Muffler Delete Soundclips - Before and After - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Muffler Delete Soundclips - Before and After in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by Fasciaguy This sounds like a great mod. Good winter project. Just wondered if anyone ever tried replacing ...
    JFensty is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Blk Cts-V

Re: Muffler Delete Soundclips - Before and After

Quote Originally Posted by Fasciaguy View Post
    This sounds like a great mod. Good winter project. Just wondered if anyone ever tried replacing the mufflers with a strait through resonator.
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding the description but are you using all the original rubber hangers or just the one before the muffler or some other combination? A cheap resonator may wipe out that drone and not change the tone much.

I worked in the exhaust industry on the OE side for 9 years and if someone has lots of time and extra cash the system will react like a trombone. Moving the Xpipe up stream or down stream will change what RPM range the drone is in. Thats all part of tuning the exhaust. back to the question about Hp gain. On most cars your Catalatic converters will rob the largest amount of HP anywhere from 6 to 12Hp and the mufflers and pipes can account for an additional 3 to 10hp. However thats your typical family sedan and these cars have been tuned to breath very well so yea I wouldnt expect much of a gain on a muffler delete. I used to run engine dyno's for Ford Motor Co. and actually found the 3.0l V6 ran a higher HP with 2" pipes than 2.25" pipes. Some back pressure can be a good thing. So bigger isnt always better. Well at least when it comes to exhaust pipes. Wish I owned lift and pipe bender it would be fun to play with a few options. I'm sure I can get a good sound for much less than $700.
    With your muffler delete done on your V as well, what are your thoughts now about reducing/removing the drone? Would a small inline resonator just before the tip fix the drone at highway speeds?

It doesn't bother me at all 1st-5th. But 6th gear from 45 - 65 under load (accelerating/uphill) really starts to get excessive. Especially if you are trying to talk or carry on a converstaion.

Other than that I do not regret doing this mod at all. I love the rumple from low speed, and WOT is phenomenal

PISNUOFF Guest

Try tack welding an exhaust cone inside one of the tips. That should take care of the drone.

Fasciaguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

Yea I would think a strait thru resonator will reduce the drone as it doesnt take much volume to cancel lots of noise at the far end of the exhaust system. Unlike the old muscle cars where the mufflers were under the seats of the car most new cars have their mufflers at the very rear. The pipes can cancel most of the higher pitched noise and the mufflers reduce the lower tones, like a drone. I havent had mine out on the highway yet but around town I know what your talking about. I was going to try some insulation (dynomat) on underside of the floor just above the pipes where the mufflers used to be. The good thing is adding a small resonator is easy enough if I decide to do that later.. If you do add one Jfensty post your results..

It almost seems to have gotten calmer since the orig delete. I know that's not necessarily possible. I probably have gotten used to it. Although I usually drive by myself and enjoy the "tune". I am looking around for a inexpensive resonator to try. No need to waste money if it ends up not working.

wcryan is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V Maggied

so I had my tips re-aligned for the 3rd time, because my first shop wasnt very reputable. Took it to a second shop for the last time, and they finally did it right. My catalytic converter went out and got a new one put under warranty. drove it home after that from the dealership and now the tips arent aligned again. Ugh, when does this stop?

Make sure the exhaust is tight at the converter.Loosen, jack the exhaust into place, then tighten. Also, did they spot weld the tips or totally weld them on? Seems they wouldn't keep shifting.

Noisycow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS-V

Did the muffler delete with the Summit tips just as the OP did. I really like it. Would actually like it louder, but neighbors might get cranky about it as well as attracting police attention.

The muffler shop charged the same - $100 and did a nice job, straight and clean work. As for drone, it is very mild compared to other cars I have owned.

SRTTOCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Haven t read through all the posts but has anyone did this with headers?

Quote Originally Posted by Fasciaguy View Post
    Yea I would think a strait thru resonator will reduce the drone as it doesnt take much volume to cancel lots of noise at the far end of the exhaust system. Unlike the old muscle cars where the mufflers were under the seats of the car most new cars have their mufflers at the very rear. The pipes can cancel most of the higher pitched noise and the mufflers reduce the lower tones, like a drone. I havent had mine out on the highway yet but around town I know what your talking about. I was going to try some insulation (dynomat) on underside of the floor just above the pipes where the mufflers used to be. The good thing is adding a small resonator is easy enough if I decide to do that later.. If you do add one Jfensty post your results..
    May be a retarded question but what about a resonated tip? I have seen a couple that look decent and are cheaper than a plain resonator. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.