Mallet shifter; it doesn't get much better!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Mallet shifter; it doesn't get much better! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I installed the Mallett shifter today along with the B&B X-pipe exhaust (I love my X-pipe) and what a difference ...
    Geno is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Orginal owner; 2004 CTS-V

Mallet shifter; it doesn't get much better!

I installed the Mallett shifter today along with the B&B X-pipe exhaust (I love my X-pipe) and what a difference that shifter made to the driving experience. It's taken this car to another level. Where once there were vague gates with a rubbery feel, where going through the shifts felt like stirring a spoon in a big bowl of jello, there are now crisp, clean shifts. I've even had the new experience of finding fifth gear. If anything, those driver who want their "V" to sound like a proper Caddy will not like the audible clicks as this thing slides smartly into each gear. Thanks Mallett.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

joshdctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 300c SRT-8

Re: Mallet shifter; it doesn't get much better!

Ive seen mixed reviews posted so far. I'm not sure if I should go for Mallet or wait for others. Good to hear you like it though. How hard was the install?

Quote Originally Posted by joshdctsv
    Ive seen mixed reviews posted so far. I'm not sure if I should go for Mallet or wait for others. Good to hear you like it though. How hard was the install?
    I must confess my brother (who is in the auto biz) assisted me with the install. The instruction for the installation can be found on http://www.cadillacfaq.com/. Though the instructions are quite clear, I'm glad I had his help as there is not a lot of room to work with removing the clips at the end of the shift rods. It seems like the best of technician can easily snake into places where I would find myself @$%!ing.
    The end result was very satisfactory to me. In my humble opinion, someone saying there was not much difference between the stock shifter and the Mallett, would probably say there isn't much difference between the stock exhaust and the x-piped B&B's.

Caveat: It ain't cheap. If you want to wait you'll probably get something at a better price, but I don't think it will be much better relative to performance.

CTSV_Scott is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I had mined installed week before last... Do you have a significant increase in transmission noise? I have varying levels of transmission noise in almost every gear, especially in 2nd. And I also have a high-pitch wine in 6th gear around 80 that's head splitting.

The place I had it installed said there was no way to adjust the unit. I called Mallett and they're sending me sound insultation to install on and around the shifter.

But other than the new noises, I love the shifter! It's a definite improvement over the stock unit.

wildwhl is offline Cadillac Owners Master

I'll agree on the noise the shifter transfers into the cabin - but there's no way around it with the aluminum bushings as Mallett has designed. The noise can be cut down to some degree with the addition of sound insulation.

I think the shifter works quite well, however, I like my modified stocker better. I know this comment is worthless since I haven't finished the final version and corresponding installation, but for those of you who don't want to shell out the cash for the Mallett version right now just hang tight. I'll get it done soon enough, and you'll be able to have a great shifter for essentially free.

CTSV_Scott is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by wildwhl
    I'll get it done soon enough, and you'll be able to have a great shifter for essentially free.
    Wished I had been more patient!

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Geno
    but I don't think it will be much better relative to performance.
    Based on what I've seen/heard so far I would have to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by CTSV_Scott
    I had mined installed week before last... Do you have a significant increase in transmission noise? I have varying levels of transmission noise in almost every gear, especially in 2nd. And I also have a high-pitch wine in 6th gear around 80 that's head splitting.
    This must be a common trait, as I have the very same symtoms. I personally have no problems with the noise (even driven or heard the noises in about any touring Ferrari from the sixties) and rather like it (I use my radio less now just to enjoy the ambiance). I can understand that it would bother most individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by benjet
    Based on what I've seen/heard so far I would have to disagree.
    benjet, I guess if your referring to improvements they can make relative to sound isolation, you are correct the performance can be improve. The responsiveness of the shifter is in my opinion, very crisp and deliberate. I don't know how that can be improved by much. I definitely think the same improvements can be done for a lower price point and hopefully WILDWHL development goes as planned, as competition benefits us all.

wildwhl is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Just to be clear, I don't intend to "compete" with Mallett or others - but would rather offer a simple how-to for those that like to DIY their mods. The throws CAN and HAVE been improved on my unit, not just a shortened handle. That along with better noise will hopefully provide those that don't want to spend the ca$$$h another, less expense, simpler option, that will also allow some adjustment in areas like, throw, shift knob height and angle, and potentially the addition of a non-stock shift knob if one should desire.

The Mallett shifter is quite a HUGE improvement from stock, I do admit. But I just can't leave well enough alone, ask any one of my wive's, past or present

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.