Best "Bang-for-your-Buck" Road Course Mods? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Best "Bang-for-your-Buck" Road Course Mods? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by kirchbed What would you need to do to get into TTB? I would have to drop down ...
    tweeter81 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Re: Best "Bang-for-your-Buck" Road Course Mods?

Quote Originally Posted by kirchbed View Post
    What would you need to do to get into TTB?
    I would have to drop down in tire size (my 295 rears really hose the classing as I have to add like 7 points or something because of the increase in size from the stock 245s) and probably would have to remove the coilover kit or the swaybars too. I need to look at the sheet again, but maybe I could sneak into TTB with dropping down to 245s all around, but that doesn't sound like a good plan...

The problem is that our cars start in TTC**, which is basically one mod from being in TTB, and with all my other mods (mostly suspension and now aftermarket axles and clutch as well), I end up in TTA. I am thinking that possibly they would allow my car to be classed down because I am nowhere near the weight to power ratio that the TTA cars have. Based on my car's weight, maybe I could work something out with the race officials.

If I would have to stay in TTA, I will need to upgrade to some high-points sticky slicks, and put a big-ass airfoil on the back like V-sam for the added rear downforce that I am going to need because of the Heat Extractor hood (which should reduce lift on the nose, basically the same as increasing downforce).

To the OP: Sorry about the threadjack, I just love these road course threads!!!

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

Have you guys read any of the Stop Tech articles on brakes? Unless you have a reason to change brake bias, you should replace front and rear pads with the same compound. People say the rears are used less, so why use as aggressive a pad? Because as the pad heats up the friction coefficient changes and will change the bias GM has engineered into the car.

And while we're on brakes, how are the stock pads? I'd assume like any car, even the best performance cars, you would want a set of track pads. But are the stockers good enough for a lap or two? Is dust the only reason to scrap the stock pads for street use? I've read that Hawk HPS is actually a step down from stock (whereas it's an upgrade on many other cars), though the dust is significantly reduced. How does the HP+ compare to stock?

kirchbed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Tweeter, yes - we threadjacked this. I'm interested in road racing too. Sounds like you're looking at SCCA. I think NASA does allow for power/weight ratio. Interesting post. Thanks.

Kevm14 - you're right, the HPS pads are a step down from stock and considerably so. The stock pads can do many track days + regular driving. I did 3 hard track days and a full year of regular though VERY spirited driving between them on my stock pads and they are still good. I upgraded recently to HP+ on the fronts (with a SS brake line & fluid upgrade), but have kept the stockers for spares (they are still in good shape). The HP+ are much more 'crisp' in street driving and I feel they are much harder biting on the track. They do dust more, but so what... I wash the car every two weeks.

UnsafeAtAnySpd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero

Tweeter, yes - we threadjacked this. I'm interested in road racing too. Sounds like you're looking at SCCA. I think NASA does allow for power/weight ratio. Interesting post. Thanks.

He's talking about NASA TT. It's a points based system until you get up into TTR/S/U then it's strictly power/weight.

Tweeter, I'm pretty sure both the clutch/flywheel and axles are free mods. I think if you drop the tire size down, you'd be in B from what I remember about your mods. Right now, I'm only 8 points into TTB.

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

Kevm14 - you're right, the HPS pads are a step down from stock and considerably so. The stock pads can do many track days + regular driving. I did 3 hard track days and a full year of regular though VERY spirited driving between them on my stock pads and they are still good. I upgraded recently to HP+ on the fronts (with a SS brake line & fluid upgrade), but have kept the stockers for spares (they are still in good shape). The HP+ are much more 'crisp' in street driving and I feel they are much harder biting on the track. They do dust more, but so what... I wash the car every two weeks.
    Are HP+ totally ridiculous to run as a street pad, with spirited driving of course? I guess I'm trying to plan ahead from when these HPS's wear out. I had settled on stock but am open to whatever.

UnsafeAtAnySpd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero

HP+ is good on the street. They do dust pretty bad though.

kirchbed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by kevm14 View Post
    Are HP+ totally ridiculous to run as a street pad, with spirited driving of course? I guess I'm trying to plan ahead from when these HPS's wear out. I had settled on stock but am open to whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd View Post
    HP+ is good on the street. They do dust pretty bad though.
    Yep, totally fine for the street. FWIW, I think Hawk classifies the HP+ as street/strip; their higher perf DTC-## line is classified track only.

I have also run the HP+ on the street and love them, but I have to warn you...they squeak like a bitch. Mine didn't make much noise at all until I used them on a full lapping day and beat the heck out of them. Now they squeak badly on the street, especially if I go a little while between car washes and the dust is allowed to build up, that makes it worse. But then, after a car wash, they don't squeak for a few days. I think the trade off for such great braking is worth it though.

Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd View Post
    He's talking about NASA TT. It's a points based system until you get up into TTR/S/U then it's strictly power/weight.

Tweeter, I'm pretty sure both the clutch/flywheel and axles are free mods. I think if you drop the tire size down, you'd be in B from what I remember about your mods. Right now, I'm only 8 points into TTB.
    Yep. That is right. I will scan and upload my classing sheet and let you guys take a look at it (maybe I will start another thread for that).

Jasonv8z is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04' CTS-V

A little off topic, but how about renting a Mini, Mustang, Miata or some other less capable car for your first track day. I've heard people say a slower car will make you a better driver at track days as they force you to drive smoothly rather than just use power, and you are more willing to explore the car's limits.

Considering the wear and tear on the vehicle, it will be the cheapest option, and who doesn't have fun beating on a rental?

jerrycecco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

has anyone corner balanced with V?
    do you recall the results? (weight per corner?)

I think this would help in track days.

jerrycecco@gmail.com

Rollbar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04- V with 6.2 L

Replace front endlinks and improve brakes.My endlinks (2004)popped loose after 15 min. at track.
    No-slip rubber shelf liner(auto parts store)in your seat will help keep you in place.

jerrycecco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonv8z View Post
    A little off topic, but how about renting a Mini, Mustang, Miata or some other less capable car for your first track day. I've heard people say a slower car will make you a better driver at track days as they force you to drive smoothly rather than just use power, and you are more willing to explore the car's limits.

Considering the wear and tear on the vehicle, it will be the cheapest option, and who doesn't have fun beating on a rental?
    Jasonv8z,
    can I rent your V for a weekend?
    ...I need to....pick up my grand mother...

LOL

--Jerry

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by kevm14 View Post
    Have you guys read any of the Stop Tech articles on brakes? Unless you have a reason to change brake bias, you should replace front and rear pads with the same compound.
    The problem with that theory is that the rear brakes may not be getting enough heat in them to make the more aggressive pad compounds work optimally. Track duty pads need to get up to temperature, otherwise their coefficient of friction isn't as high, and they may also chew up your rotors if they're too cold.

I'm too lazy to go see what StopTech has to say about that.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

I once drove HP+ in front and stockers in the rear for a few track days. On the street they seemed fine. On the track the rear end would get squirrelly under real hard threshold braking. How that mixed bag setup works out has a lot to do with your driving style would be my guess. If you're fast and a late hard braker (like AAIIIC has a reputation for) you probably would notice something. Although Pat says he never notices anything if you ask him. If you are a bit more conservative you may not sense it. I have however seen Raybestos recommend a bit lower friction pad on the ST series set up for one application they have.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.