Best "Bang-for-your-Buck" Road Course Mods? - Page 2
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 112
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Best "Bang-for-your-Buck" Road Course Mods? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by smbstyle Ground Control Coilover conversion kit (unless someone can give better feedback on the H&R springs). I ...
  1. #16
    Twitch's Avatar
    Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,992

    Re: Best "Bang-for-your-Buck" Road Course Mods?

    Quote Originally Posted by smbstyle View Post
    Ground Control Coilover conversion kit (unless someone can give better feedback on the H&R springs). I just dont see myself adjusting the ride height all the time....

    It's not so much about changing height all the time. It's about getting it the way you want, instead of however it is out the box. Different tires need different clearance. And if you want to change spring rate down the road, they're about $75 a pair.
    I know money is tight when you have a list of things to get. But we're talking about track time, not getting something for the looks and learning to deal with it as it is.

  2. #17
    BigDz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    55
    Posts
    4

    Re: Best "Bang-for-your-Buck" Road Course Mods?

    I've been driving in HPDE for 15 years, spent $30k on mods (many of which did not lower my times a lot) for my 944Turbo and have taught HPDE for the Audi club for 7 years. The most important mods are :
    1: a harness
    2: Good brakes
    3: working with an instructor.
    Not necessarily in this order, but they are all low cost and should be used together.

  3. #18
    rjoffe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,583

    Re: Best "Bang-for-your-Buck" Road Course Mods?

    The pads on this car are so easy to replace that you can easily go for a track set of pads only.

    If you go with Ground Control and lower your ride, you will have to worry about the End Links for the sways, the stockers will be too long, search on the forum for a few different solutions.

    I agree with some others, in that I like both Hotchkis front and rear. Again this is an easy enough swap that you can try it out for yourself.

  4. #19
    rjoffe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,583

    Re: Best "Bang-for-your-Buck" Road Course Mods?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDz View Post
    1: a harness
    Umm, there is no good safe solution for a harness in this vehicle without major mods (rollcage)

  5. #20
    tweeter81's Avatar
    tweeter81 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Gillette, WY
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,622

    Re: Best "Bang-for-your-Buck" Road Course Mods?

    Quote Originally Posted by smbstyle View Post
    how big of a difference did you notice with the hotchkis front/rear sway bars?
    smb, I did the FG2 shocks, the Hotchkis swaybars, and the GC Coilover Kit all at the same time, so I can't tell you how much difference each component made. But afterward, the car feels like it sticks like glue. It's a HUGE improvement.

    Quote Originally Posted by kirchbed View Post
    Pat -

    Do you have the GCs? If so, what spring rates front/rear? If not, do you know the recommended f/r rates for our car?
    I have run the 600 front / 650 rear combo for awhile and really liked it, but with that combo I was still getting some body roll in the rear and my 295s were rubbing. So, I decided to up the ante and use 750 lb/in front and 800 lb/in rear and it seems to work even better. I have only used that setup on the track once so far, but I was pleased with it. Another thing to keep in mind: if you have the FE4 (stock) shocks, you probably should stay with a max of 500/550 spring rates, as that will match up to the softer FE4s. If you have FG2s (if you don't, you should) then you can go much higher on your spring rates.

    Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd View Post
    On my car at the track:
    -BMR front STB, rear STB (I don't know if they help in a perceivable way, but they probably do help)
    -Hawk DTC-70 f/r (HP+ plus is a good street/track pad, but if you're going to swap at the track anyway. Also, HP+s don't last long for me anymore. Ate my last set up in I believe two track days and a month of driving.)
    -SS lines (improve pedal feel)
    -UUC 2-piece rotors (I noticed a difference in turn in even on the street, but may've been placebo)
    -Motul RBF 600 fluid (I've boiled other DOT 4 fluid)
    -TiSpeed shims (They help with temps and I can get you 10% off if you're interested)
    -R comp tires (they really aren't too expensive if you can find a set of take-offs or closeouts and they make a world of difference. I currently run Kumhos but am about to pick up 3 sets of R6s with 60% tread left for $540 total.)
    -Headers/hi flow cats (great for the track and street )
    -UUC shifter (I can't remember what it felt like before this, but remember it sucked)
    -CG Lock (This is a great mod, although I feel like it's not enough anymore...)
    -and a bunch more of things to come...
    Listen to unsafe, I have seen him drive and he really knows what he is doing. He is super hard on brakes, but with our sweet stock setup and the few mods he has done, he can push those brakes far beyond what you would think possible on the track. I have a lot of the same mods and totally agree with this list.

    Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post

    What spring rates are you running? I know some of you are running higher spring rates in the rear, which will reduce understeer. I would guess if the car feels neutral to you and you're running staggered tires that you must have stiffer springs in the rear. I chose to stick with the same rate front and rear, which may have been a mistake. I may go to a higher rate in the rear at some point.
    750 front / 800 rear (Eibachs - but I need to be able to lower the car more in the rear for car shows, so I am going to order up some swift springs for the rear in a 9" tall spring (as opposed to the 10" Eibach) so I can get that extra 1" lower when I want it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Gurney View Post
    Do you guys run these front and rear, or just front?
    I only run the TiSpeed shims in the front at the moment, but next time I am ordering some mods, I think I will go ahead and order rear too. It can't hurt to have them on the rear too, but I do think the front makes the most difference.

  6. #21
    PISNUOFF Guest

    Re: Best "Bang-for-your-Buck" Road Course Mods?

    If you've never tracked your car before, just go with SS brake lines and upgraded pads/rotors/fluids. After a year of tracking, you'll understand what else you should do.

  7. #22
    smbstyle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Age
    28
    Posts
    181

    Re: Best "Bang-for-your-Buck" Road Course Mods?

    Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    If you've never tracked your car before, just go with SS brake lines and upgraded pads/rotors/fluids. After a year of tracking, you'll understand what else you should do.

    good call. after reading what everyone is saying, I'm going to get used to the car first with majority stock components (except SS lines, fluid and pads).

    Also, I think I'll wait to do the GC Coilover setup until I can get the FG2 shocks, which seems like will make a big improvement with the coilovers.

    For now, the only thing I'll be ordering is the Hawk DTC pads and CG lock, oh, and a GoPro for the track!

  8. #23
    wmskateteam is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    49

    Re: Best "Bang-for-your-Buck" Road Course Mods?

    hey smb, i tried to send a PM but apparently don't have enough posts to do so. What club are you running with at sebring? i recently picked up a v1 and can't wait to track it. i had some recent surgery so i don't know if i'll be ready by november but if you're going out another time i'm down. i would like to see another v at the track, i've personally never seen one at a HPDE event. i've been to sebring a few times with a friend, but never had a chance to run the course myself.

  9. #24
    jerrycecco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    469

    Re: Best "Bang-for-your-Buck" Road Course Mods?

    My list:
    Hotchkis Sways
    HP+ pads (HP+ Front; OEM Rear)
    Rear Strut Bar.., me to
    Titanium Pad Shims
    CG lock
    SS Brake lines
    Motul brake fluid
    Dunlop Star Tech tires

    Try this:
    Have one on the driving instructors drive your car (with you in drivers seat) for a session
    YOU WILL BE AMAZED OF THE PERFORMANCE OF THE V1
    ....and you see the line and gain track confidence of the V1...cost: FREE!!!!
    ........I did this last year...wow

    --Jerry

  10. #25
    PISNUOFF Guest

    Re: Best "Bang-for-your-Buck" Road Course Mods?

    Quote Originally Posted by smbstyle View Post
    good call. after reading what everyone is saying, I'm going to get used to the car first with majority stock components (except SS lines, fluid a
    Also, I think I'll wait to do the GC Coilover setup until I can get the FG2 shocks, which seems like will make a big improvement with the coilovers.
    For now, the only thing I'll be ordering is the Hawk DTC pads and CG lock, oh, and a GoPro for the track!
    You might consider other shocks if you plan on tracking it often. I run QA1 adjustable rebound shocks with GC 600/650. I can adjust them so they are nearly a stock ride on the street and dial them up to super stiff for the track. It only takes about 20 seconds to adjust all four. I'm pretty sure the cost is comparable to a set of FG2's.

  11. #26
    UnsafeAtAnySpd's Avatar
    UnsafeAtAnySpd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,647

    Re: Best "Bang-for-your-Buck" Road Course Mods?

    Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    You might consider other shocks if you plan on tracking it often. I run QA1 adjustable rebound shocks with GC 600/650. I can adjust them so they are nearly a stock ride on the street and dial them up to super stiff for the track. It only takes about 20 seconds to adjust all four. I'm pretty sure the cost is comparable to a set of FG2's.
    Where'd you get them and how much?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Gurney View Post
    Do you guys run these front and rear, or just front?
    I run them all the way around. Cheap as far as car parts go.

  12. #27
    UnsafeAtAnySpd's Avatar
    UnsafeAtAnySpd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,647

    Re: Best "Bang-for-your-Buck" Road Course Mods?

    Quote Originally Posted by tweeter81 View Post

    I have run the 600 front / 650 rear combo for awhile and really liked it, but with that combo I was still getting some body roll in the rear and my 295s were rubbing. So, I decided to up the ante and use 750 lb/in front and 800 lb/in rear and it seems to work even better. I have only used that setup on the track once so far, but I was pleased with it. Another thing to keep in mind: if you have the FE4 (stock) shocks, you probably should stay with a max of 500/550 spring rates, as that will match up to the softer FE4s. If you have FG2s (if you don't, you should) then you can go much higher on your spring rates.



    Listen to unsafe, I have seen him drive and he really knows what he is doing. He is super hard on brakes, but with our sweet stock setup and the few mods he has done, he can push those brakes far beyond what you would think possible on the track. I have a lot of the same mods and totally agree with this list.
    I didn't realize you had the higher spring rates on your set-up. I wonder how high one could go on rates before the shock options we have couldn't handle them.

    Thanks for the kind words. Can't wait until we can both get out there to represent on track. Hopefully you can make it down for a whole weekend next year at High Plains or something. They have covered parking and everything now.

    It looks like I won't be making it to the last event of the season (had to miss this last one too because of car issues. ugh). Looks like I have a hole in the radiator. I'm glad it's held up this long, but I want to go ahead and upgrade while I'm at it. Don't have those kind of funds right now though...

  13. #28
    tweeter81's Avatar
    tweeter81 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Gillette, WY
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,622

    Re: Best "Bang-for-your-Buck" Road Course Mods?

    Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd View Post
    I didn't realize you had the higher spring rates on your set-up. I wonder how high one could go on rates before the shock options we have couldn't handle them.

    Thanks for the kind words. Can't wait until we can both get out there to represent on track. Hopefully you can make it down for a whole weekend next year at High Plains or something. They have covered parking and everything now.

    It looks like I won't be making it to the last event of the season (had to miss this last one too because of car issues. ugh). Looks like I have a hole in the radiator. I'm glad it's held up this long, but I want to go ahead and upgrade while I'm at it. Don't have those kind of funds right now though...
    I definitely want to get down there at least twice next season. I had a great time last Memorial Day. I need to get into Group 3 for at least 2-3 track days at HPR before I will be ready to step up to Time Trials. Btw, I went through and classed my car, and it falls squarely into TTA, which I'm pretty sure I won't be at all competitive in TTA. TTB would be another story, but I will need to figure something out before actually doing the TTs.

  14. #29
    kirchbed's Avatar
    kirchbed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    349

    Re: Best "Bang-for-your-Buck" Road Course Mods?

    Quote Originally Posted by tweeter81 View Post
    I definitely want to get down there at least twice next season. I had a great time last Memorial Day. I need to get into Group 3 for at least 2-3 track days at HPR before I will be ready to step up to Time Trials. Btw, I went through and classed my car, and it falls squarely into TTA, which I'm pretty sure I won't be at all competitive in TTA. TTB would be another story, but I will need to figure something out before actually doing the TTs.
    What would you need to do to get into TTB?

  15. #30
    PISNUOFF Guest

    Re: Best "Bang-for-your-Buck" Road Course Mods?

    Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd View Post
    Where'd you get them

    I purchased them from another forum member. They were hit hard and I had them rebuilt for an additional $50 each. That's another nice thing about them, they're rebuildable.

    I ran the stiffer springs that Tweeter has with my QA1's. The car felt unstable at high speeds. It felt like I couldn't go fast enough to get the car to squat. It still felt like it was floating at 145 mph. There was hardly a hint of body roll in the corners though. For slower tracks with more corners, they were awesome.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting