The definitive h&r / mm spacer lowering thread - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Like Tree4Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, The definitive h&r / mm spacer lowering thread in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; With OEM sized wheels and tires, you won't have any rubbing issues, even once your camber is brought back into ...
    WesH8398 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V
    With OEM sized wheels and tires, you won't have any rubbing issues, even once your camber is brought back into spec. The shop that did my alignment got me within OEM alignment specs, no problem. Just be aware that going with bigger rims and/or bigger/wider tires WILL introduce a whole new gamut of issues. Trailing arms and maybe a fender rolling should solve these though.

9t8z28 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Re: The definitive h&r / mm spacer lowering thread

I kept posting the wrong pics above! Got em right this time

WesH8398 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    I am also going to try and raise the front suspension slightly as well. I am going to see if I can make a 1/4" spacer to go in between the shock and the lower control arm and see what it does. My main concern is that it will be stable. That and a 40 Series tire on all 4 corners will help as well.
    Do you NEED to run lower profile tires for any reason? That'll contribute to poorer ride quality, no doubt. And the h&r springs aren't the coziest of rides to begin with.
    I'm no engineer, but I'm not sure that placing a spacer between where the bottom of the strut attaches to the lower control arm will affect your ride height. Maybe it will, but my simple brain is having a hard time with it. Something's telling me that you'd want to put the spacer between the bottom or top of the spring and the upper or lower spring perches... Actually, between that lower spring isolator and the lower perch looks like a perfect spot.

I want to go from a 245/45/18 Goodyear F1 to a 255/40/18 NITTO NT555. It will only decrease tire diameter by a 1/2" at the most. The front tires make contact with the inner fenders so the slightly smaller tire will help. I am not totally concerned about a slightly harsher ride.

Putting a spacer between the spring will increase ride height but it will also stiffen the spring and the worst part is it will take away the springs travel which will also take away the shocks travel. Spacing the shock from the lower control arm will increase ride height without affecting the spring. Like I said, I just have to make sure there is room and that it will be stable and not snap the bolt off. I have done this to my 4th Gen Camaro with the same style upper/lower control arm with a strut and it worked perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by WesH8398 View Post
    Do you NEED to run lower profile tires for any reason? That'll contribute to poorer ride quality, no doubt. And the h&r springs aren't the coziest of rides to begin with.
    I'm no engineer, but I'm not sure that placing a spacer between where the bottom of the strut attaches to the lower control arm will affect your ride height. Maybe it will, but my simple brain is having a hard time with it. Something's telling me that you'd want to put the spacer between the bottom or top of the spring and the upper or lower spring perches... Actually, between that lower spring isolator and the lower perch looks like a perfect spot.

I did the mod this past weekend. I used the 3/8" spacer on the bottom. It was a little bit of a pain to cut with a razor blade but it worked. I also reused the scrap piece and used it on the top. I pit it between the factory rubber and the spring. The car has been on the lift so when I put it back down on the floor it was over an inch higher! I didn't drive the car and I am sure it will settle some. The top spacer is probably not going to work as it only contacts only a portion of the spring.

EdmundGTP is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Id buy another piece for the top... That doesnt look like it will work well for very long..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.