The definitive h&r / mm spacer lowering thread - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, The definitive h&r / mm spacer lowering thread in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; First of all, (going back a couple posts) I never claimed a 2" drop in the front. Go back and ...
    EdmundGTP is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Re: The definitive h&r / mm spacer lowering thread

First of all, (going back a couple posts) I never claimed a 2" drop in the front. Go back and read more carefully.
    The only measurements that I can count on or even comment on are my own and I have no experience with the Eibach springs.

Dan_Gurney is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 - CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by WesH8398 View Post
    I can't imagine that this guy measured correctly then...
    I can take pictures to show how i measured, i measured on my garage floor (fairly flat) from the ground to the highest peak of the wheelwell, with the tape measure running over the centercap on the wheel, to ensure it was perpendicular to the ground.

My car still has the stock runflats on it, that are about on the wear tabs, so if anything it would show less lowering with new tires.

If it helps too i am also a design engineer (seems to be something about engineers and fast gm cars...)

Looking at the other measurements i have a feeling that his car was lowered that much... why i do not know as that doesn't seem to be what the old norm was for H&R springs, but i don't doubt that he measured correctly.

Yeah, that's the same way I measured mine. I'm also on OEM sized tires which are worn down practically to the bars. Probably be a really close direct comparison. If you get a chance, run out there and give us an exact measurement on that [ground to highest lip point] to the nearest 1/16". I'm curious to see where yours ends up.

WesH8398 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by EdmundGTP View Post
    ... If you get a chance, run out there and give us an exact measurement on that [ground to highest lip point] to the nearest 1/16". I'm curious to see where yours ends up.
    +1

My new H&R's and MM spacers are to be delivered tomorrow, but I wont be installing them until the spring. Once I do, I'll be sure to chime back in here with the measurements I get too.

Dan_Gurney is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 - CTS-V

Here are the measurements from my car lowered with Eibach springs, and MIGHTYMOUSE spacers in the rear. this is on the factory tires that are worn to a hair above the wear markers
    From the ground to the center/highest part of the wheelwell
    FR: 26 1/8"
    FL: 26"
    RR: 27 1/16"
    RL: 26 7/8"

From the center of the wheel to the top of the wheelwell (rules out tires, but adds small guestimation of center of wheel)
    FR: 13 3/8"
    FL: 13 1/4"
    RR: 14 1/2"
    RL: 14 3/16"

The back is sitting high today, (looks and measurement wise) but i did just get the car back from the dealer where it was up on the stands for a little while, so i will remeasure in a few days to see where it sits, I know i have measured it a million times before and it had been consistantly at ~26.5 in the rear and ~26 in the front

Looks like your fronts are pretty much right in the same ballpark as mine. I checked them the other night and they were both at 26" from the floor. My rears seem to hover right around 25 5/8" Very interesting. I'll take wheel-center measurements when I get a chance.

Just went out and measured both of my fronts from wheel center to fender lip and they're both at 13 3/8".

All this is makin me wanna get at installing my H&R's ASAP. They just came in 2 days ago, along with a set of mightymouse spacers. Probably not the best idea with what's supposed to be a pretty harsh winter coming tho. It won't be easy but I'll let them sit on a shelf in the garage til spring. Might get a set of z06 end links while I'm waiting.

soulja is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Sedan 6MT, (Sold) 05 Maggie & 8.8 V1.

I just install a set of HR springs on my V last Saturday, and I can confirm. That the drop is definitely more than advertised. I have MM spacers also.

Ok... I know I said I was going to do this a while ago, but I finally got around to it today. Since the rear of the car sat a little bit too low for my liking I decided to try a method for shimming up the rear springs and boosting the rear ride height. Basically what I did was buy 2 sheets of 6" X 6" X 0.375" thick rubber sheets. Durometer Shore A 60. About as "hard" as the OEM spring isolators. From those sheets I cut 2 rubber washers that fit directly below the lower spring isolator at each of the rear wheels. Doing this increases the rear spring's "effective length" by 0.375", or the thickness of the rubber insert. Doing some rough estimating, I figured that a 0.375" increase in effective spring length would net me an approximate height increase of 0.5" at the wheel itself. So sure enough, I pulled the rear springs out, cut the washer shaped shims, reinstalled everything and both rear fender lips sit at a hair over 26.0" instead of their previous 25.5".

Nothing about the spring rate changes when doing this, so the ride itself doesn't change one bit. I'll have some pictures to post of the pieces I cut and where I put them. Based on how the OEM spring isolator fits into the lower suspension arm in the rear, I don't think I'd be comfortable making a shim any thicker than 0.375. There is an inner lip on the lower suspension arm that fits up into the inner diameter of the lower spring isolator, and this lip interface is basically what keeps the bottom part of the spring itself firmly located. With the 0.375" shim, there's still almost a quarter of an inch of that lip which protrudes into the inner diameter of the OEM spring isolator, ensuring that the bottom of the spring isn't going to be shifting around at all.

Exciting stuff for those of us who want to get a little height back from our H&R's without having to ride on cut OEM springs. I'm excited to see some pictures! Also, do you have a good (cheap) supplier for the rubber sheets?

The rubber sheet(s) I bought from McMaster Carr. Here is the link for the 0.375" thick one. http://www.mcmaster.com/#9013k842/=cx844f

So I took out the rear springs, and popped the lower spring isolators out of the lower suspension arms. Sat them down on the rubber sheets and traced the profile of them on to the new rubber.

Then cut out the resulting shape, which ends up being a washer with a outer diameter of 5.25" and an inner diameter of 3.25"
    Here's the cut piece of rubber sitting in the lower suspension arm. Notice the round inner lip of the suspension arm sticking up past the top surface of the rubber.

Then I stacked the original OEM spring isolator on top of that.

Here is the spring, reinstalled on top of both the OEM isolator and the shim rubber. You can just barely see the edge of the shim rubber beneath the spring isolator.

So here's how the back sits now.

Exact 26.0" to the peak of the fender.

One finger's width of space between the top surface of the tires tread face, and the bottom of the fender lip.

Same gap in the front.

Overall view..
    bcarv87, bcarv87, cam3439 and 2 others like this.

Awesome man, looks great! I think I'm going to order a couple of those sheets as well and do the same thing. One of these days I'll have all the "extras" done that these new wheels require. lol Just a fender rolling away after I do what you did here...

PrelateBishop is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by EdmundGTP View Post
    Ok... I know I said I was going to do this a while ago, but I finally got around to it today. Since the rear of the car sat a little bit too low for my liking I decided to try a method for shimming up the rear springs and boosting the rear ride height. Basically what I did was buy 2 sheets of 6" X 6" X 0.375" thick rubber sheets. Durometer Shore A 60. About as "hard" as the OEM spring isolators. From those sheets I cut 2 rubber washers that fit directly below the lower spring isolator at each of the rear wheels. Doing this increases the rear spring's "effective length" by 0.375", or the thickness of the rubber insert. Doing some rough estimating, I figured that a 0.375" increase in effective spring length would net me an approximate height increase of 0.5" at the wheel itself. So sure enough, I pulled the rear springs out, cut the washer shaped shims, reinstalled everything and both rear fender lips sit at a hair over 26.0" instead of their previous 25.5".

Nothing about the spring rate changes when doing this, so the ride itself doesn't change one bit. I'll have some pictures to post of the pieces I cut and where I put them. Based on how the OEM spring isolator fits into the lower suspension arm in the rear, I don't think I'd be comfortable making a shim any thicker than 0.375. There is an inner lip on the lower suspension arm that fits up into the inner diameter of the lower spring isolator, and this lip interface is basically what keeps the bottom part of the spring itself firmly located. With the 0.375" shim, there's still almost a quarter of an inch of that lip which protrudes into the inner diameter of the OEM spring isolator, ensuring that the bottom of the spring isn't going to be shifting around at all.
    So would you consider this the definitive "fix" for for lowering a V using this method (H&R + MM Spacers)?

Also, you stated that you performed this on the rear (pics make this obvious too), but show pics of the front too. did you add your custom rubber spacer to the front?

Thanks for all of your time and effort.

The rubber spacer is only a 'fix' if you feel that the h&r springs lowered the rear too much. It has nothing to do with the Nivomat self leveling shocks (MM spacers take care of those).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.