Maggie owners check for this - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Maggie owners check for this in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by wait4me Looking at those pictures. I would say you have it installed incorrectly. The line has no ...
    Stepside is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor

Re: Maggie owners check for this

Quote Originally Posted by wait4me View Post
    Looking at those pictures. I would say you have it installed incorrectly. The line has no restriction in it so it would technically be a vacume leak at that point. You should run a PVC valve or equivalent in that line going to that port. That would be why you are getting alot of oil. It is just sucking it right out off the rocker assembly inside that valve cover.

I usually run BOTH top ports to one single line, then put a PVC valve inline on the single line and install it on the large vacume port you are using. That way it is regulated and not such a large leak, then at wot, it will open the pvc valve and allow blow by to leave the crank case as designed..
    There is no PCV (Possitive Crankcase Ventilation) "Valve" aka one-way valve on the LS engines. The ventilation of the crankcase is done by way of baffling and/or orifice. So essentially, the LS engines have a small "built-in" vacuum leak. Also, I am not getting alot of oil before 'catch can' installation. I put the 'catch can' on as an extra measure of safety. Like you, I found it peculiar that GM engineers designed the LS engines with the orifice/baffling for PCV and No PCV valve!
    Maybe I'm too 'old school' but hence, a measure of safety with the 'catch can' and probably your method would be an extra-extra measure.
    I was just thinking; I wonder how much money GM saved by eliminating the PCV Valve . . ??

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

So after reading through this thread I still don't know which vacuum line to grab for my catch can! Can someone please tell me which line it is and I'll help make it crystal clear with some pics.

1. Passenger valve cover to intake tube

2. Drivers rear valve cover to left side maggie snout

3. Brake booster to right side maggie snout

I appreciate the help guys and think I know which line but... Also what are any of your thoughts on running a PCV valve as Jesse said? If so in what line and facing which direction?

I trust everyones holiday went well and I hope 2011 does the same for all.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

There is a one way valve on the brake booster.

I grabbed the vacuum line on the TB side (passenger side) at the top for the can "drain line".

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    There is a one way valve on the brake booster.

I grabbed the vacuum line on the TB side (passenger side) at the top for the can "drain line".
    I know about the check valve on the break booster, thanks. So would that be line number 1,2,3? I tried to make this very simple and dumbed down for myself and others that don't fully understand the methodology of a catch can. I know what it does but not sure how it does it. Then with Jesse posting about sucking oil out of the valve covers I am back at square one not knowing which line to tap into.

So which line do I put the catch can on? (To win the grand prize you may use my pic and paint to really make it clear)! lol

Thanks for the reply Heavy but I am a page behind you on the vacuum lines/catch can book.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Think of the catch can as just another item in series with the valve cover breather pipe to the vacuum input on the maggie.

There are several places on the maggie to grab vacuum and you can "tee" off of one of those or use one of the dedicated vacuum fittings.

As it was, I capped off the vacuum line that is opposite the brake booster feed as it was too strong and I opted for the one that connects to the fuel vapor solenoid (the black cylinder thing) on the fuel rail.

My TB had two vacuum fittings (stock).

On yours, I would use the snout connection to empty the catch can, tee both valve cover lines together and take that line to the catch can fill.

For less vacuum I would swap the lines with the fuel solenoid.

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    Think of the catch can as just another item in series with the valve cover breather pipe to the vacuum input on the maggie.

There are several places on the maggie to grab vacuum and you can "tee" off of one of those or use one of the dedicated vacuum fittings.

As it was, I capped off the vacuum line that is opposite the brake booster feed as it was too strong and I opted for the one that connects to the fuel vapor solenoid (the black cylinder thing) on the fuel rail.

My TB had two vacuum fittings (stock).

On yours, I would use the snout connection to empty the catch can, tee both valve cover lines together and take that line to the catch can fill.

For less vacuum I would swap the lines with the fuel solenoid.
    Excellent! That makes a good bit of sense and I see why I haven't been able to find a "Tap into X line" type answer.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.