some questions for the guys who have done headers - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, some questions for the guys who have done headers in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Thanx Cancer!! If there are any other things I should know please respond to this thread. I work @ a ...
    ranger2525 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts-v,2003 escalade,2000 corvette conv. 1996 harley, 20

Re: some questions for the guys who have done headers

Thanx Cancer!!
    If there are any other things I should know please respond to this thread. I work @ a dealership, Honda/ Subaru as the parts director so tools should not be an issue. But I would like to have any other things I need on hand. As rack time is @ a premium.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

First of all, go here --> http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...ers/index.html

If you do Kooks, the biggest difference is the steering shaft. You have to remove a bolt and swing the shaft to the side, install the header, then rebolt the shaft together ... 1/2 minute tops. DON'T turn the steering wheel while it's disconnected. Not absolutely certain with TPIS, Katech, or the newer brands that have come out recently.

Lastly, the above install procedure omits mention of putting the dip stick tube back in place. I personally just about crapped my pants trying to get it back it (I finally did ... get it in, that is), and others have had their cars towed to a shop to reinstall it when they were unsuccessful, so just FYI.

Having access to a lift is a big plus. You'll do great.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

ranger2525 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts-v,2003 escalade,2000 corvette conv. 1996 harley, 20

Thanx for all the great info guys! I'll repost when done. Camshaft next. So I will be leaning on you guys once again.
    Scott

CI-V-IL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Raven Black CTS-V

Rockauto also has MLS exhaust manifold gaskets for less than half of the price of the GM ones.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2652610

I, unfortuantely, bought GM gaskets and found these a few days after.

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    DON'T turn the steering wheel while it's disconnected
    Just to reiterate Randy's pointer. If you do you will be buying an air bag clock spring. Tie the steering wheel in place or something when you have it disconnected. Not a step to be taken lightly...

Quote Originally Posted by CI-V-IL View Post
    Rockauto also has MLS exhaust manifold gaskets for less than half of the price of the GM ones.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2652610

I, unfortuantely, bought GM gaskets and found these a few days after.
    I have re-used my OEM manifold gaskets 3-4 times now with zero issues.

Also to further the discussion on the dip stick...It really isn't that hard to get back into place but rather getting it COMPLETELY seated is the issue. Before you remove it make sure you see where it goes into the block. Then when you are done ensure the "ring" around it is seated flush or you will get a leak.

With my B&B I had to do some light grinding on the dip stick where it bolts to the heads. I think someone else did also. Of course I think there are probably some variances on the dip stick and its bends so that might not apply to you.

Bottom line SEE and FEEL what "good" is like before you start so you know what you need to go back to.

deedubb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): E85 Powered - Maggie'd V

Damn, I've done headers 3 times now on Vs and it never gets easier lol. The o2 extensions work on the 04-05s but for some reason don't clip in for the 06-07s. But the 06-07s don't need them if you free up slack in the wire.
    Ive been burnt on the "don't spin the wheel with the steering shaft disconnected" bug. Its a $500 mistake.
    My 1 7/8's headers rubbed on the shaft, but nothing a few blows from a dead blow plastic hammer couldn't fix.
    I've also reused gaskets a few times and never had any leaks.
    Regarding the ARP studs, I had a pain with them too. I had to have someone hold the header from below while I hand threaded a few studs enough to hold the header up on its own.

Thats just my .02 Cents from multiple installs/removals.

Anywho, I have a set of barely used o2 sensors from my 05 V available for sale. PM for details.

Cobrahunter is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Black Cts-V

I used GM OEM LS1 manifold Gaskets & these spark plug wire covers http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DEI-010502/

no leaks & no wires melting

I was able to untangle my 02 wires & made them reach w/out extensions

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.