The definitive h&r / mm spacer lowering thread - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, The definitive h&r / mm spacer lowering thread in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; really appreciate you putting this post up for everyone....
    repenttokyo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Re: The definitive h&r / mm spacer lowering thread

really appreciate you putting this post up for everyone.

JCaddyV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Black 2005 CTS-V

best place to buy the H&R's?

EdmundGTP is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

I picked mine up from tire-rack when they had them in stock. They were pretty quick about shipping and the price was reasonable. I'd just keep an eye on their availability there and when they have a couple in stock, order away.

Just as a quick reference back to Post #13, I measured the ride height a couple more times over the past few days after driving the car and it seems like the measurements listed in that post are what the car has finally decided on settling at. All measurements taken since then have been the same within 1/16" of an inch. Still no bottoming out and no strange sounds. Towards the end of this week I'm going to re-check all of the nuts and bolts for the rear struts and the MM spacers to make sure I haven't lost torque on any of them. At that point I think I'll call the installation good and final. I still may experiment with raising the back end up a half inch or so but probably not any time soon.

SCIronMike is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by JCaddyV View Post
    best place to buy the H&R's?
    $278 + $15 shipping at www.shox.com. I haven't found a better price anywhere else.

SCIronMike is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V

Great thread. I love my H&R + MM setup. The car is REALLY low though. When I have passengers in the rear seats, something scrapes after hitting a bump in the road. I have to be REALLY careful about not scraping the front lip. Coming out of driveways, it is also really easy to scrape my exhaust tips. The car is LOW.

Great thread. I love my H&R + MM setup. The car is REALLY low though. When I have passengers in the rear seats
    , something scrapes after hitting a bump in the road. I have to be REALLY careful about not scraping the front lip. Coming out of driveways, it is also really easy to scrape my exhaust tips. The car is LOW.
    Indeed. It's a great setup, but it's definitely a good bit lower than I was initially expecting.

WesH8398 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

+1 Thanks for the write up and all the depth you went into.

Ever since September when I called eibach and h&r and found out that h&r was going to be shipping out a new batch of v springs, I've been keeping an eye on tirerack's stock levels. Yesterday their site and a phone rep said their counts show "less than 4" remaining in stock. Not wanting to get stuck with springs not being available for another unknown period of time, I decided to bite the bullet and put my order in. I also ordered a set of the mightymouse spacers.

I'm actually glad to read (and see) that these springs give more of a drop than advertised. Although over 2" seems like an awful lot, the pictures here clearly show that it's a very nice looking drop. Judging just by pictures and manufacturer's claims, it seems that both Eibach and H&R understated the achieved drops with their respective springs. In a strictly visual comparison Eibach's are definitely lower in the front than the H&R's. I think the rear is about the same though, but this could be affected by the spacers chosen.

Speaking of spacers, I have read a fair bit about the different spacers available for our cars and how they work. I find myself kind of confused as to why people are concerned about the effects of having weight (people, cargo) in the back seat or trunk. How I understand it, the mightymouse spacers do not defeat the Nivomat's auto leveling system, but rather trick the system into thinking that the lower ride height is it's "happy point". This leads me to believe that the auto leveling system will still function to bring the ride height back up to it's NEW "happy point" when you add a heavy load to the rear suspension. Am I wrong? Do the spacers actually defeat the auto leveling system all together? I really don't think so, but that's the only reason I can think of that has people concerned about adding a load to a mightymouse'd/lowered rear suspension. Otherwise, if bottoming out is a concern, the addition of a heavy load to the rear suspension really isn't a factor.

The spacers do not defeat the Nimovat auto leveling system. The concern when adding weight to the rear of the car (i.e. full trunk and full back seat) is that regardless of where the "happy point" of the height ends up being, the total shock travel distance when going over bumps is going to be greater when there's more weight in the car than when there's less. Basically, the ride height won't change, but the back of the car is going to have more up and down "bounce" movement. That's where the possible bottoming-out concern lies. I still have yet to drive my car with more than a single front passenger and or a mostly full trunk.

Dan_Gurney is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 - CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by WesH8398 View Post
    +1 Thanks for the write up and all the depth you went into.

Ever since September when I called eibach and h&r and found out that h&r was going to be shipping out a new batch of v springs, I've been keeping an eye on tirerack's stock levels. Yesterday their site and a phone rep said their counts show "less than 4" remaining in stock. Not wanting to get stuck with springs not being available for another unknown period of time, I decided to bite the bullet and put my order in. I also ordered a set of the mightymouse spacers.

I'm actually glad to read (and see) that these springs give more of a drop than advertised. Although over 2" seems like an awful lot, the pictures here clearly show that it's a very nice looking drop. Judging just by pictures and manufacturer's claims, it seems that both Eibach and H&R understated the achieved drops with their respective springs. In a strictly visual comparison Eibach's are definitely lower in the front than the H&R's. I think the rear is about the same though, but this could be affected by the spacers chosen.

Speaking of spacers, I have read a fair bit about the different spacers available for our cars and how they work. I find myself kind of confused as to why people are concerned about the effects of having weight (people, cargo) in the back seat or trunk. How I understand it, the mightymouse spacers do not defeat the Nivomat's auto leveling system, but rather trick the system into thinking that the lower ride height is it's "happy point". This leads me to believe that the auto leveling system will still function to bring the ride height back up to it's NEW "happy point" when you add a heavy load to the rear suspension. Am I wrong? Do the spacers actually defeat the auto leveling system all together? I really don't think so, but that's the only reason I can think of that has people concerned about adding a load to a mightymouse'd/lowered rear suspension. Otherwise, if bottoming out is a concern, the addition of a heavy load to the rear suspension really isn't a factor.
    My car has the Eibach springs, and the car is lowered almost exactly what they said, ~1.6" in the front and 1" in the rear (with MIGHTYMOUSE spacers)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Gurney View Post
    My car has the Eibach springs, and the car is lowered almost exactly what they said, ~1.6" in the front and 1" in the rear (with MIGHTYMOUSE spacers)
    Well the numbers somewhere are wrong - either the OP's measurements, or the spring manufacturer's. Since I've been thinking of getting springs for some time now, I've seen tonnes and tonnes of pictures people have posted of H&R or Eibach plus MM spacers. Compare pictures of V's on H&Rs and on Eibachs, and Eibach's DEFINITELY sit lower in the front than H&R's do. With that, the OP has stated more than a 2" drop in the front with H&R springs - so how does that jive with either manufacturer's claims? Know what I mean? Maybe they measure differently than the OP did, I don't know.

Dan_Gurney is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 - CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by WesH8398 View Post
    Well the numbers somewhere are wrong - either the OP's measurements, or the spring manufacturer's. Since I've been thinking of getting springs for some time now, I've seen tonnes and tonnes of pictures people have posted of H&R or Eibach plus MM spacers. Compare pictures of V's on H&Rs and on Eibachs, and Eibach's DEFINITELY sit lower in the front than H&R's do. With that, the OP has stated more than a 2" drop in the front with H&R springs - so how does that jive with either manufacturer's claims? Know what I mean? Maybe they measure differently than the OP did, I don't know.
    If you look earlier in this thread i had the same question, but based of his numbers from the ground to the center of his wheelwell, he did get that much drop, i don't know if there is something weird with his springs or, if this is how they are making them now, but it did seem like bigger numbers then we have seen before.

But his fronts still don't LOOK as low as V's pictured on Eibach springs. Maufacturer's numbers still seem wrong in both cases.

The manufacturer numbers for both are most likely incorrect. Being a design engineer by trade, I'm quite familiar with how to observe and record dimensional variations, and interpret them in a useful way. Though, that doesn't mean that I wasn't just as surprised as you guys when I took the before and after measurements. But in the end, the tape measure doesn't lie. Especially when I repeated my my measurements more times than I can count on both hands. The one thing I've picked up on during this is that trying to visualize or visually gauge the amount of drop a car has can be deceiving when judging by eye alone. Especially by eye, on a photograph, as opposed to up close in person with a ruler.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Gurney View Post
    I can't imagine that this guy measured correctly then...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.