them. Then a couple weeks later the tranny popped 6th gear when cruise control was pushin up a hill. Started happening with more frequency until after another couple weeks 6th became unusable.

Called the guys at RPM Transmissions on a Friday. They did a Stage V rebuild and a LS7 package on the unit @ 100K when replacing a locked reverse gear. Drove the V up to their shop on a Tuesday, three weeks ago.

Planned on killing three days working from the hotel while they worked on it. Took it to the shop at 9 on Wednesday. Asked the guys if they could run me back and they asked, "Why? We'll be done with it after lunch.". I'm like "Yea. Right." but I decided to hang around. (These guys have an amazing array of corvettes, camaroes and GTO's in the shop at ALL times. NA, turboed, blown, juiced. You name it they work on it.)

Well the tranny was out and we were lookin at the damage before lunch. Sixth gear was almost smooth and it had damaged the main shaft and a fork (I think). Guess all those miles luggin around in 6th had finally taken their toll.

My bud says, "No problem. We've got the gear in stock and lookey here!" as he reaches into a bucket full of Tremec parts and pulls out a brand new main shaft left over from a recent custom job. "We're golden." We left to eat lunch.

I walked back out into the shop around 2:30 and they were moving the transmission back under the car to reinstall. Done by 3:30. DAUM! ($1700 incl parts/labor)

As an after thought (foretelling impending doom), earlier in the day I asked the guys up front to service the rear end while it was up in the air. This is the original rear that was rebuilt under warranty back at 40K. The mechanics didn't get the message until the were practically finished with reinstalling the trans. He pulled the plug to go ahead and drain it while he finished up front. And, you know it! The magnetic plug looks like a porcupine with all the shavings and pieces of springs sticking to it. The rear end innards are toast.

Well what we gonna do now? It gotta come out, so they finish the transission install and the rear end is on the table opened up before closing. The owner comes out to take a look and sure enough the housing's full of shrapnel, all the clutches are badly worn and there is only one spring left intact. Pretty hard to believe GM would intentionally buy/use junk like this.

Then the owner says, "Wait a sec. I think we've got something covered in dust back here that'll work.". He comes outta the darkest corner of the parts room with a box marked CTS-V 3.42 Open and sure enough it's a brand new rear end for a project that some customer had abandoned a coule years ago. So the owner offers to take the new housing, the 3.42's (I've been wanting these for a while) and my posi and put them together with some corvette clutch packs and custom springs thay have made for themselves. Then he also offers to take my old housing and use the open rear with my 3.73's and their special parts and build me a spare "for emergencies". How much? $500 bucks. SOLD!!!!

The rears were rebuilt, the new rear end installed and they picked me up in the car before lunch Thursday.

I can not say enough about RPM Transmissions. Besides being a well oiled organization (and just total GM gearheads) they are also just plain good folks. Everyone of them. If you EVER have transmission questions or need some work done I'd strongly recommend you give them a call.

Off now to see what happens when I try to do new engine mounts.......
    Wat a great story!!!

Black Sunshine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by cts-v ls6 View Post
    Gene,

Was the 3.42 rear end you had put in from RPM a 2006 or newer version? The '04-07 V's didn't have an automatic trans available and that's an auto trans ratio. Just wondering. I have an '06 rear in my '04V and would like that ratio for better mileage if it's available.

Thanks,

Jack
    It was a custom '06 open rear end that the 3.42's came from. Evidently, you can buy them to install.

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

I believe you can get the 3.42's limited slip out of an STS-V or also some V6 CTS's but most if not all will be open diffs if from a V6.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.