[Help!] Battery not Charging Problem - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, [Help!] Battery not Charging Problem in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; FYI ... I had an alternator checked at Autozone, O'Reilly's and NAPA, each time passing their test. After each test, ...
    mitchntx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Re: [Help!] Battery not Charging Problem

FYI ... I had an alternator checked at Autozone, O'Reilly's and NAPA, each time passing their test.

After each test, I reinstalled and had the same charging issues.

Replaced the alternator and charging issue went away.

Operator error when testing alternators seems to be a real issue.

POS VETT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

More development. More info.

Well, tested the alternator at O'Reilly and it passed.

I took a voltmeter to the connector, switch the ignition key to on and this is what I got.

The gray wire (F terminal I believe) is grounded.

The orange wire (L terminal) has 0 volt.

So my wiring is screwed up, right ?

Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx View Post
    FYI ... I had an alternator checked at Autozone, O'Reilly's and NAPA, each time passing their test.

After each test, I reinstalled and had the same charging issues.

Replaced the alternator and charging issue went away.

Operator error when testing alternators seems to be a real issue.
    Add even more confusion to the mix

Stepside is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor

Make sure the terminal and the wire have a good connection to each other. If you measured 0v at the wire terminal, it is possible that the terminal and wire have a poor connection. How does it look? Is is it oxidized? Check further back on the wire. If you pinprick the wire, try to seal the pinprick hole, so it does not oxidize at that point in the future.

Ok, finally got the car running again. The alternator is charging just fine after replacing the connector with a pigtail; now it has more than enough slack should the engine wants to rock. My wife thinks I'm a hero

Tityrous is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V/12 CTS-V Black Diamond Coupe

you got the light off? our lights been on for almost a year!

Since obviously your alternator is charging, it's probably the gray wire that got frayed (in my case it's the orange wire). That's the wire that monitors the alternator output. The outside/jacket of the wire did not indicate that it's been damaged inside.

tommy compton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V

I'm having the same intermittant problem since last week. Flashes on my DIC that battery isn't charging, battery light comes on. Then it shuts off by itself. the battery light will turn on and off intermitantly, no real consistency. If i'm on the highway it doesn't seem to be as fequent, maybe heat related.
    I shielded all wires away from my headers(no obvious sizzling), and unplugged and reseated the alternator orange/gray connection.
    My battery voltage seems fine, and plugging it into a charger it seems relatively full charged. I even hooked the battery while the car was running and the car will still run. I'm going bat shit trying to figure this out. Where abouts was your wire frayed? So if my alternator seems to be charging it should be the grey wire?
    How long am I safe to ignore it?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy compton View Post
    I'm having the same intermittant problem since last week. Flashes on my DIC that battery isn't charging, battery light comes on. Then it shuts off by itself. the battery light will turn on and off intermitantly, no real consistency. If i'm on the highway it doesn't seem to be as fequent, maybe heat related.
    I shielded all wires away from my headers(no obvious sizzling), and unplugged and reseated the alternator orange/gray connection.
    My battery voltage seems fine, and plugging it into a charger it seems relatively full charged. I even hooked the battery while the car was running and the car will still run. I'm going bat shit trying to figure this out. Where abouts was your wire frayed? So if my alternator seems to be charging it should be the grey wire?
    How long am I safe to ignore it?
    I cut the wires about 1.5" from the connector and I got good solid signal. I wouldn't guess where it may have been frayed as the jacket looked fine or maybe it's just not making good contact with the terminal.

The gray wire, I believe, is how the PCM reads the field voltage as described previously by Stepside. If your battery got charged just fine, it's probably just the gray wire. See if you can wiggle it and have someone watch the light/navi screen.

I have no idea how long you got before you have to do something about it.

One question, do you have problem with motor mounts ?

Thanks for the insight. I have had poly mounts in my car for awhile, but I did have broken mounts last summer when I bought the car, they were real bad.
    I did pull that plug when the car was running, the battery light came on and the voltage on the DIC dropped to 12V+, I imagine thats's about what the actual battery is without the help of the alternator.

Thanks for the insight. I have had poly mounts in my car for awhile, but I did have broken mounts last summer when I bought the car, they were real bad.
    No problem. I'm starting to wonder if this type of charging problem is initiated by broken motor mount(s). These two wires are quite short coming out of the big bundle and the excessive engine movement put extraneous pulling.

I did pull that plug when the car was running, the battery light came on and the voltage on the DIC dropped to 12V+, I imagine thats's about what the actual battery is without the help of the alternator.
    Mine did the same. When the warning light is on, battery voltage would drop to just about 12V and then it would bled off fairly quickly depending on electrical load.

Okay so I plugged in my code reader and it says p0621 generator L-terminal circuit, I haven't tested the volts on it yet, but it appears that it is the same wire that was the culprit on yours, the orange wire. Previously when I unplugged the circuit I had both p0621 and p0622 history codes for both circuits. I had wait for the light to come back on so I could read it again.
    Did you reuse the stock connection but splice in a new length of wire? or just discard the connection all together? I hope mine is frayd at the connection like yours and not half way up the wiring harness or something dumb like that.

Okay so I plugged in my code reader and it says p0621 generator L-terminal circuit, I haven't tested the volts on it yet, but it appears that it is the same wire that was the culprit on yours, the orange wire. Previously when I unplugged the circuit I had both p0621 and p0622 history codes for both circuits. I had wait for the light to come back on so I could read it again.
    Did you reuse the stock connection but splice in a new length of wire? or just discard the connection all together? I hope mine is frayd at the connection like yours and not half way up the wiring harness or something dumb like that.
    I actually discarded the original connector and spliced in a new OEM pigtail (the wire length is now three times as long) I bought from a GM dealer. That pigtail is not exactly cheap, it was $30 and change with tax and that was a discounted price.

Well I replaced the connection, cut off about 2" of wire and still the light came back on, so I'm not sure P0621 means the alternator is on it's way out or not. I volt checked the wires and both have power when the light is off. It's seems my alternator is charging the battery, according to my display voltage it never drops when the battery not charging light comes on, so i'm confused. I either ignore it untill/if my alternator fails, or start shopping for an alternator. Or try tracing back the wiring to the fuse box and run a whole new set of wires?????
    Jiggling wires seems to do nothing when the light is on, man I'm going nuts.

Apparently this runs rampant on the corvette forum, also makes for a good read, and gives me a few new things to try before swapping alternators. I may just turn the code off.
    http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ng-system.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.