Brake ducting for the V1?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Brake ducting for the V1? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So has anyone installed brake ducting for improved cooling? and improved braking at the track? ....I searched but could not ...
    jerrycecco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Brake ducting for the V1?

So has anyone installed brake ducting for improved cooling?
    and improved braking at the track?

....I searched but could not find...

If you done it, please post your results, which kit/parts you used
    and pictures would be GREAT!!!!

--Jerry

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Brake ducting for the V1?

Ya, this is kinda been put to sleep...Look up lindsay and you should find a thread started by luke.

I am lookin into a kit made for the Z06 and will modify it to suit the V. Pretty much GM made everything basically the same, we just need to tweak it slightly to fit...

Zo6PwRd Guest

You mean for the rear brakes, cause you know the front already have ducting running in them under the fog lights.

Naf

Actually you have a point where the fresh air may enter the front wheel well. But there isnt any hoses connecting that point to the rotors for fresh air to be directed to the rotors.

The rears dont get as bad as the fronts for most of the braking is up front. I assume we have >60% up front and <40% in the rear. Thats why we go through more front pads then rear.

To do the routin for the rear is a toughie, but possible. Look at the old 1980s Z series racers and you will notice where they get their air supply.

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Zo6PwRd View Post
    You mean for the rear brakes, cause you know the front already have ducting running in them under the fog lights.
    Those do slightly more than absolutely nothing. To be at all effective the ducts need to be routing air directly to the center of the rotor.

I got some pieces from Luke that were left over from his attempt to have someone make a kit. In the coming weeks I'll have to experiment a bit with what he gave me.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    Those do slightly more than absolutely nothing. To be at all effective the ducts need to be routing air directly to the center of the rotor.

I got some pieces from Luke that were left over from his attempt to have someone make a kit. In the coming weeks I'll have to experiment a bit with what he gave me.
    interesting, I can buy some Z06 plastic 2.5 housing for $20/side
    my thought was to see if they NOT rub on my 245's in the front
    then get some brake hosing
    the trick will be how to connect the hose to the spindle?
    I found a non local company that sells brackets but they are for a newer GTO
    do you have the spindle brackets?
    can you post/email me pictures of those brackets?

jerrycecco@tx.rr.com

Rollbar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04- V with 6.2 L

We used 3 inch flex duct on mine.Did away with most of the fog lamps and replaced with hard plastic intake.The 3 '' flex is very tight fit.At the rotor my shop fabbed a steel 3'' piece that would accept the flex.Not sure what they bolted it to but the air outlet is about 1/2 inch from rotor.By using this system I am not able to use all of steering travel ( lock to lock) without tearing up the ducting.I cannot find fans that will fit 3" duct,only 4" like the Vettes are using.We could not find room for 4" duct in 04 V.Even though my system greatly improved cooling,the ducting makes 2- 70-80 degree turns-not ideal for good flow-especially with high pressure zone at front of car. 3" fans would be really helpful.Where else can we pull cool air from and utilize 4" duct?

Naf

Just bought a set from Specter Werks that are actually for the Z06 Vette...A little investment, but worth it if it all works...

Quote Originally Posted by Naf View Post
    Just bought a set from Specter Werks that are actually for the Z06 Vette...A little investment, but worth it if it all works...
    I looked on their web site and could not find anything
    do you have their part#?
    what was the cost?

--Jerry

c4ss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, Black

Sounds like a Naf special. I know they make special parts for him once in awhile...

And being that it's from Spectre, it's probably not cheap.

interesting find...
    ZR1 uses some kind of brake "flaps"
    ...I assume to catch air and direct it towards the brakes...
    .......looks like some we can build MUCH cheaper and no rubbing issues:

--Jerry

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Again, those are marginally more effective than nothing at all. Porsche has been using flaps like that for years, but real track cars aren't trying to make do with just those flaps.

I found these URL from a F body, I think the kit is universal:
    http://home.comcast.net/~miketaylor68/Gordon/gordon.htm

anyone seen this before?
    Looks like no cutting required...
    thoughts?

--Jerry

soflarick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

Whatever you do, make sure the ducting is aimed directly at the center hat of the rotor. Air striking the rotor face may cause cracking and/or uneven cooling of the rotor. Just get some hose from aircraft spruce and run it from the factory port to the center hat, and make a funnel similar to the photo in the above link.

mitchntx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

These are on my road race car.

http://www.blainefabrication.com/ductplenums.html

Seals the air into the center of the rotor disc and forces it through the veins.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.