Best "Bang-for-your-Buck" Road Course Mods? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Best "Bang-for-your-Buck" Road Course Mods? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I did my first autox last weekend and what tips would you guys recommend? I would imagine a full road ...
    liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

Re: Best "Bang-for-your-Buck" Road Course Mods?

I did my first autox last weekend and what tips would you guys recommend? I would imagine a full road course setup wouldnt work as well in the tiny areas and slower speeds of an autox.

so far ive done drag and autox, i need to find a full on race track to hit.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by crankedupforit View Post
    If you're fast and a late hard braker (like AAIIIC has a reputation for) you probably would notice something.
    According to the Tempilaq paint on my rotors this weekend, my front rotors were >1250F. Guess I need bigger brake ducts.

Quote Originally Posted by liqidvenom View Post
    I did my first autox last weekend and what tips would you guys recommend? I would imagine a full road course setup wouldnt work as well in the tiny areas and slower speeds of an autox.
    I honestly would just modify the car to make it fun to drive, rather than trying to focus mods on auto-x. The car is just too heavy to be competitive (unless you're running with a group of drivers who aren't very good).

so far ive done drag and autox, i need to find a full on race track to hit.
    Where are you located? There are tracks all over the country - it's just a matter of figuring out which clubs are running events on the tracks that you can get to.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

I am located in north jersey, i thought i met you and your gf before? i might be wrong.

yeah the car is really heavy on such a small track, like a bull in an elevator filled with china. but even though the car isnt good at it doesnt mean i wont go and do my best. what club do you run with at your track events?

I am located in north jersey, i thought i met you and your gf before? i might be wrong.
    We may have met if you came to V Day 4, but not in NJ.

yeah the car is really heavy on such a small track, like a bull in an elevator filled with china. but even though the car isnt good at it doesnt mean i wont go and do my best.
    Don't get me wrong, it's still good driving training. My point is just that the SCCA Solo rules limit the mods that are legal. Since the car won't be competitive, don't modify the car to comply with the SCCA rules. Instead, modify the car as you want it to be, then run in whatever class that happens to put you in and have fun.

what club do you run with at your track events?
    This year I've run with Chin Motorsports, the Potomac-Chesapeake Chapter of Audi Owners Club, the National Capitol Chapter of BMWCCA, Lindsay Cadillac, MazdaDrivers, TrackDaze, and the Greater Washington Section of the Mercedes-Benz Club of America. In addition to checking those individual websites for updates as the 2011 dates start to become available, keep an eye on this site, which is a pretty good one with their Calendar. The 2011 schedule should start to take shape in the next couple months.

Depending on how far you're willing to drive, from northern NJ your "home" tracks would probably be the NJ Motorsports Park tracks (Thunderbolt and Lightning). Monticello and Lime Rock should also be relatively close, but it seems like 2 day events at those tracks are rare (I find 1 day events kind of annoying, since there's quite a bit of prep work and post-event work I go through). Summit Point and Watkins Glen are about 4-5hr, BeaveRun in PA would be about 6hr or so, and VIR would probably be 8hr.

yeah i got you confused with a v that is local to here. i think i need to get rid of the body roll this car has and find some more rubber or grip out of the chassis. the autox really showed that in its current state it just pushes through corners. some might be the setup and my driving but i dunno. Im just looking to learn and enjoy this car for what its worth.

yooper is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV and Caddy powered Chevy

subscribing

TroyFleming is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Not really a bang for buck immediately but in long run it is if you plan to track it by far Penske coilovers. Initial cost is high, but in end you will save alot of money compared with consistently trying to find a replacement used stocker one. At some point there won't be any used ones availible and GM only sells in sets of four now. While Penske's are fully adjustable and rebuildable over and over.

what do they cost? are these the ones with a reservoir for oil?

lunarx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Mallett 427 CTS-V, 10 E63 AMG

Who sells the Penske Coilovers?

It may have been mentioned but be sure to flush your Stock Power Steering Fluid with Redline PS Fluid.

smbstyle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

yeah i got you confused with a v that is local to here. i think i need to get rid of the body roll this car has and find some more rubber or grip out of the chassis. the autox really showed that in its current state it just pushes through corners. some might be the setup and my driving but i dunno. Im just looking to learn and enjoy this car for what its worth.
    pushing usually means your coming into the corner a bit too hot. I did the same thing; these things carry a lot of momentum, and it hard to get a street tire to turn these boats in a hard corner when carrying a lot of speed. what I do is brake a bit early so I can take the turn smoothly, dont worry about carrying momentum b/c you have the torque to help you build the speed back up.

one thing too is that when you reduce the body roll, such as springs, shocks, sway bars, etc., this can make the pushing worse; at least it did with mine. You can help this with a bit more negative camber. IMO the body roll was easier to handle versus the understeer.

Quote Originally Posted by smbstyle View Post
    one thing too is that when you reduce the body roll, such as springs, shocks, sway bars, etc., without understanding and/or paying attention to the changes in wheel rate at each end of the car you can make the pushing worse; at least it did with mine.
    Added some clarification for you. Reducing the body roll won't inherently make the car understeer more (or less, for that matter).

Quote Originally Posted by smbstyle View Post
    pushing usually means your coming into the corner a bit too hot. I did the same thing; these things carry a lot of momentum, and it hard to get a street tire to turn these boats in a hard corner when carrying a lot of speed. what I do is brake a bit early so I can take the turn smoothly, dont worry about carrying momentum b/c you have the torque to help you build the speed back up.

one thing too is that when you reduce the body roll, such as springs, shocks, sway bars, etc., this can make the pushing worse; at least it did with mine. You can help this with a bit more negative camber. IMO the body roll was easier to handle versus the understeer.
    this really might be what i was doing out there. im going to try a slow in approach and see if it helps next season. I was still in my fwd car mode where i needed to keep it wound up decently through the corner.

v-sam is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Carbotech Brake Pads and Castrol SRF brake fluid made a huge difference for the least amount of money. The Castrol is $80 a bottle some might take issue with that, but it's the best fluid and pads I have ever used!
    2005 CTS-V:Ground Control 650/700|FG2|Corsa|UUC Shifter and Shift Knob, Brake Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|Eibach Sway Bars|Kooks 1.75 Coated and High Flow Cats|Upper Control Arms|Front and Rear Strut Brace|Power Steering Cooler|Oil Cooler|LED Lights|ARP Wheel Studs|Corner Weighted|Stealth V Tune

PISNUOFF Guest

I run Carbotech's and Castrol SRF also. Expensive, but super nice.

Which Carbotechs are you guys running?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.