The definitive h&r / mm spacer lowering thread - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, The definitive h&r / mm spacer lowering thread in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Yeah.. There's nothing inherently "wrong" with the MM/H&R combo by itself. Like Wes said, the spacer is only a means ...
    EdmundGTP is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Re: The definitive h&r / mm spacer lowering thread

Yeah.. There's nothing inherently "wrong" with the MM/H&R combo by itself. Like Wes said, the spacer is only a means to adjust the height of the rear of the car. The MM/H&R combo by itself lowered the rear of my car about a half inch more than I wanted it to, so this spacer raised it back up to where I wanted it. I only showed pics of the front in my most recent picture post, to illustrate that when you raise the back of the car up by a half inch from the MM/H&R only combo, that the wheel gap becomes the same at both the front and rear wheels. I much prefer the look of a uniform wheel gap at all four corners, rather than some gap at the front wheels, and a slight tuck at the rear wheels. I did nothing at all to the front suspension because I liked, and still like, the height that the H&R springs left it at.

WesH8398 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V
    Hey Edmund... Have you noticed any 'settling' at all (spring sinking into rubber)? My 2 sheets came in today, so I'm looking forward to tossing these cut OEM's and getting my h&r's back in there.
    By the way, what'd you cut this stuff with? Utility knife do it?

Havent noticed any extra settling. When I first let the car down from up on jack stands the rear fenders were at 26.25 and after driving for a couple miles they dropped to 26.0 even. They're still at the same height after about 80 miles of driving. I don't really suspect they'll go down more but I'll keep an eye on them. Cutting the sheets is a bit of a trick. I used a really beefy pair of kitchen shears to cut the OD of mine and used a utility knife to cut out the centers. Cutting the centers will probably take a little trial and error to get just right, but you'll want to make the ID big enough so that it sits totally flat in the suspension arm, but fits snugly around that inner lip that sticks up. Basically cut it so it fits in the suspension arm like the picture I took shows. The nice thing about these pieces is that they don't have to be "pretty" by any stretch, and they'll work just as well with a ragged edge as a smooth one.

PrelateBishop is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

This is excellent news. EdmundGTP, you are to be commended for your ingenuity and follow-thru. Having read many a lengthy post on this issue, this clever workaround gives me just about all the confidence I need to move forward with this mod.

Thanks!!

This is excellent news. EdmundGTP, you are to be commended for your ingenuity and follow-thru. Having read many a lengthy post on this issue, this clever workaround gives me just about all the confidence I need to move forward with this mod.

Thanks!!

Just glad I can throw some useful experience and knowledge out there once in a while.

Agreed, thanks Edmund. I think I'm going to get these spacers in when I put my new trailing arms on. Hopefully that's sooner rather than later!

Yah, I'd like to hear how it works out for you when you get to it.

Couple more pics of the resulting "stance". Just because..

Quote Originally Posted by EdmundGTP View Post
    Couple more pics of the resulting "stance". Just because..
    Will you STOP making me want to spend money?!!

All joking aside, your car seriously looks sick. Mine is going to look nearly identical when I get the rear tail/reverse lights painted and the suspension work done.

By the way, you running the stock tire size?

For my own edification, reposting some of your pics.

BEFORE

AFTER

Tires are 255-40-18. Could easily fit 255-50-18.

THE 'EDMOD' IS OFFICIAL!!

I followed your lead today Edmund, and the results were PERFECT. I used the same 3/8" stuff that you linked above and it gave me that 1/2 inch extra height with the H&R springs. No more "reverse rake", no more tires biting fenders (still gonna roll 'em tho, just to be safe), and no more unstable rear end from the cut OEM springs. Oh, and the mighty mouse spacers are still doing their job spot on too. I put 250 lbs of sand bags in the trunk, drove around for 10 minutes, then stopped and hopped out to see real quick. The shocks were "pumped up" right to where they are with no weight in the trunk.
    While I was at it I got my MAP trailing arms installed too. I'm no longer 'driving on eggshells' as I have been for the last 3 weeks, and it feels GREAT!
    Thanks for the idea Edmund. I think s separate thread needs to be started for this mod, so it's easier for people to find. I'd be happy to supplement it with my own pics/info if you'd like too!

Glad it worked out for ya!

z28firefighteri1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I just got a 06 CTS-V last week and it has the Eibach springs in it, the front is to low for me and I haven't taken the front wheels off to look at the way the fronts put together. Do you think the same rubber washer idea would work for the front springs?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.