10AN Oil Cooler set up
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, 10AN Oil Cooler set up in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Sorry I don't have all the pics quite yet. Set up is a Setrab with 10AN Aeroquip forged fittings and ...
    crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

10AN Oil Cooler set up

Sorry I don't have all the pics quite yet. Set up is a Setrab with 10AN Aeroquip forged fittings and Aeroquip Starlight Kevlar race quality hose. The only way to get a 10AN to fit was to go to a remote filter. Its located behind the front fender liner and is solid and protected. The lines run forward under all the plastic skid plate crap and then over to the filter then to the thermostat and then the cooler. You'll have to remove the drivers side wheel and the plastic liner to change the oil. This is no lazy mans set up for sure. I have some better pics coming in a few days that show the remote filter. The challenge was always the tight fit from the headers. Not much room for a sandwich plate and fittings under there. The filter by pass plate was all we could figure out. I spent over $200 on different sandwich plate and tried to make them fit (no way with 10AN). As a bonus, with this set up an Accusump is a breeze to hook up now. Just tap the return line with a one way valve and hook up the accumulator. Pretty straight forward since all the hard work is already done.

On the street while thrashing the car around for an hour or so, the oil temp never went over 195. I'm hoping I can hold the low 230' on the road course. Oil pressure is perfect. Can't tell any different from a "no cooler" set up.

I'll have some better pics from the lift later this week. I did these with a jack in my garage and didn't remove any plastic covers.

http://s879.photobucket.com/home/msu...cket/allalbums

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: 10AN Oil Cooler set up

Hmmm, all that work and you could have done exactly the same thing with LPE oil cooler adaptor.

I also routed the hoses in a creative way...I used the starlite hoses and perma-cool aluminum high flow oil cooler. Kept the oil filter in the same location, and it the pressure remained constant and temp much lower...Before my temps were 105c for the oil temp and 95-98c for water temp...

After thermostat and oil cooler, i dropped to 91c oil temp and 91c coolant temp. On the track my water only climbed to 95c and my oil temp 121c. Not bad when you think about it...

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Which headers do you have, Naf?
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Naf View Post
    Hmmm, all that work and you could have done exactly the same thing with LPE oil cooler adaptor.

Wrong Naf. LPE does not fit my Kooks headers.

Naf

Must be a tight fit...I would be careful of your wires then...

For me to get this to fit i had to remove my SW headers install everything and try fit the headers. If it did have adequet clearance, i took it all apart and tried tried again...

Quote Originally Posted by Naf View Post
    Must be a tight fit...I would be careful of your wires then...

For me to get this to fit i had to remove my SW headers install everything and try fit the headers. If it did have adequet clearance, i took it all apart and tried tried again...
    Hmmm.....all that work and you could have just done a remote filter.

Naf

In the end, i got my kit done as much as you did, except they didnt have to ask me everytime where the filter was when i did an oil change...

Now i have a remote filter due to my dry sump system...Am thinkin where i am goin to tuck that little guy now...

UnsafeAtAnySpd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero

Awesome! Price/parts list please.
    me needz oil cooler

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/a...otefilter1.jpg

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/a...motefilter.jpg

Here are a few pics of the remote filter mounting and the line hook up to the cooler. The spot behind the cover in the front fender well is cozy and clean. Location gives you some options for longer filters if necessary.

Spin on plate and remote filter mount is from Earl's

Lines and fittings are Aeroquip Starlight and forged 10AN

Inline thermostat is Mocal

Cooler is Mocal Matrix (several sizes available)

Stuff can be found all over the net.

serik is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts-v

if you want a esiear rout u can pick up a radiator from performance raidators about 190$ and they have bottom cooling core that has i belive 10an fittings with the cooler inside the rad thats sealed off so u can use the cooler or not use the cooler just would need to run lines thru to the rad from oil pan

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

I only see that on the 3.6 radiator, not the LS radiator. And I would be surprised if that was intended for use as an engine oil cooler; most OEM radiators with a built-in cooler like that are for tranny fluid. If that's the case, the actual cooler core inside the radiator probably is smaller tubing that would pose a significant restriction to oil flow.

Just wanted to bring this back up. Have you had any issues since with this set-up? I just put in an order for a Ron Davis radiator with built in oil cooler and am pretty sure I want to go the route you did. The radiator will have 10AN fittings for the oil cooler. What/where did you get the inline thermostat?

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=1226

No issues with Mocal stuff so far.

Cool. Thanks for the link. I've ordered from Pegasus quite a few times before. I think I'm going to go ahead and copy your setup. I like the remote filter location. While pulling the liner is a bit of a pain, once done, it looks like there's plenty of room to get a hold of the filter. Easier to manage in a garage and plenty of room for a longer filter. I'll have to look up the biggest Amsoil filter that can fit there (I'm a dealer). How much more oil capacity did you gain with your set-up? This may sound like a stupid question, but how do you go about filling/draining? Fill, get up to temp and refill again?

I'm sick of the stupid oil temp slowing me down, so looking forward to finishing up this project. I broke my humerus in half though, so doing things one handed is kind of a pain...

A few more shots of the inner fender mount.

You never get every drop of oil out but you probably don't let it go to long anyway.

It's just like you described. You need to keep checking and top off. The additional capacity is way less than a quart.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.