Weight Reduction Checklist - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Weight Reduction Checklist in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; In the old days we used to replace all the side windows with plexiglass to save weight. I doubt that ...
    darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Weight Reduction Checklist

In the old days we used to replace all the side windows with plexiglass to save weight. I doubt that insurance companies, the DOT, or some local inspectors would be amused, but if you already ditched some of your airbags........

jclayc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Specre Werks (http://www.spectergtr.com/body-enhan...ts-body-enhanc) is who has the CF parts. I think I got the weight savings numbers from another post on the forum.

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Talk with Matt and dont forget to ask for the NAF hood...If you want i also started widened front fenders as a one piece also made from CF to save on weight.

I also cut 4" off my wheel tub and raised the diff cooler away from the road to keep it cooler....

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

Going Lazarus on this thread.
    Speculating on the results of my mods. Data from forum searches so take them with a grain of salt. Sound reasonable?

UUC 2 piece rotors stock = 25.8 UUC = 19............net loss 13.6lbs.
    Team Dynamics wheels TD = 21 stock = 25.8...........net loss 19.2lbs.
    Hoosier R6 tires R6 = 23 F1s = 29.................net loss 24.0lbs.
    Exedy twin clutch Exedy = 34 Dual Mass = 74..........net loss 40.0lbs.
    KW Variant dampers ??????????????????????..................net loss 30.0lbs.???? Any guesses?
    Kooks with hi flo cats Kooks = 16ea Stock = 29ea.............net loss 26.0lbs.

TOTAL NET LOSS 152.8 LBS
    FACTORY CURB WEIGHT 3850lbs. REVISED WEIGHT 3697lbs.
    (2011 BMW E92 M3 3704lbs.)

Extra bonus points for reductions in un-sprung weight and rotating mass
    CTS V Redline 05 . MOTOR-- Katech LS6 stage II H&C, Kooks 1 3/4, FAST102 w Nick W 102 TB, Corsa, Lingenfelter CAI, Stealth intake tube, UUC shifter,UUC motor, trans and diff mount. Exedy GT04SD Twin Disk clutch . Mocal oil cooler BRAKES/SUSPENSION-- UUC 2 pc. rotors, Hotchkiss sways, KW V3s coil overs, MAP trailing arms, SW cradle bushings and BMR toe rods, corner weighed. Team Dynamics ProRace wheels, 275/35/18 GAC Hoosier (track). Allston Rollbar, Sparco seats and Schroth harnesses.

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Any pictures of the seat setup?

That was NAF. He has a thread out there.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...but-not-3.html

I've been thinking about it but I'd like to see a seat swap in person.
    CTS V Redline 05 . MOTOR-- Katech LS6 stage II H&C, Kooks 1 3/4, FAST102 w Nick W 102 TB, Corsa, Lingenfelter CAI, Stealth intake tube, UUC shifter,UUC motor, trans and diff mount. Exedy GT04SD Twin Disk clutch . Mocal oil cooler BRAKES/SUSPENSION-- UUC 2 pc. rotors, Hotchkiss sways, KW V3s coil overs, MAP trailing arms, SW cradle bushings and BMR toe rods, corner weighed. Team Dynamics ProRace wheels, 275/35/18 GAC Hoosier (track). Allston Rollbar, Sparco seats and Schroth harnesses.

tweeter81 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by crankedupforit View Post
    Speculating on the results of my mods. Data from forum searches so take them with a grain of salt. Sound reasonable?

KW Variant dampers ??????????????????????..................net loss 30.0lbs.???? Any guesses?

TOTAL NET LOSS 152.8 LBS

That all sounds very reasonable to me. I know because I have done my homework on some of these weights as well, but most people wouldn't believe how much weight can be saved with the normal mods that people do on these cars. I figure with my mods, my V should be somewhere down around 3775 lbs (I'll show the itemized weight differences later) and I was definitely not trying to reduce weight.

To speak to something that was talked about earlier. I just had my rear seat out 2 weeks ago and I weighed it:

Seat Back = 45 lbs
    Seat Cushion = 14 lbs

Total = 59 lbs

If I run the car with a half of a tank of gas and shed another 50 lbs. I'll be at 3647lbs. Do the rear seat like Tweeter has weighed and your at 3588lbs. Now we're talking.

That's quite a bit less than a V2.

UnsafeAtAnySpd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero

I've been bad about weighing the individual parts of my car as I swap them out, but last weekend I weighed in at 3886 with myself and helmet in the car (so probably around 190 lbs there) with about 3/8s of a tank of gas.

soflarick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by crankedupforit View Post

TOTAL NET LOSS 152.8 LBS

You weighed the headers/cats and the stock parts? I didn't think there was much of a difference. I don't think the KW system is going to be that much lighter than the stock system. A PC925 battery is the smallest I'd be willing to go in such an electronically dependent car, and that is a savings of about 10 lbs.

The Corsa exhaust is heavier than the stock exhaust btw. The weights stated by the OP are extremely optimistic, and some would likely give an insurance company an excuse not to cover the driver in an accident. Was this thread started for a car that is for street driving or strictly off road? Trunk mounted battery is only going to increase weight and have a negligible effect on the handling characteristics of the car that anyone below an experienced track driver will feel.

c4ss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, Black

Paging Naf...

The two wild cards are the KWs and the Kooks. Here is the Kooks vs exh manifold thread. See post 6 and 7. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...s-headers.html
    The rest are fairly well substantiated in the product listings or from actual weights.
    The KWs are the biggest guess. The OP in this thread listed 30lbs. No idea where that came from. The springs do look smaller but I don't know the real difference. I'm going to do the swap in 2 weeks so maybe I'll weigh them up. The good news is if you can get a street / track car with a full interior and 400+ rwhp to come in under 3600 for track days, I think that's pretty good for a dual purpose fun car. Also factory curb weight varies from 3830-3850. Good point on the Corsa Richard. It's a popular mod. Any idea how much heavier it is? The battery is a tough decision on a street car with all the accessories we have to run.

soflarick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

I found out the Corsa was heavier from reading through various forums and making some calls to vendors, but I wasn't provided with empirical weight data. The stock mufflers and resonator were much lighter than I thought they'd be.

The PC925, or a variant of it, would handle the car's needs well. I would absolutely not go smaller. The PC925 weighs in around 25 lbs last I checked. I think I saw somewhere that the OEM battery is in the 30-ish pound range, I remember it was lighter than I expected, and decided a battery change was only worth the expense when the one in the car wears out.

The TD wheels are lighter than the accessory wheels are lighter than the OEM wheels. I posted weight comparisons of them all when I had them all to compare. I think the TD wheel with stock size RE11s weighs around 48 lbs, the accessory wheel with stock size Evos weighs around 3 lbs more, and the stock wheel with the Evos weighs another 3 lbs more than that, don't recall precisely. Most effective weight loss mods IMHO would be the clutch assembly, followed by either TD wheels and/or 2-piece fr/rr brake rotors. If the header/cat swap does drop that much weight, then it's a definite win/win. The KWs probably use 2.5" coilover springs, perhaps 10" in height? They probably weigh a couple pounds per side less than OEM springs.

Rotating and unsprung weight loss is the most effective place to spend money.

Just found something interesting on the Corsa. Manufacturer claims the Corsa is 12% lighter than stock. Stock is 70lbs as noted in this thread. See post #10.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...st-update.html

Here is the Corsa add for the V1.
    http://www.pfyc.com/pc/CT5002//Corsa....html#moreinfo

I, like you, was sure the Corsa was heavier. Turns out it's 10 lbs lighter. Pleasant surprise.

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Someone paged me?

Whats the question?

The Corsa weighs in at 30lb stock weighs in at 80lb

MINE weighs in at 15lb...Ti is too good to me...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.