Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Cheapest way to 200mph.

10K views 60 replies 29 participants last post by  Supershafts 
#1 ·
I want to start running standing miles. Of course, I want 200. I haven't run one yet but remember someone in here hit the limiter. I'm not sure if they had any mods. This has been discussed before but I don't think anyone pursued it. My first run is Oct.10th. I will have new street tires and a bottle. Everything else is stock. I want to remove the limiter to start an see if I can get her up over 165. Thoughts...

#3 ·
Just a guess, but to get a first gen V up to 200 in a standing mile, you would probably need somewhere around 600-650 HP (crank). Not an easy task...

Also, our cars do not have a speed limiter, they are gear-limited (redline in 5th gear) to 163 in stock form. Without a bunch more HP, you really aren't going to pull at all in 6th gear either because it is such a tall overdrive gear.

I have hit the top speed twice and it felt like the car had more (I'm only slightly modified - but the longtube headers really make a huge difference at the top end), I was just afraid to shift into 6th at that speed to see if my modified V could pull a bit and hit 165-170.

To answer your question: I think the cheapest way to get to 200 MPH would be to install a blower (550 HP) + 100 shot of nitrous (100 HP) for a total of 650 HP or approximately 530 rwHP.

#5 ·
My V still pulling slowly at 177 when the computer shuts the car off. I make around 500 rwhp. But that's not the standing mile either. To break 200 in a standing mile you'll need a lot more power.

#7 ·
There is a speed limiter. I think it's 183, or whatever the stock tires are rated at.
600 at the crank isn't too hard, if your pockets are deep enough. I think you need a lot more than that. The V seems to hit an air wall just past 160.
Well,,,long story short, look at the Bugatti and how much it need to get to 150mph. The look at what it needs to get to top speed.
My opinion is that you'd need a monster V to get over 200 in a standing mile. V2 only got to 160.

#10 ·
I'm 99% sure its limited to 163 because I bounced off it more than once. My car always seems to pull hard up to 150. Then it seems like kind of a slower climb. I can't believ V2 only hit 160. That was dissapointing to hear as I thought I would max her by the 1 mile post. I guess its a little harder than what I thought but I still can't wait to see how she does. I have a while to get her in shape.

#8 ·
Fuel cut off is 175 give or take a few mph. Fuel cut off if oil starvation is a problem, 168. My personal car has shut me down on more than one occasion at 177. I actually saw 178 for a brief second once and then it cut fuel. I have a YouTube video of it cutting fuel at 177. Looks like I let off but my foot was still planted.

#9 ·
Not cheap whichever way you spin it. A big supercharger or turbo (some engine and fueling work) can net you 650 to 700. Get some hood vents as I strongly suspect our aerodynamics we're not tested at those speeds and the last thing you want is your front end going airborne. Tires of course. May want to consider rerouting and rechanneling air at the front. That big grill of ours is like a balloon.

It's doable but I'd rather see someone else do it first. :)

#12 ·
Here you go!

#13 ·
Dont worry about the oil pressure and CEL in that video. Engine is in good shape, sensor problems.

#14 ·
Truth of the matter is that the V1 would have to be modified so heavily that it would stop becoming a V1 and become a whole new car. You are basically going to need twin turbos, different gears, headers, exhaust, intake, a custom grind cam, a specific tune, fuel pump, and God knows what else...not to mention the weight of the wheels and you would need slicks.

My guess, roughly $acrapload to get you there....maybe.

#18 ·
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Are you all serious? Ok, i can get my tahoe up to 160mph but only after i changed just about everything and i am still hittin the wall. one word, AERODYNAMICS.

Our car doesnt have it, so unless you found a way to lessen the drag coefficient they you wont really see that speed. Lets also not forget the CTS-VR tops off at 170mph. Our chassis is not build for this much structual pressures. Any basic pilot can tell you drag is cubical, so it is not a linear in any way. As you pick up speed you will notice more and more that the car feels heavy. You would need about 650WHP to start to accomplish this, as well as PLENTY of chassis modifications where you would need to secure your rear end to the car with more than just four bolts. All the rubber would have to be changed to poly urethane, and your tires would have to be at least Racing DOT type. Thats atleast 2000$ just for tires. I know for i bought the new Good year G:2 series tires for my car. I am also lookin to get the new HRE CF40 ultra light wheels and my brake system is SECOND to only one car, the predator. He has to run 19" to run his brakes. I can squeeze mine into 18"wheels so i am an inch smaller than him...I may look to EPP for my chassis upgrades for i have heard they have a nice kit to keep the rear in place for those HIGH HP output cars...Lets leave on a tiny note we all seem to forget. Our cars weigh soo much...The Z06 clocks in at 3180 while we are at a WHOPPIN 3850....Thats 670lb more weight we have to lug around.

Lets not kill ourselves over something that we should be spending AT LEAST 100,000 to accomplish. The Z06 does it safely as well as most porsches and the audi Rs6 has the potential to do that speed.

BTW you get what you pay for, i rather pay a little more and get what i want than pay a little less and be disappointed.

#23 ·
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Are you all serious? Ok, i can get my tahoe up to 160mph but only after i changed just about everything and i am still hittin the wall. one word, AERODYNAMICS.

Our car doesnt have it, so unless you found a way to lessen the drag coefficient they you wont really see that speed. Lets also not forget the CTS-VR tops off at 170mph. Our chassis is not build for this much structual pressures. Any basic pilot can tell you drag is cubical, so it is not a linear in any way.

Remember guys Lund Cadillac broke the 200mph barrier with a modified 04 CTS, and they really didn't do anything to the aero except lower the car a bit and put some weight in at the back seats.

So I suspect a V can do it, but my numbers guess closer to 850+HP to get there.

#19 ·
I think rlj5 needs to go wind his V up and report back if 864rwhp is enough to break 200mph!!!!!!!

#24 ·
Care to increase that little list of yours...Turbo cheaged V6 with a roll cage, fire supressin system, A shit load of weight reduction, and a little weight balancing to have the car probably at 50:50 instead of the stock 54:46

You cant cut corners, and you will have to dump a lot of money at the car to get this task accomplished. If it were that easy to break 200mph then everyone would. But only a handful of true cars are able to do this. Most Ferraris, Porsches, VW, and BMWs cap off at 180mph.

Travelin at 200mph means you are goin at 293ft/sec You sure you wanna cross that bridge?

#28 ·
I'm not gonna attempt with this car. I thought it would be a little less complicated. Although, I know they make mini-jets. I will just start to do some of these events and learn from there.
As far as 293ft/sec....i wish you didn't tell me that cause now I'm gonna need to break 300ft/sec....its right there! Someday I will get 200mph on land.

#25 ·
I would if I could!!!!!!!

#30 ·
I think Naf might be taking his advice a bit far.

getting to 200mph in general is a serious feat. but some sedans have come very close and if i recall a while ago a e amg did it as well. you just need to make some serious power to pull that figure in within a mile.

the best way to do it in a v would also be the worst way to do it in a v. basically run the whole thing like one giant 1/4 mile, but due to our weak rear you would have to baby it out of the hole and make that up with alot of power on the big end. i would say if you can run a 1/4 around a low 11 sec run and really get your 4th gear to hustle it might be within your grasp.

but i think you would need around 900+ to do it in a v with a soft launch. i know the c63 ( if i recall correctly) gets up to the 170 range with a tune and headers (a high 11 sec car) which weighs near our car with a bit more hp/tq but a serious launch on dr's or slicks.

#33 · (Edited)
Ok I finally have the answer to your question. Okay, maybe not the cheapest, but definitely one of the coolest.

Twin turbo Superleggera Gallardo. I would do a lot of illegal stuff to own this car lol

#46 ·
It can be done, Anything is possible. It wouldnt even be that hard. 900hp to the wheels would clear that for sure.
So on a V1 it may be a little more than just tape on the grill and $800-$1200 in mods like SuperShaft says?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.