kooks header install
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, kooks header install in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Any suggestions on the easiest way to install the driver side header? Any tricks or remove steering shaft? Thank you ...
    fazz1225 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 cts-v

kooks header install

Any suggestions on the easiest way to install the driver side header? Any tricks or remove steering shaft? Thank you in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

Re: kooks header install

unbolt the steering shaft bolt that is visible from the engine bay and it will slide right up.. its very straightforward once your in there working and the driver side is the easiest side ..i did the entire install by myself on jack stands in one day, its really not that bad.

search there is a ton of info on this with pics... btw all the hard work and frustration now will definitely pay off.. headers are the ::
    tips:
    use a pair of pliers and pry-bar to pop off the stock spark plug heat-shields
    gear wrenches

bneal1022 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, K&N, Borla, short throw w/ Holden knob, hotchkis

yup. just unbolt the steering shaft at the lower connection and the shaft pushed back up into the firewall. Remember to be sure your alternator / starter cables are well clear from touching the headers. I wrapped mine in some inswool and then coil wrapped it in reflective heat tape. I know some had arcing and it put a hole in the manifold and had to replace a 900$ harness. Wrap that stuff up. I also used some taylor cool sox on my plug wires. re-torque the bolts (I got ARP studs) after a few hunderd miles

maxspeed96ct is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

The steering shaft puts up a good fight but be patient. Ones it breaks loose you'll be calm again.

Plus putting on the kooks is alot easier then removing the old ones.

Zo6PwRd Guest

Might as well change the plugs while you are in there, they are soooo easy from underneath with no headers on the car.

UnsafeAtAnySpd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero

When you reconnect the steering shaft don't tighten it too much. It may 'pinch' and not disconnect easily again. Ran into that after I put a hole in my header. As mentioned wrap the alternator cable and get it out of the way.

fazz1225 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 cts-v

Headers are in thanks for the help....

06CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

I'm going to be doing mine in the near future. I will be doing mine at the same time I swap my heads for a set of TF. Once I have the heads off I'm planning on sliding the headers in then bolt the heads on. I should have plenty of clearance then.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Steering shaft is a piece of cake.

It's the dipstick tube that's scary.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Reviving an old thread, as this came up when I searched for "Kooks header steering shaft".

This is the part of the steering shaft that we're talking about, right? It looks like it should slide, but damned if I can get the thing to move. Since I'm not sure which part is supposed to be sliding, I've had both bolts out, and I've had just the bottom bolt (the one on the left in the picture) out, but either way nothing wants to move.

(The end of the zip-tie is not jammed into the steering shaft - that's just an optical illusion from the picture.)
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    I think I remember taking the furthest forward of those 2 out and the lower part of the shaft (hehe I said shaft) toward the front of the car dropped out. Is it rusted or something? I remember mine literally sliding out when I yanked on it after the bolt was out.

I think I'm being bitten by what UnsafeAtAnySpeed mentioned - that if the bolts are tightened too much, then that sleeve pinches down tight and doesn't want to let go even after you pull the bolts.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

JFensty is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Blk Cts-V
    Just did this last weekend. Bolt closest to firewall and bolt on u joint at rack connection.

Lou72 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

I second that it should be the bolt closer to the firewall. That's where I separated it when I had the column out for a steering wheel position sensor replacement. The two pieces that have red arrows on them in the picture should slide into one another.

OK, thanks. This had to take an unexpected back seat after I stupidly managed to hydrolock the engine in car #2 Monday evening. Got towed home, went into the garage and began re-installing the Kooks headers so I could get the V back on the road and have a car to drive to work in the morning. Finished that up about 2:30am.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.