Summary table of swaybar options - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Summary table of swaybar options in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Just installed the Addco 2290 front (1.375" solid core, ~110% stiffer than stock, 28.5 lbs) and 2289 rear (1" solid ...
    FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Summary table of swaybar options

Just installed the Addco 2290 front (1.375" solid core, ~110% stiffer than stock, 28.5 lbs) and 2289 rear (1" solid core, ~125% stiffer than stock, 14.4 lbs) sway bars. I'm using Energy Suspension brackets and bushings, since the hardware included by Addco doesn't include Zerk grease fittings. While heavy, I'm loving the roll resistance that they provide. Definitely need to get my car re-aligned--it's pushing pretty hard out of turns right now. Toe settings are about -0.1 degrees front (toe in) and +0.3 degrees rear (toe out). Will probably have that adjusted to 0 degrees front (neutral) and +0.1 degrees rear (toe out) to compensate.

The stiffness numbers that I provided above are estimates, based on my previous equipment: Hotchkis 2280 front (1.125" hollow core, 70% stiffer than stock, 9.0 lbs) and rear (1" hollow core, 90% stiffer than stock, 7.4 lbs) sway bars. I think the majority of the additional stiffness that the Addco rear bar provides is a result of its straighter construction. Every bend in the bar reduces its overall torsional stiffness. Comparison image:

Hotchkis 2280 rear bar (top), Addco 2289 rear bar (bottom)

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Good info!

BradCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2005 CTS-V

Fuzzylogic-

What is your driving impression of the Addco vs Hotchkis swaybars? I've have the LG Motorsport coilovers and am looking for less body roll. Also I have the CS 8.8 diff...since I don't remember how the rear swaybar is located in relation to the diff, hoping the Addco would fit with any interference.

The 8.8 should work fine with the Addco bar. If you're really concerned, maybe we can figure out how to get some comparison measurements.

The Hotchkis set is a little more balanced front-to-rear than the Addco set, which has a pretty massive front bar. Personally, I like the Addco set a lot better, because unlike other people, I adjust my spring rates and engineer my alignment settings to put the finishing touches on my car's front/rear roll stiffness and propensity to oversteer/understeer.

The biggest problem is that the stock brackets don't include grease Zerks. The Hotchkis brackets are better, both because they have Zerk fittings and the front bracket is a standard shape that relies on the included steel standoffs to "fix" our effed up mounting location. If you can machine or work metal, the Addco brackets might not be a problem for you--you could easily buy a set of Energy Suspension brackets to replace the Addco crap.

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk
    So Fuzzy are you currently running the Addco bar and KWv3?

Quote Originally Posted by Andringa View Post
    So Fuzzy are you currently running the Addco bar and KWv3?
    Yes. They work great together, although I'm presently planning on upping the rear spring rate to promote better roll resistance and push the car a little further toward oversteer.

hambycm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-v

Fuzzy, are you somehow doing your own alignment, or do you just take it to a shop and tell them what settings you want?

Sigfod is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

I would be interested to see what kind of settings people are running with their KW V3 coil-overs. I have been looking for a good setup prior to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by hambycm View Post
    Fuzzy, are you somehow doing your own alignment, or do you just take it to a shop and tell them what settings you want?
    I take it to a shop that has a great laser alignment rig and a guy that does this full time. He makes the adjustments to my specifications, following a discussion regarding the performance of the existing alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    I take it to a shop that has a great laser alignment rig and a guy that does this full time. He makes the adjustments to my specifications, following a discussion regarding the performance of the existing alignment.
    Any suggestions on initial setup of the KW coilovers for ride height and damper settings?

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfod View Post
    Any suggestions on initial setup of the KW coilovers for ride height and damper settings?
    The compression and rebound dampening settings recommended in the manual are a good starting point. Don't assume that the shocks will be set correctly when they arrive. The included springs with the kit are horrible--they sag about 1/2 inch over the first couple of days, above and beyond the mounts and brackets. If you want pictures of my settings, I may be able to snap a picture of the front and rear rings this weekend. The fronts were about 2/3 down from the top, if I recall correctly, and the rear rings are about 1/3 down from the top.

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

The 8.8 should work fine with the Addco bar. If you're really concerned, maybe we can figure out how to get some comparison measurements.

The Hotchkis set is a little more balanced front-to-rear than the Addco set, which has a pretty massive front bar. Personally, I like the Addco set a lot better, because unlike other people, I adjust my spring rates and engineer my alignment settings to put the finishing touches on my car's front/rear roll stiffness and propensity to oversteer/understeer.

The biggest problem is that the stock brackets don't include grease Zerks. The Hotchkis brackets are better, both because they have Zerk fittings and the front bracket is a standard shape that relies on the included steel standoffs to "fix" our effed up mounting location. If you can machine or work metal, the Addco brackets might not be a problem for you--you could easily buy a set of Energy Suspension brackets to replace the Addco crap.
    So are you saying that if I buy a set of Addco bars right now, that the brackets won't work as supplied?
    Would you mind listing or linking to the specific Energy Suspension brackets that you ended up using with your Addco bars?

After seeing a few action shots from our last autox I really want to get larger swaybars, I just haven't had time to research them for myself. Thanks!

The included brackets will work. They'll just be a royal pain to grease, since they don't have Zerks. I don't have the Energy Suspension part numbers at the moment. If you're in a hurry, use the part selector on Summit Racing to pick out a universal, greasable 1.375" and 1.0" kit. They come in red and black, I believe.

The compression and rebound dampening settings recommended in the manual are a good starting point. Don't assume that the shocks will be set correctly when they arrive. The included springs with the kit are horrible--they sag about 1/2 inch over the first couple of days, above and beyond the mounts and brackets. If you want pictures of my settings, I may be able to snap a picture of the front and rear rings this weekend. The fronts were about 2/3 down from the top, if I recall correctly, and the rear rings are about 1/3 down from the top.
    Fuzzy, some pictures would be awesome. Would you recommend replacing the stock springs with something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfod View Post
    Fuzzy, some pictures would be awesome. Would you recommend replacing the stock springs with something else?
    I'll do what I can. Still working on the spring question. I need to take some measurements and do a couple of quick calcs to achieve a wheel rate of approximately 2.0 Hz front and 2.5 Hz rear.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.