Anyone running an ATI SuperDamper?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Anyone running an ATI SuperDamper? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; The search function was less than helpful in trying to find any past threads about anyone using an ATI balancer. ...
    AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Question Anyone running an ATI SuperDamper?

The search function was less than helpful in trying to find any past threads about anyone using an ATI balancer. I recently picked one up and am hoping to get it installed this week before I head down to VIR for 3 days on track. The install instructions are almost worthless, and don't include any belt lengths.

So, if you are running an ATI SuperDamper, what belts are you running? (Assuming you've got the 10% underdrive one, which is what I've got).

Do you know if the ATI hub required honing at all to fit the crank properly? Any other install irregularities? The brief, crappy install instructions make it sound like it's a direct swap for the stock crank pulley, but I know ATI sells a pinning kit to pin the balancer to the crank - is that needed or not?
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

soflarick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

Re: Anyone running an ATI SuperDamper?

Sounds like an interference fit. Did you search on the other site?

Where did you get it? Curious to find out who's got the best deal these days. I've been considering one of the less expensive units, but the only damper that doesn't seem to have issues is the ATI piece. It's 10%, correct? What components does it underdrive?

I got it from Thunder Racing. From what I could see online, most places have it around the same price. Thunder's price was higher than most, but when I pointed that out the lady hooked me up (they had just finished a sale a couple days earlier, so she gave me the same % off as the sale had been). Summit and Jegs were cheaper, but both had some delay in shipping, whereas a smaller shop would drop-ship it straight from ATI, so I got it 2 days later.

I'm honestly not sure if the 4-rib belt is underdrive or only the 6-rib. I'll be honest, I haven't really paid any attention to the belt setup on this car, and I just assumed it was a single serpentine belt. ATI's website showed the Vette dampers come with a 2nd pulley, but for the V dampers it didn't show that (despite them sharing part numbers), so I assumed my assumption was correct.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

kirchbed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Pat - what's the benefit of an aftermarket damper?

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I have to admit, they feel better and the vibrations are less due to the proper design.

I ran the 25% vette UD and i have to admit, i was happy...BTW get the pinnin kit as well, you wont have to worry about the crank bolt poppin off. Also get the ARP crank bolt for multiple removals. Incase you wanna change the cam a few times...

You will see a slight increase in idle temp and your ac may not run as cold...Also you will need to find the right belt for the AC. For some strange reason we are not the same as the Vette...

Enjoy the power and the thrill of the ride

maxspeed96ct is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

I dont think it underdrives the A/C. Just evrything else

The ATI tech said that it is a press fit, use the proper tools, don't use the bolt to install it (I am more than sure you know that AAIIIC), and he liked the ARP bolt more than the GM bolt. I forgot to ask what accessories it actually underdrove.

I'd like to see an install writeup when you get the chance.

Lindsay is going to be doing it for me, dropping the car off tonight.

- Both belts are underdrive. For the 6-rib, the 60805 belt I picked up worked just fine. For the 4-rib, the tech at Lindsay went with a 40372. Basically, both belts are 1-1.5" shorter than stock.

- If you happen to have a Fidanza twin disc clutch and headers, install is a big PITA. In order to torque the crank pulley bolt to spec, you have to hold the flywheel. They couldn't do it the way they normally do because of the Fidanza flywheel, so they had to install a flywheel holder tool that bolts to the block and engages the teeth on the edge of the flywheel. Unfortunately, to install said flywheel holder tool, the left side Kooks header had to come out.

- I didn't weigh either the stock pulleys or the ATI damper, but I would say the stock one is lighter - maybe a pound or two?

- The vibration at ~2000rpm when you have the tranny out of gear and just rev the engine up is gone. Other than that I honestly can't tell a difference in smoothness or anything like that, but I didn't expect to feel a difference. This is a mod for the engine's benefit, not for mine.

Hindsight being 20/20, now that I know what a PITA the install is (and thus how expensive it is), I probably would wait and do this along with some other work (like a cam install) to make it more cost-effective.

verywhitedevil is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V

i just received mine. went with the ATI 10%,917278 with -66 rubber . picked mine up for 220 shipped

The tech at ATI said "Pin kit depends on what you are doing withe car. Super Charger? Road Racing? High RPM make it needed. Otherwise its not needed."

I have not installed yet and after reading posts need to do with another mod. I have the Kooks, but with stock clutch, so hopefully that will eliminate some time.

I got one through what looks like the same deal. It arrived in 3 pieces. It has to be assembled with blue loctite. I have to examine the OEM balancer to see how the rearward pulley mounts. We were extremely fortunate to find the deal. I was told they do this every once in a while. Remember, a new GM crank bolt, or an ARP bolt, are required. Do not reuse the bolt you removed.

Holy shit, where did you guys find them for $220?! That's like 50% off!

I had an order through Summit for it, then found a thread on another website that ATI had a few blems for sale on ebay. This was last week. There may still be a couple available. When I ordered one, there were still 5 available. ATI said they occasionally have blems of varying part numbers that they will sell on ebay. Cosmetic blemishes only. I got lucky, finally.

Quote Originally Posted by soflarick View Post
    I have to examine the OEM balancer to see how the rearward pulley mounts.
    The rear pulley on the stock setup is integrated with the front pulley - it's all one piece. There's about a 1/2" or so gap between the pulleys, so when you mount the rear pulley on the ATI just make sure you've got it facing the right direction. It should not be flush up against the main pulley, you want a gap.

That's what I was thinking since butting up the pullies would create a gap between the hubs. Thanks, again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.