Muffler Delete Soundclips - Before and After - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Muffler Delete Soundclips - Before and After in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; +1 to the above comment. I had the muffler delete done about 3 weeks ago. My installer tried talking me ...
    cmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V Raven

Re: Muffler Delete Soundclips - Before and After

+1 to the above comment. I had the muffler delete done about 3 weeks ago. My installer tried talking me out of it for about 10 minutes including trying to sell me a cat back magnaflow for $900. They said it would be extremely loud and I would be back to have them install the mufflers, I told them to go ahead and cut away and they couldn't believe how good it sounds. I did get the magnaflow tips but had them mounted so you have to get down low to notice they say magnaflow, they are about even with the inside edge of the bumper opening.

Cost was $70 for the tips from summit and $120 for the install including a tip for putting up with me standing over their shoulder to make sure they were exactly centered.

I agree with the drone from 1800 to 2000 rpms. That is my only concern at this time and I was wondering if dynamat in the trunk and under the rear seat would help eliminate it? Does anyone think that would help at all?

smbstyle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by cmiller View Post
    +1 to the above comment. I had the muffler delete done about 3 weeks ago. My installer tried talking me out of it for about 10 minutes including trying to sell me a cat back magnaflow for $900. They said it would be extremely loud and I would be back to have them install the mufflers, I told them to go ahead and cut away and they couldn't believe how good it sounds. I did get the magnaflow tips but had them mounted so you have to get down low to notice they say magnaflow, they are about even with the inside edge of the bumper opening.

Cost was $70 for the tips from summit and $120 for the install including a tip for putting up with me standing over their shoulder to make sure they were exactly centered.

I agree with the drone from 1800 to 2000 rpms. That is my only concern at this time and I was wondering if dynamat in the trunk and under the rear seat would help eliminate it? Does anyone think that would help at all?
    dynamat will help but not eliminate. Just drive faster so you are over 2000rpms or turn up the radio.

these sound even better with longtubes.. which i am strongly considering soon.

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    muffler delete sounds really good! Just make sure and keep your stock mufflers in case you want to go back. Took me a while to decide I wanted to put then back in, 6 months or so, but in the end I just couldn't stand the highway drone.

I enjoyed it though.. I think I got either a compliment our questions every time I pulled into a gas station ,i guess because people would hear it and realize its "that cadillac with the corvette engine".. No more since reinstalling

MikeV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 Redline CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by CadzillaTN View Post
    muffler delete sounds really good! Just make sure and keep your stock mufflers in case you want to go back. Took me a while to decide I wanted to put then back in, 6 months or so, but in the end I just couldn't stand the highway drone.

I enjoyed it though.. I think I got either a compliment our questions every time I pulled into a gas station ,i guess because people would hear it and realize its "that cadillac with the corvette engine".. No more since reinstalling
    I did a little further testing today and got some good highway miles in. It's interesting that if you're just barely on it part throttle there really is no drone but as soon as you step into it a little it starts. With the radio up it really didn't bother me but I think I will dynamat the trunk and back of the back seat area. I think the sound bouncing around in the empty spare tire well isn't helping.

Castro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

After a couple months I'm still very happy with this setup. I do get the same drone at the same rpm range but as other have said it's not bad (I rode in a prelude once many years ago... THAT was drone) and you just drive above or below that range when cruising, highway isn't bad. I've had a lot of compliments and even people wandering up asking what cam I have in it. The idle is really great you hear a lot more of the stock cam's mild lope.

Fasciaguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

This sounds like a great mod. Good winter project. Just wondered if anyone ever tried replacing the mufflers with a strait through resonator.
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding the description but are you using all the original rubber hangers or just the one before the muffler or some other combination? A cheap resonator may wipe out that drone and not change the tone much.

I worked in the exhaust industry on the OE side for 9 years and if someone has lots of time and extra cash the system will react like a trombone. Moving the Xpipe up stream or down stream will change what RPM range the drone is in. Thats all part of tuning the exhaust. back to the question about Hp gain. On most cars your Catalatic converters will rob the largest amount of HP anywhere from 6 to 12Hp and the mufflers and pipes can account for an additional 3 to 10hp. However thats your typical family sedan and these cars have been tuned to breath very well so yea I wouldnt expect much of a gain on a muffler delete. I used to run engine dyno's for Ford Motor Co. and actually found the 3.0l V6 ran a higher HP with 2" pipes than 2.25" pipes. Some back pressure can be a good thing. So bigger isnt always better. Well at least when it comes to exhaust pipes. Wish I owned lift and pipe bender it would be fun to play with a few options. I'm sure I can get a good sound for much less than $700.

JFensty is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Blk Cts-V

Def sounds awesome on the clips. Does anyone have any sound clips from inside? Idle, WOT, and at highway speed to show drone talked about. It interesting everyone's different opinion of how bad it is at highway speed.

MikeV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 Redline CTS-V

Sounds pretty awesome for a real cheap exhaust mod. Agree with the small resonator idea for the drone.

Noisycow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS-V

Big thanks! Just what I want. Just ordered the tips from Summit.

Noisycow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS-V

My Summit tips should be here tomorrow. I called a muffler shop by my house and the guy said 'why in the world would you want to cut off the mufflers on a Cadillac?' I was ready for that response and just said that is what I want, will you do it? He said for money he'll do just about anything. Cut out the mufflers, flatten my tires, run a key down the side - anything I want.

Found some Vibrant tips at local A & A auto parts store . PN# 1575 ,1578. Both slant cut double rolled for approx. 25.00

Hey on the bright tips guys, make sure you buy a stainless steel tip. The chrome plated ones will pit and rust quicker than you can go through a tank of gas.. Well at least the cheap ones will. There are some good chrome plated ones out there but they wont be cheap.

Yes those tips were stainless. Car is at the shop getting this mod now. Merry Christmas to ME!!

I'm off work for the Christmas break and was bored so took the car over to the local muffler shop just to see what they would charge me. I got the same reaction that seems to be common here. You want to take the mufflers off? I said yes it will be fine just trust me. So they cut them off added strait pipes and 3" chrome tips for $119 and had it done in about 15 min. I like it you can really hear the motor come alive with your foot in it and it is just about the same as stock at idle and cruising.
    When I put my LS7 clutch in though the insulation pad that's between the trans and floor/tunnel was pretty damaged as if maybe the previous owner had gone off-roading at some point, and tore it up so I trimmed off the excess. That excess happen to run directly above the exhaust pipes and made a noticable difference inside. So I have to add some dynomat material back along the trans. So I may just add some where the mufflers were and see how that sounds. But I'm glad I made the modification.. Yea no longer as quiet as most would expect from a Cadillac to be, but most Cadillac's dont run like a Vette either. So its somewhere in between..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.