The definitive h&r / mm spacer lowering thread - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, The definitive h&r / mm spacer lowering thread in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Sure.. All you have to do is cut a washer that fits in between the front strut spring perch, and ...
    EdmundGTP is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Re: The definitive h&r / mm spacer lowering thread

Sure.. All you have to do is cut a washer that fits in between the front strut spring perch, and the lower spring isolator. Where the red line is in this photo.

Doesn't necessarily have to be rubber either.

z28firefighteri1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Great, thanks for the input and picture, that helps a lot. Here's my car.

WesH8398 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by z28firefighteri1 View Post
    Great, thanks for the input and picture, that helps a lot. Here's my car.
    Wow, that front is pretty slammed! I think Edmund's right about the spacer. Cost effective and will do the trick quite easily. You'll probably just have to experiment with thicknesses until you're happy with the result.
    What size tire is that on the rear wheels? Looks wide...275? Also, it doesn't look like your rear is as low as Eibach's usually go. Are you sure they're Eibach's all around? Do you know if the auto-leveling (Nivomat) shocks were addressed with a spacer of some sort? If not, and if that picture was taken just after the car was driven around, then it looks high because your shocks pumped it back up to OEM ride height. Another consideration is maybe the guy that lowered it knew he needed the extra height in the rear to keep that size tire off the fenders, etc...

z28firefighteri1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Those are 275/40's on the back and that's how the back always looks it doesn't drop when it sits, as far as I was told it has Eibach's all the way around and the last owner said he did the MM spacers, I also noticed the fenders have been rolled. I don't know for sure yet, I've only had the car a week and you know how much it's been raining this past week in S FL, so I haven't had a chance to go threw everything to see exactly what has been done to the suspension. I'm hoping it stays dry this weekend so I can get into it and check it out.
    lowlife19 and lowlife19 like this.

GDPossehl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

So I installed my spacers yesterday...

Having read this thread beforehand I was aware of the concerns. After looking at this picture:

I realized... the spacer on top above the bushing was raising the shock that much more (3/4"?) than it was originally.

I did one side first and it's quite easy to see that the top of the shock stud is significantly higher than the 1" that it needed to move.

Instead, I kept the protective sleeve, put the spacer directly on top of that, then the bottom bushing, then the top plate, then the top bushing, and finally the flanged shock nut (and washers where needed).
    Basically, this:

I'll have actual pictures of it either tonight or tomorrow depending on when i get the chance to upload them.

I don't recall specifically how much the MM spacers were originally designed to raise the shock mount. It does raise it more than 1" though. I do believe the reason behind the creation of the MM spacers was that he WANTED to lower the rear MORE than 1 inch so it would make sense that it raises the shock mount location by more than that. So the fact that it raises the shock mount more than 1" doesn't necessarily mean that it's wrong though.. If you're installing H&R springs (assuming), they lower the rear of the car by way more than just 1 inch, so you'd want to raise the mounting point of the shock more than just 1 inch anyway.

I'm not sure if I'm following correctly because the pictures are small and hard to make out. Are you saying you moved the sleeve from the top side of the MM spacer top plate, to the underside of the MM spacer top plate? Is that red arrow thingy in the 2nd pic, indicating a location swap? If so, I don't think you'd run into any actual problems doing that. You may however end up compressing your shocks a bit too much, getting some induced auto-leveling, and the rear suspension quality may suffer.

If you're installing these, with H&R springs, and changing the sleeve location, I'd be curious to see where your rear ride height ends up at. Wheel center to fender peak, and ground to fender peak.

^^ Yes, that's correct on all counts.

I bought the car with H&R springs already installed on it. However, there were no MM spacers. It would pump up while driving and settle overnight.

I only had a chance to install one side yesterday (it took a little longer than expected as there don't seem to be install instructions anywhere I've looked and they sure didn't come with any). I was also working at my dads shop where there wasn't a computer available for reference, so I was working from memory of the reading and picture that I'd seen of them installed.

On the drive home the side installed (DS) seemed to take bumps a little better than the other side.

I can't foresee any problems with the spacers as they are now closer to their original position than they were Saturday. Even if they're not spaced quite enough, it's a significant improvement and I don't care to be any lower. I think it sits perfectly now.

What was the purpose of changing the MM spacer? Were you in the same boat as Edmund and I, thinking that the rear was too low with the h&r's? If so, changing the MM spacer isn't really your answer from what I've found. Changing the MM spacer won't change your ride height, but rather change when the auto leveling kicks in. Example (as I understand it): If the MM spacers raised the shock mounting location by 2" and the H&R's lowered you 2" (which is pretty close to what they actually do), then the auto leveling shocks would kick in as soon as the rear suspension is compressed (by weight in the trunk it rear seats). Now if the MM spacers only raised the shock mounting point by 1" and the H&R's gave you that same 2" drop, then your auto levelers would kick in as soon as you started driving your car, even without any extra weight in the trunk/rear seat, and would 'pump up' that 1" difference. Conversely, if the MM spacer raised your shock mounting point 2" and the H&R's only resulted in their advertised 1" drop, then the auto levelers wouldn't kick in until you had enough weight in your trunk/rear seat to compress the rear suspension MORE THAN that 1" difference. UP TO that 1", the auto levelers wouldn't kick in.

SO, moral of the story? If you wanna raise your rear ride height you need different (taller and/or stiffer) springs, OR do the 'Edmod' like Edmund and I did.

Did I get that right? lol Hope it made sense 'cause it took forever to type out on my iPhone. LOL

Got it. If I'm dissatisfied with the results I'll consider a rubber spacer.

Quote Originally Posted by GDPossehl View Post
    Got it. If I'm dissatisfied with the results I'll consider a rubber spacer.
    Does this mean that you are indeed trying to modify your ride height? If so, messing with the shock spacers isn't the right way to do so. You'll get inconsistent results, at best.

Not exactly. I'm going to play around with it a bit tonight and measure the fender with the shock mounted without spacers and then completely off.

I drove the car to work today with the spacer as I've described on the driver's side and the passenger side without a spacer. Bumps on the highway seem to be less harsh from the driver's side with the spacer in. It could all be in my head though. I need some more time to mess with it.

When you say "spacer" are you talking about the entire MM spacer assembly, or just part of the assembly?

I'm talking about the whole spacer.

I was in a bit of a time crunch last night and didnt have time to test out the different setups. I am, however, happier with the ride and it did appear to lower the car a little bit more. All is well with the spacer set up this way.

Hey Ed, do you think there'd be any issues with doing the same washer-type spacer up on top as well? I'm thinking of taking off the upper rubber 'cone mount', making another one of these washers to fit, then sandwiching the washer between the body and the cone mount. The preload of the springs should hold it there, or I'll get longer plastic push rivets to hold them in.
    My original edmod seems to have settled down a bit and I think I'm really playing with fire when I hit big bumps/dips at speed, in terms of tire to fender lip contact. Unfortunately my fender rolling attempts have failed thus far, as they sent me a 6 lug adapter that didn't fit my hub. He's sending me his original 4&5 lug adapter to try too, but I don't have much confidence that it's going to work. So I'd like a little more insurance in terms of height in the back for now. After all this, I should have just got the damn GC kit. LOL Hell, maybe I will...

I don't think that'd be an issue. I wouldn't go very thick with it though. Maybe .25" max. Both of those push rivets broke when I first installed the H&R's and I've been running without them for the past 9 months or so. Another thing you may want to try is adding a hose/sleeve type isolator to the bottom portion of the spring itself. Something like the Style E isolator at the bottom of this page. http://www.energysuspension.com/univ...isolators.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.